QoS vs Partick Thistle

jagfox

16 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I tend to agree, but I don't find it too amusing.

Why the Hell are we making it difficult for people to attend a football match?  Opening the terracing in advance would have allowed away fans to choose how to watch, would have afforded them the convenience of buying a ticket on match day, would have boosted the atmosphere by providing a properly four sided arena and would probably have resulted in a bigger crowd.

There would also have been more convenience for Queens supporters in that stand and it would just have been more courteous to our guests.  It pisses me off that we make an arse of these things.

There's not a lot of money to spare in football at our level. Most clubs aim to keep their costs down rather than speculate. The clubs will have discussed this and Thistle probably told Queens to expect 800-1000. Easy, then, to imagine Queens planning for this number without opening terracing to maximise income.

I think we all need to cut them some slack.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Arnold Layne said:

There's not a lot of money to spare in football at our level. Most clubs aim to keep their costs down rather than speculate. The clubs will have discussed this and Thistle probably told Queens to expect 800-1000. Easy, then, to imagine Queens planning for this number without opening terracing to maximise income.

I think we all need to cut them some slack.

Great post hope some Queens fans read this 

Have been surprised that Partick have sold 1000 tickets wonder if they will sell another 250 .

Fair enough. I guess if stewards check tickets before allowing people to move between sections, that might prevent some of the potential problems.

If away fans end up in the home section at least the week after we'll have a jobsworth steward standing at the gate between the terrace and East Stand preventing the fans from moving between the two stands...

Why the Hell are we making it difficult for people to attend a football match?  Opening the terracing in advance would have allowed away fans to choose how to watch, would have afforded them the convenience of buying a ticket on match day, would have boosted the atmosphere by providing a properly four sided arena and would probably have resulted in a bigger crowd.
There would also have been more convenience for Queens supporters in that stand and it would just have been more courteous to our guests.  It pisses me off that we make an arse of these things.

Why waste money opening up the terracing when all the Thistle fans can fit into the new stand.

Stop being such a drama queen

Given the current and forecasted weather conditions I would imagine there could be a possible H&S issue with opening an uncovered and crumbling terrace for away fans.

Also, it is a distinct possibility that Thistle fans could outnumber home fans for this game.

Lose this game and I suspect that’s our season over unless the purse strings are loosened to strengthen the squad for a top 4 push.

‘mon the Queens [emoji170]

4 minutes ago, Steeplechat said:

Why waste money opening up the terracing when all the Thistle fans can fit into the new stand.

Why open the terracing for any game?

These days in fact, everyone could usually fit in the new stand for league games.  Let's do that - we'll save a fortune.  Nothing else can possibly matter.

Great post hope some Queens fans read this 
Have been surprised that Partick have sold 1000 tickets wonder if they will sell another 250 .

To coin a phrase “great post hope some Queens fans read this”.

1 hour ago, Steeplechat said:

If the terrace was open, I doubt it would have been a waste of money.

We've already sold the initial 1,000. I'd guess we'll get close to the full 1,250 as well, and can almost guarantee this number would have been higher if the terrace was open. Possibly in the region of 1,500; a number which wouldn't be possible without disadvantaging even more of the home fans who sit in your new stand at present.

I get the whole "all fans could fit into x area of the stadium" dynamic. We could say that at Firhill. The Jackie Husband stand seats over 6,000 people - we could fit the whole support in that one stand for the majority of our games - but that's how it used to be, and it was a soulless, shite experience going to games. There's more to the football than just cost-cutting in every way possible, such as cramming everyone into one part of the ground.

If Thistle don't sell out the latest batch of additional tickets then QoS's approach will probably be seen as correct. 

If Thistle do sell these extra 250 tickets then it's been handled very badly perhaps in part because Queens have been poorly advised as to the anticipated size of the travelling support. 

Given that the game is now just a couple of days away and with the weather as it is I don't think we will shift the whole amount of the extra 250 tickets. 

Of greater concern to some travelling Thistle fans than getting into the game might be getting on the 10:13 train which looks like being a tad busy :-) 

44 minutes ago, John MacLean said:

If Thistle don't sell out the latest batch of additional tickets then QoS's approach will probably be seen as correct. 

If Thistle do sell these extra 250 tickets then it's been handled very badly perhaps in part because Queens have been poorly advised as to the anticipated size of the travelling support. 

Given that the game is now just a couple of days away and with the weather as it is I don't think we will shift the whole amount of the extra 250 tickets. 

I think this is a possible reason. Under Scottish Cup rules, Thistle could have insisted on up to 20% of the capacity (8,690) which would have been 1,738. The fact that their website talks of “final allocation” makes it appear that the decisions are all being made by Queens. If that is the case, they could have taken matters into their own hands and asked for as many as they wanted, up to 1,738. 

Unless, of course, the away terracing is actually shut, for some reason. In which case the capacity drops to 6,722. But 20% of that is still 1,344, which is more than the current number. So, it would appear that Thistle didn’t ask for their full allocation.

Of course, the other side of that is Queens could have made sure that up to 20% of capacity was available, just in case, even if that was 1,344.

Anyhoo, about the game. I expect Penrice to be the left CB of a 3 as a needs must. Don't see Muzzy, Erskine, Doolan or Bannigan being risked on this lego pitch either.

Guessed line up: (5-4-1)Cerny, McGinn, Keown, Barton, Penrice, Booth, Spittal, Osman, McCarthy, Lawless, Sammon

I can't shake the feeling that we are well and truly fucked ahead of this but I thought I would write down our options just to see exactly how fucked.

Worst case scenario XI

Leighfield

Mercer Rooney Brownlie Beerman

Murray Thomson Rankin Dykes

Fergusson Dobbie

Marginally better scenario

Martin

Rooney Fordyce Brownlie Mercer

Murray Thomson Rankin Beerman

Dykes Dobbie

Those teams are based on the assumption that Lyle isn't fit and Stirling is on the naughty step.  I'm not overly keen on bringing Fordyce straight back in as he could be a very important player for the rest of the season.  Without him though the defence looks terrifying.

I wouldn't be confident going into a tie with a League 2 side with these options.  The only saving grace is this is a game we are widely expected to lose so there is no great shame if we do.  It looked a very winnable tie when the draw was made though, which makes the current predicament very disappointing.

13 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

I can't shake the feeling that we are well and truly fucked ahead of this but I thought I would write down our options just to see exactly how fucked.

Worst case scenario XI

Leighfield

Mercer Rooney Brownlie Beerman

Murray Thomson Rankin Dykes

Fergusson Dobbie

Marginally better scenario

Martin

Rooney Fordyce Brownlie Mercer

Murray Thomson Rankin Beerman

Dykes Dobbie

Those teams are based on the assumption that Lyle isn't fit and Stirling is on the naughty step.  I'm not overly keen on bringing Fordyce straight back in as he could be a very important player for the rest of the season.  Without him though the defence looks terrifying.

I wouldn't be confident going into a tie with a League 2 side with these options.  The only saving grace is this is a game we are widely expected to lose so there is no great shame if we do.  It looked a very winnable tie when the draw was made though, which makes the current predicament very disappointing.

Even though our injured players are returning I don't expect many of them to feature on Saturday. Plus as mentioned already, our away record this season has been abysmal. I wouldn't be feeling pessimistic if I was a Queen of the South fan. I think this will be quite a tough match and probably only one goal in it. 

Hopefully we get our act together and stick about three past you's though etc... 

Team that drew 0-0 with Montrose 

Martin 

Rooney Fordyce Brownlie Marshall

Stirling Jacobs Rankin McFadden

Dobbie Lyle

And Fordyce hasn’t played since 28 November. Although I see we have signed a defender.

http://www.qosfc.com/news-3888

Eta team from our best result of the season 5-2 at Dunfermline on 9 December, with Fordyce already missing from that one. 

Martin

Mercer Brownlie Kerr Marshall

Stirling Jacobs Rankin Dykes

Dobbie Kane

2 hours ago, John MacLean said:

Of greater concern to some travelling Thistle fans than getting into the game might be getting on the 10:13 train which looks like being a tad busy :-) 

If that happens then the train to Lockerbie then a taxi or going down to Carlisle and then onto Dumfries  means only getting into Dumfries less than an hour later so it shouldn't be too much bother. 

Archived