QoS vs Partick Thistle

jagfox

13 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Did some of your fans form a circle and start dancing that day? I can recall a pitch invasion by Thistle in the 90s but I always assumed it was promotion celebrations!

That’s correct. We were celebrating avoiding relegation to the bottom tier and celebrating the success of the ‘Save The Jags’ campaign. The end of that season saw some light at the end of a very long tunnel for us.

Another random memory from that day was in the social club after the game. Carlisle had just avoided dropping out of the leagues with an injury time winner from their keeper. The QOS fans in the club were raging.

That was my first visit to Dumfries and it’s been one of my favourite away trips ever since.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That’s correct. We were celebrating avoiding relegation to the bottom tier and celebrating the success of the ‘Save The Jags’ campaign. The end of that season saw some light at the end of a very long tunnel for us.
Another random memory from that day was in the social club after the game. Carlisle had just avoided dropping out of the leagues with an injury time winner from their keeper. The QOS fans in the club were raging.
That was my first visit to Dumfries and it’s been one of my favourite away trips ever since.

That would be when Jimmy Glass scored against Plymouth.

That was the epitome of #scenes at a football match. Not that I was there, mind, but saw it on telly afterwards.

As for this game, can anyone tell me where’s best to park for the away end?
I’ve been to Palmerston numerous times but this is the first time I’ll ever have driven down.

Also, on that link posted above from Queens regarding ticket sales it says the next date for a postponement/replay will be Tuesday 30th.

Nothing about that on the Thistle site that I can see.

I’m assuming we’re remembering we’re playing Rangers on the 31st and that’ll just be binned if necessary?

Update from Queens R.E. tickets here.

No pay at the gate tickets for Thistle fans, and no terracing either.  Looks like we are giving you a bit more of the stand instead of opening the terracing which is a shame, but makes financial sense from our point of view.  A common theme at the moment.

As for parking, the closest parking for the away section is in the Ice Bowl car park that is adjacent to the ground.  There is also plenty of on-street parking in the neighbouring streets.  There is a large car park at the Queens Arena which probably offers your best chance of a space.  This is however at the opposite side of the ground to the away section.

34 minutes ago, Hammer Jag said:

That’s ridiculous :lol:

What does Palmerston hold, just under 9000? There will be no more than 4000 at the game. 

Put like that it does seem ridiculous that potentially we could be turning away Thistle fans on the day despite 2/3 of the ground being empty.

However it has been well communicated that you have to buy your tickets in advance, and are there really (m)any people who decide on the spur of the moment to take a trip to Dumfries in January to take in a football match?  I very much doubt it, most people will have this planned in advance.

This all stems from the balls-up a few years back when St Johnstone brought more than their allocation could take causing a fair bit of chaos on the day.  Away fans being given a fixed allocation of tickets is fairly commonplace, I can't see anyone who wants to go to this game missing out.

This probably isn't the thread for it, but in an ideal world the Terregles Street terracing would be open permanently giving away fans ample capacity and the choice to sit or stand.  Unfortunately we are told that the costs due to a whole manner of red tape makes this impossible, which is a real shame.  If it was at all possible for us to get round this I would love the club to investigate. 

My understanding is that for smaller attendances the away fans share the same toilets and pie stall as the home fans in the Rosefield Salvage Stand.  I'm not certain about this but where I sit in that stand roughly on the half-way line, I have certainly noticed an increase in away fans walking backwards and forwards in recent seasons.  If away fans can walk freely in amongst home fans without causing any issues, surely it isn't too much of a stretch to have them walking freely between stand and terrace.  The other cost implication was the need to provide turnstyles, toilets and catering facilities for the terracing.  Is this really needed?  Surely they could enter via the away turnstyle in the Rosefield Salvage Stand and use the facilities there as well?

I'm sure there are countless examples but the first one that springs to mind was Shielfield Park earlier in the season, I watched the game from the covered terrace across from the main stand, I had to walk round half the ground to go for a pee and buy a pie.  I coped with such a tortuous experience and lived to tell the tale. 

I think our terrace could be a real asset for those that want an "old-school" experience.  For most of my life it was accepted as fact that the terrace was beyond repair, never to be used again.  When it was suddenly brought back into action it was a pleasant surprise, and the atmosphere at those games vs Hearts and Hibs was as good as I have experienced at Palmerston.  It would be a real shame for it to be consigned to the history books again.

That’s ridiculous :lol:
What does Palmerston hold, just under 9000? There will be no more than 4000 at the game. 

If you sell out your allocation I’ll be surprised if crowd manages 2500
Our home crowds have been poor this season

Palmerston is a plastic pitch, I think

It is, but as alluded to by Distant Doonhamer that didn’t stop Craig Thompson abandoning our recent match with Dundee Utd at half time due to a frozen pitch.

I’m sure SD will confirm, but I don’t think we’ve had any postponements since the 3G pitch went down.

On 13/01/2018 at 12:17, H Wragg said:

How cold overnight would it have to be for the Palmerston pitch to be in doubt?

I see the latest BBC forecast for Dumfries is showing -3 Friday into Saturday. emoji45.png

Might depend on whether they put the salt down or not. It wasn’t clear whether they did for the recently abandoned Dundee U game*.

As for the crowd, ours have been quite low this season. With players leaving this month, others rumoured to be leaving, no replacements seemingly in the pipeline and with the squad being augmented by more and more U20s, it is hardly likely to encourage many to come back. Might even encourage a good few to give this one a miss. If we make some signings this week, the whole complexion might change. Otherwise there might not be much of a difference between the number of away fans and home ones.

*edit

1 hour ago, Northfield 53 said:

Do you think you will sell out of your now 1000 tickets .

Dunno, the ticket website is saying there's been none available all weekend but I assume they haven't added the extra 200 to it yet. Imagine it'll be pretty close to selling out. With it being unallocated seating it'll be less of a faff with some folk wanting to sit in their allocated seats and groups of folk wanting to sit or stand together, but there'll also be odd seats left here and there as groups of friends stick together then leave a seat in between. As long as it's stewarded sensibly...

As for the game, when the draw was made I wasn't far off thinking Queens would be favourites by the time of the game, but we've picked up a little bit, albeit at home. bet365 have both teams at odds against but with Thistle 13/10 favs.  Our main issue is how many of the guys who have been out for months and are just coming back to fitness can play, particularly on astro? Devine suspended as well, which would have been cause for celebration until Turnbull was recalled and we've only got Keown and Barton as CBs- might see Penrice wedged in as part of a back 3.

Looking forward to the day out, think the game will be very nervy.

edit: had a thought we might have let Penrice play for Livi in the last round but he wasn't in their squad so he's OK to play.

Archived