QoS vs Partick Thistle

jagfox

An awful lot can change in 2 months but playing a lower half Premiership side isn't a bad draw for us seeing as we play better when we aren't expected to dominate possession. Whilst I fully expect Thistle to not be struggling as much especially after a transfer window, they might not be as bothered about this if they are battling to stay up compared to if they were midtable.

Queens vs Thistle games usually have some sort of late scenes for both sides, my personal favourite being scoring 2 late on to salvage a 3-3 draw in the Brannigan season.   Was it Stephen Payne or some other fairly generic player of that ilk, the one who scored an absolute screamer late on  in something like our first few seasons in the first division back then.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Sloop John B said:

Was it Stephen Payne or some other fairly generic player of that ilk, the one who scored an absolute screamer late on  in something like our first few seasons in the first division back then.

If it’s the same game I’m thinking of, I’m sure it was September 2004. Thistle 1-2 Queens. Juan Ramon Escales scored one of the best Thistle goals I’ve ever seen but Queens won it with the last kick of the ball. A 30 yard screamer.

The QOS squad had been hit with sickness bug in the days leading up to the game. You couldn’t fill your bench and I’m sure one of your players was physically sick at the side of the pitch.

The writing was on the wall for us after that.

1 hour ago, Sloop John B said:

Queens vs Thistle games usually have some sort of late scenes for both sides, my personal favourite being scoring 2 late on to salvage a 3-3 draw in the Brannigan season.   Was it Stephen Payne or some other fairly generic player of that ilk, the one who scored an absolute screamer late on  in something like our first few seasons in the first division back then.

I'm pretty sure we went 3-1 up really late in that game. Something like the 85th minute. And then still managed to draw the game, which felt like a defeat. I don't remember a screamer, though - I think they were both tap-ins, although no idea who scored either.

In games I've attended, we have a terrible record against Queens. Think I've only seen us win about 3 times in what must be up near 20 games.

I was at the 5-0 last time down there but the most mental of all I can remember was a game under Campbell where we were 4-0 down genuinely going on double figures with 6 minutes to go.

I was getting a lift up the road which is presumably why I wasn't back in the pub by this point but when we scored their arses fell to bits and we got it back to 4-3. Jamie MacDonald had a great save in injury time to stop it being 4-4. The first Thistle goal got an ironic cheer from our fans but when the third went in I think about 90% of the away support who were still there thought we were going to do it.

The 3-1 game Hammer Jag mentions was the dug worst though, fights breaking out in the away end and the team being slaughtered verbally off the park and in a footballing sense on it. Pretty much confirmed back to back relegations.

The pitch invasion after your equaliser says otherwise. 

Yes, the last kick of the ball equaliser was a nice moment.

It would have been nice to win and, as I said, it was disappointing not to do so but of the two games we played that week it was very much of secondary importance. I know which one I wanted to win the most.

The win against Morton led to promotion, continued membership of the top flight, a debt free club and a bespoke training facility on the way.

That's of much more value than a wee trophy from a game that nobody other than the two teams remembers and a mid table place in the Championship.

7 hours ago, Broony88 said:

Didn't expect to get some bites from non partick fans. Perfect!

Bragging about winning the challenge cup to fans of a side that is in the top flight, has the greatest mascot in sports and lottery winners building a training ground is all a bit  Kirk Van Houten

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/12/2017 at 10:53, jagfox99 said:

Initially all ticket allocation of 900 for Thistle support. 

That’ll likely be the away section of the stand. If you sell all those, they should open the away terracing that holds nearly 2,000. They might also open the terracing if you get close to selling out the 900. Tickets will be available on the day because we do that thing of selling tickets at a booth rather than cash at turnstiles. So the game won’t be all ticket in the usual sense.  I imagine if you’ve sold, say, 700 in advance, they would need to open the terracing in anticipation of more than another 200 showing up on the day, unless they are going to allocate more than 900 in the stand, which I think is unlikely. Saying that, they did it with St.Johnstone a couple of years ago, but not ideal because the segregation area was only a set of steps.

That’ll likely be the away section of the stand. If you sell all those, they should open the away terracing that holds nearly 2,000. They might also open the terracing if you get close to selling out the 900.

If that’s the case it could be a disaster. Would imagine quite a few folk would be pissed off (myself included) if they buy stand tickets then they open up the terracing after that.

On 12/10/2017 at 16:09, Flash said:

That’ll likely be the away section of the stand. If you sell all those, they should open the away terracing that holds nearly 2,000. They might also open the terracing if you get close to selling out the 900. Tickets will be available on the day because we do that thing of selling tickets at a booth rather than cash at turnstiles. So the game won’t be all ticket in the usual sense.  I imagine if you’ve sold, say, 700 in advance, they would need to open the terracing in anticipation of more than another 200 showing up on the day, unless they are going to allocate more than 900 in the stand, which I think is unlikely. Saying that, they did it with St.Johnstone a couple of years ago, but not ideal because the segregation area was only a set of steps.

Typical Scottish football marketing. To get the ticket you want don't buy early.

What would be the likelihood of it being a case of selling tickets that would get you into either terracing or the stand so it wouldn't matter? Or, depending on the amount we sell we'll all either be in the terrace or the stand? Since I don't see us selling 2000 we'll all nicely fit in the terrace. 

Maybe being presumptuous here, but surely even if we do sell out the 900 for the seated area, we'll never take enough to fill the terrace anyway, and anyone who wanted to would be allowed to move over anyway?

Or are Queens going to strictly enforce that if you buy a ticket for the stand then you can only use that? Which would be fucking terrible, if so.

On 15/12/2017 at 09:23, thistledo said:

What would be the likelihood of it being a case of selling tickets that would get you into either terracing or the stand so it wouldn't matter? Or, depending on the amount we sell we'll all either be in the terrace or the stand? Since I don't see us selling 2000 we'll all nicely fit in the terrace. 

Some chat on the Queens thread this week indicating that the terracing won’t be opened for St.Mirren possibly even if they sell all of their 900 stand tickets. Seems the club has to order portable bogs and organise stewarding so they would need to sell them all by today, probably, before they will consider opening the terracing. If they don’t sell them all until Friday, the terracing will stay shut. Don’t understand why they can’t just assume all the stand tickets will be sold and open the terracing anyway. Seems to be to do with cost.

Not sure if the Thistle game will be different, but doesn’t look like it, given the initial 900 allocation. They will need to be sold first before they start selling terracing tickets. And they would need to be all sold well in advance too, by the looks of it.

I think you can use home tickets either for the terracing or the stand, don’t know about away ones. Certainly, if you go through the stand turnstile, you won’t be allowed on the terracing and vice versa.

The chat is on p1637 of the Queens thread and SD is the guy itk.

Eta link

http://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php?/topic/145449-the-queen-of-the-south-thread/&page=1637

Eta thinking about it, as season tickets not valid, it is probably more likely that they will allocate a bigger section of the stand to Thistle fans. So me thinking they would open the terracing could be a bum steer.

• 2 weeks later...
The best being my first pitch invasion, when we celebrated avoiding the drop into the bottom league in the late 90’s.

Did some of your fans form a circle and start dancing that day? I can recall a pitch invasion by Thistle in the 90s but I always assumed it was promotion celebrations!

Archived