UEFA Team of the 21st Century

Rab B Nesbit

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it’s an XI of the players who’ve appeared in the UEFA team of the season the most. It seems like a random thing they decided to do to keep their work experience boy happy.

ETA: No Busquets, no party.

15 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

I think it’s an XI of the players who’ve appeared in the UEFA team of the season the most.

Its not even that, its just the most nominated. Gerrard was nominated seven times so gets in, despite only actually making the squad three times. While Kaka, Ronaldinho, Nedved and Zidane miss out because they werent nominated as many times, despite the fact Kaka made the squad five times.

Oh come on. 17 years 11 months is a well known time period.  I'll never forget my 17 year 11 month party or my parents 17 year 11 month wedding anniversary.  By coincidence we've a do on Friday for a workmate that's getting a carriage clock for reaching his 17 year 11 month milestone with the company. Well done UEFA on rightly marking this esteemed occasion  with their marvelous team I say.

13 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Casillas will be better than any GK that Europe will produce for 83 years?

Get to f**k.

Agreed, a very good goalkeeper but behind Buffon and Neuer for me.

Tin hat on here but always thought him and Raul were a tad overrated in that Madrid team.

Gerrard regressed horribly as a player, and not even when he was in his 30's.
Lampard was better, and Scholes was better than both.

But... but... some English manager didn’t play Scholes, so Gerrard must be better.

12 minutes ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

I'm guessing Gerrard captain, Ramos vice? 

IMG_0795.JPG

I think, at the end of the day, a lot of what colour's positive opinion of Gerrard is that he was quite good at pulling off Roy of the Rovers moments (FA cup final against West Ham, AC Milan in Istanbul, the late goal against Olympiakos or Panathanikos in the group stages, forget which) but for every one of those there's the slips against Demba Ba, passbacks to Suarez/Henry for England and against Arsenal (in fact did he not do it twice to gift Henry dangerous possession, once for Arsenal and once for England when Zidane scored that pen?)and Drogba (X2?) to help out Chelsea, plus the dozens of times for club and country in losing situations where he just started smashing lots of shots well over the bar/playing 50-yard raking passes straight out of play.

Like I say, my opinion of him was that he peaked early and started to regress in his late 20's. I'm happy to be corrected with stats etc. but it's a gut feeling I have. Lampard, however, stayed very effective for Chelsea for a long, long time.

Not even that, but Dudek was more of a hero for Liverpool in the final than Gerrard imo, although he did get the recovery started with the header - unbelievable save from Shevchenko in extra time then the hero in the shootout.

Any time Liverpool have come close to success in the last dozen years it has been because a world class player has dragged them into such a position - either Xabi Alonso or Luis Suarez. When these players left Liverpool were scrambling for relevance between top four and mid-table, all the while with Gerrard as an ever-present.

Sure he was a good player but he wasn't able to pick Liverpool up to the heights these players did, and if anything held them back in the end (see 2012's bottle job). Not even close to being world class.

Archived