Ayr vs Arbroath (again)

D'Jaffo

Funny how different fans see the game differently. Must disagree! Shankland was terrific again today. I haven't seen a striker who can bully defenders as well at Ayr for a while.

What bit did you disagree with?

I'm also in love with the big man up front. Actual man crush stuff. I wasn't a regular in the 90s so for me he's absolutely the best striker I've seen at the club.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We were on top overall for the first hour or so then made a triple sub to nullify ourselves and allow Ayr to get on top and see the game out while scoring a couple more in the process. Incredibly frustrating [emoji20] 
It's easily the best first hour we've played down at Ayr this year, the two previous first halves we were absolutely dominated in but won the game whereas today we created far more than Ayr for once and came away with nothing.
Dick got things fairly spot on two weeks ago down here with his half time team talk regarding getting more stuck in and getting on top of Ayr, but today his game management was absolutely appalling. At Gayfield Ian McCall changed things, put 3 up top and over ran us after we'd been on top for the first half but today he didn't need to do anything, our own 'tactical changes' fucked us and took our momentum away and saw Ayr on top in the final third of the match. I would also add that I was in a minority who backed him when he gave back some abuse to one of our fans at East Fife and offered him outside because the abuse he took was completely uncalled for, but today his actions on the pitch were absurd and I've never seen anything like it at a live game, nothing even springs to mind from highlights of other games. You can't run 20 yards onto the pitch and scream in the referee's face when decisions go against you. If I can refrain from running into the dugout when we substitute Bobby Linn in the 60th minute for the 100th time in a row leaving players far less deserving of being on the park then he certainly should be able to control himself when a referee makes a decision he disagrees with, especially with 30 years + experience behind him. Poor, poor stuff all round.
In terms of the penalty decision - it was an absolute stonewaller but as has been mentioned two weeks ago we got away with a stonewaller against us which would have almost definitely seen Ayr 2 up and us down to 10 men and the game lost. We won that game getting a decision go our way that shouldn't have, and today we didn't get a decision we should have. Swings and roundabouts.

I wasn’t there. Was Dick red carded? Will he get a ban?

He’ll definitely get a ban. Went right on to the pitch and although you couldn’t hear him he definitely wasn’t telling the ref how much he loved him.

He might’ve got away with shouting at the ref but running onto the pitch was idiotic.

Just now, stan3600 said:

Didn't see a red, was sent to the stand though, think a ban is inevitable, maybe lengthy due to being well on to the pitch, also depends on what he said.

Funny more than anything else, more than a tantrum, proper red mist rage, did look like he was planning to lamp him at one point

It was surreal. Like a drunk, baldy fan had somehow got on the pitch. Ref looked a bit stunned but I'm not surprised.

I also loved how he tried to just stay on the sidelines, until the linesman reminded him to do one.

I was thinking the same, best striker I've seen in an Ayr strip since Sludden.

C'mon, he's good but not on the same planet as Hurst, at the moment anyway. Likely the best since then though, with Moffat and Roberts not far behind.

Couldn’t make today my game, was forced to go watch my bairn be a mascot at Dens, Cant believe how bad Dundee are.....

Onto today’s game, Can’t keep letting Ayr score first, but saying that seems we were on top for a spell, having Linn and Denholm as wing backs is a bit Gung Ho away from home, Absolute stone wall penalty, no excuses for Dick going on pitch and he will deservedly get a ban.

Agree with the comments regarding Linn being subbed every week, I wasn’t there but could guess what players should of been hooked first 

Goes against the grain a wee bit but feel a bit sorry for Arbroath. I have said for a while now that the standard of refereeing in Scotland particularly in the lower leagues is at an all time low. Runcorn, Gavin Ross etc are woeful. Why are referee supervisors not picking up on this. Is there such a shortage that we have to put up with what's available. There seems to be a bunch who couldn't kick their own backside so thought they would try refereeing to get into football.

ps You cant do that Dick!!!!!

Ayr have made a good signing in Ruddy, having a good keeper makes such a difference. Dicks antics with the ref were a step too far but that was an absolute stonewall penalty.

Another highlight of yesterday was dick making that triple substitution and our fans start going daft and Iain Campbell has to ask some folk to calm down hahaha. Says it all. Taking Linn and mackintosh off is absolutely nuts.

Good luck in next round Ayr

Archived