Albion Rovers vs St Johnstone

jamamafegan

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Radford said:

Suspect we'll have at least matched that run of defeats when the League Cup was sectional. Here's one for you though: Between 1955 and 1981, Saints won only 1 of 24 away ties in the Scottish Cup!

Struggling to think of a comparable shock if Saints exit the competition next week. A simple 4-4-2, do the basics properly and we'll progress. Football is never that basic though...

1 away Scottish Cup win in 26 years is pretty brutal! And to think that includes the great Saints team of the Ormond era as well.  Stats like that are a reminder of how good recent times have been.

I remember Stenny giving us a 4-0 Scottish Cup hammering in the mid-90's, I think Sturrock was in charge, but we might have been first division at the time?

10 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

1 away Scottish Cup win in 26 years is pretty brutal! And to think that includes the great Saints team of the Ormond era as well.  Stats like that are a reminder of how good recent times have been.

I remember Stenny giving us a 4-0 Scottish Cup hammering in the mid-90's, I think Sturrock was in charge, but we might have been first division at the time?

I was there, gave sturrock dogs abuse the dirty Arab c**t that he is.

Our form has been very indifferent this season, to the point where we might well fail to turn up and be on the end of a shock. Hopefully not, but if I was a neutral I think I'd be looking at this tie for a wee bet on Rovers, depending on how good the odds are, especially when we won't have played for 3 weeks.  Though to be fair, we have been far better away from home than at McDiarmid this season.

We do have a good record against lower league teams; I think Queen of the South (2014-15) is our only defeat to a lower league side in the Scottish Cup since Falkirk in the Quarter finals in 1998.

We have, however, lost our last 5 Cup matches on the bounce;

2017-18 League Cup;  Partick Thistle (H) 0-3

2017-18 Europa League Qualifiers;  FK Trakai    (H) 0-1 and (A) 1-2

2016-17 Scottish Cup;  Partick Thistle (H) 0-1

2016-17 League Cup;  Aberdeen (A) 0-1

Is this a club record for consecutive Cup defeats?

After the past 4-5 years of Partick Thistle, Aberdeen, Kilmarnock and Rangers a couple of times each in either Cup competition, an away day at Coatbridge is a tremendous prospect!!

We lost to Gretna who were 2nd division when we were in the 1st. Steve Tosh scored. The QoS game was the first cup defeat to a lower league side since then.

Tickets sold out for this now. Taking my daughter to this - hell of a culture shock coming I think [emoji38]

Archived