Ur Next v Ayr United

One of the advantages of enduring so many crap Ayr teams over the years is that you know a good team when one comes along.  The current team is the best we've had since the Bill Barr moneybags era.  Our Achilles heel is a thin squad and I still think Rose and Higgins look vulnerable to high balls (see Alloa's equaliser on Saturday), but that aside we are a properly good side to watch.  Most years we would be lucky to have one of Moffat, Moore and Shankland, but to have all three is an embarrassment of riches.  If Livingston were a better team than us last season, good luck to them.  All I know is that we've made our best start to a season for nearly 60 years and yet, depressingly, find ourselves effectively neck and neck with Raith, which suggests they are a decent team too.  Don't know how it'll play out (the January transfer window could be key, especially if someone snaps up either Crawford from us or Vaughan from them), but for now, I'm content to enjoy the ride.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Mgc1910 said:

One of the advantages of enduring so many crap Ayr teams over the years is that you know a good team when one comes along.  The current team is the best we've had since the Bill Barr moneybags era.  Our Achilles heel is a thin squad and I still think Rose and Higgins look vulnerable to high balls (see Alloa's equaliser on Saturday), but that aside we are a properly good side to watch.  Most years we would be lucky to have one of Moffat, Moore and Shankland, but to have all three is an embarrassment of riches.  If Livingston were a better team than us last season, good luck to them.  All I know is that we've made our best start to a season for nearly 60 years and yet, depressingly, find ourselves effectively neck and neck with Raith, which suggests they are a decent team too.  Don't know how it'll play out (the January transfer window could be key, especially if someone snaps up either Crawford from us or Vaughan from them), but for now, I'm content to enjoy the ride.

11 wins 2 draws 1 loss GD +30 1987-88.

1 hour ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

The fact that we rocked up and binned last year's Livi out the cup with a far worse team than we have now really should put that argument to bed.

Only if you agree that you belong in the Juniors next time one of them knocks you out  :P

Archived