Queens v Montrose

Northfield 53

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was a truly dreadful display from us.  It's hard to imagine anyone has ever played as badly yet dominated for 90 minutes.  The only way we were going to lose that was by throwing it away ourselves.  Which of course Queens being Queens felt highly likely for large spells.  We're through though, and thankfully won't have to play Montrose again this season.  To say we've struggled against them would be an understatement!

We didn't get to grips with the conditions at all, and the importance of the game was clearly playing on the minds of the players as our touch and passing was nervy, hurried and largely woeful.  Montrose sat in as you would expect and looked extremely comfortable as we gave the ball away either through slack passing, or aimless punts.  With the game not really getting anywhere it started to look like a set-piece might be our best chance, and so it proved.  The foul was contested but it looked like a free-kick to me.  I can't remember the specifics but it found it's way to an unmarked Dobbie at the back post who fired past the 'keeper.  Cruel on Montrose perhaps, but you get what you deserved leaving the best player on the park on his own inside the box.

You could sense the collective sigh of relief amongst the players after that, and we actually started knocking it about and looked a lot more confident in our play.  It didn't lead to any more great chances that I can remember, but the play was a bit more pleasing on the eye and you felt that if it continued that way second half we would see the game out easily enough, and probably add to it.  Cue a well placed cross on the stroke of half-time that Rooney looked to get caught under, and a well taken header put us back to square one.

The entirety of the second half panned out in the same manner as the start of the first with everyone far too scared of making a mistake to try anything remotely positive with the ball.  This over cautiousness of course just made everyone even more nervous leading to loose play and mistakes all over the place.  The game was crying out for the introduction of McFadden to add a calming influence to the middle of the park as he did in Oswestry, and it was his long throw that found Lyle who buried it in the top corner to seal our victory.  Again we looked a bit calmer after we scored and created a few more half chances without really threatening to put the game to bed.  Templeman was brought on to try and cause havoc and we did our usual defending on the 6 yard line for the last 5 minutes, but in truth Martin had nothing to do all game.

I found it interesting that Montrose played the same game throughout.  Whilst their containing tactics made sense at the start of the game, I was surprised they didn't increase the tempo when they went a goal down.  They got the equaliser from their only attack of note, but given how absolutely rattled we looked I tend to think I'd see it as a massive opportunity wasted if I was a Montrose fan.  If they had got in our faces a bit more, the way we were flapping I think we would have been forced into making mistakes at the back.  Instead they seemed happy just sitting in.

Martin had a quiet night but can be too rooted to his line for my liking.  The two centre-halves strolled it as they usually do.  Marshall played his normal game but struggled with Dobbie in front of him.  Dobbs just plays his own game, and to great effect, but it doesn't allow Marshall to make the usual overlapping runs he is used to with no-one to cover for him.  Rooney had an absolute nightmare, although somehow in between all his basic howlers manages to do two or three brilliant pieces of play.  I like him and want him to succeed, but he needs to up his game and up it quickly.  I'll be ecstatic to see Jason Kerr back on the pitch on Saturday.

Rankin was atrocious, he had two types of pass tonight.  A slack pass that gave the ball away to the opposition, or a cautious, wrong pass back the way when there was a better option on.  Hopefully tonight's progression can fund the central midfielder we so desperately need in January.

Murray isn't ready, physically or ability wise.

Dykes continues to impress with his workrate.  He is still very raw and the things he tries probably only come off 50% of the time.  However while he is putting in a shift like that most fans will give him the benefit of the doubt.  He nearly scored again after chasing a lost cause of ball forward in the first half.  The lovely close control followed by sclaffed volley probably sums him up at the moment.

Lyle had a poor game but his finish was a touch of class.

McFadden as already mentioned turned the game in our favour I felt.  If we want to get the most out of him he needs to play centrally where he can get on the ball and make things happen.  He showed his guile towards the end when he kept trying to hold onto the ball to see the game out, where as the rest of the team where still inexplicably gifting it to the opposition.

Tapping was the wrong sub to make, and did nothing.  I just don't know what he offers.

Into the next round which is all that matters.  We always make heavy weather of it in games we are the favourites.  I can guarantee right now we will raise our game for Partick in the next round and give them a good game.  I'm looking forward to it.

I've had just enough of Montrose for a lifetime, my word that was harrowing stuff.

First half we were started fine and then Dobbie hurt his ankle tackling and then we proceeded to avoid any sort of football until we somehow scored. Dobbie touched the ball about 3 times after getting hurt and the goal of which, 2 of them were aimless hoofs before then he scored rather fortuitously off a free kick that missed everyone and he blasted it off the keeper who probably would have saved it if he just stood still. We then went to fairly timid possession football, where it was too slow to really bother Montrose. At the end of the half we camped out in our own half and Montrose scored with their only period of possession that half, first I thought it was an own goal as it looked like Fordyce/Rooney had it well covered but somehow it crept in, not sure but I thought Martin could have went for it, he seemed unwilling to move tonight which is a curious contrast to when he was hurt as he actually claimed things then,  though not sure how much of that was because of the wind.

The second half for the most part was whatever the the opposite of  being worth the entrance fee. A lot of nothing happened for long stretches and then we snatch a good finish out of nowhere.  After failing to kill the game off we crumpled into our own box with very little notion to just control the game. In terms of chances, it looks a bit favourable but there wasn't much of an effort to work it into the box which could have made this a lot more straight forward than it should be.  We just lacked any sort of structure, consistency or coherent strategy. Just strange stuff from start to finish.

Rooney seems to play really badly against worse teams, just a lack of positional intelligence, first touch and he gave up a whole load of silly fouls on the edge of the area. Murray was anonymous yet again, he just runs beside people and whilst he tracks his man, he probably should be pressing higher up the park in games like this. It's just a whole lot of nothing passes and flicks that don't really hurt anyone. It wasn't a particularly tough competition but Rankin was probably the best midfield player as he actually drove the ball forward and put his foot on at times, Jacobs was just getting in the way and not really bringing anything to the game. 

Montrose were not as good compared to when they played the Irn Bru cup game IMO, both goals  whilst good finishes were pretty poor on their part with 2 set pieces that weren't cleared. Certainly if they were a little braver they could have taken something tonight, but they didn't and  here we are.  

27 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

Rankin was atrocious, he had two types of pass tonight.  A slack pass that gave the ball away to the opposition, or a cautious, wrong pass back the way when there was a better option on. 

The rest of your post was pretty fair but completely disagree with this. I thought Rankin generally had a very good game though his best stuff was first half. 

Centre backs best for us though for me. Generally Brownlie and Fordyce strolled it and even dealt with Templeman fine. McFadden was class when he came on too.

12 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

The rest of your post was pretty fair but completely disagree with this. I thought Rankin generally had a very good game though his best stuff was first half. 

Centre backs best for us though for me. Generally Brownlie and Fordyce strolled it and even dealt with Templeman fine. McFadden was class when he came on too.

Perhaps I'm alone in that view as Sloop rated him as our best midfielder in his post.

In a game like tonight you need the calming influence of an Allan Johnston/Derek Young/Mark Kerr type figure.  Rankin I felt was as guilty as anyone of being hurried on the ball and trying too hard to force things to happen instead of being patient. Fortunately McFadden came on and was able to do exactly what was needed.

I really hope McFadden's future appearances for us are in the middle of the park either alongside Jacobs, or with Jacobs and Rankin in behind him.

Our CB's dealt with pretty much anything gave them but their persistent hoofing of the ball was extremely infuriating, particularly Fordyce. Though that may have been the instructions they were given. No idea why we continued to use that approach given we created absolutely nothing with it. Dreadful.

I sincerely hope he isn't going back down the route of playing Dobbie wide left. Why he doesn't give Stirling a run of games there baffles me. We've not had anyone come close to making LM their position yet he'll give Stirling a couple of sub appearances then the odd start and if he doesn't give a Ronaldoesque performance he's dropped. I commented on his early substitution at the weekend and said he'd likely be benched tonight. So predictable and very harsh on the guy IMO. Then he brings a CM on out wide. The guy must be fizzing.

Just awful tonight but we're through which is the main thing. A massive improvement is required for Saturday though.

Our CB's dealt with pretty much anything gave them but their persistent hoofing of the ball was extremely infuriating, particularly Fordyce. Though that may have been the instructions they were given. No idea why we continued to use that approach given we created absolutely nothing with it. Dreadful.

I sincerely hope he isn't going back down the route of playing Dobbie wide left. Why he doesn't give Stirling a run of games there baffles me. We've not had anyone come close to making LM their position yet he'll give Stirling a couple of sub appearances then the odd start and if he doesn't give a Ronaldoesque performance he's dropped. I commented on his early substitution at the weekend and said he'd likely be benched tonight. So predictable and very harsh on the guy IMO. Then he brings a CM on out wide. The guy must be fizzing.

Just awful tonight but we're through which is the main thing. A massive improvement is required for Saturday though.

Totally agree re Stirling.

I can only assume that young Murray must be some performer in training because his influence on games is very limited. He certainly can't say he is not getting a chance in terms of selection.

Stirling on the other hand seems to be the main scapegoat. If every player was judged as harshly as Stirling weekly selection would be interesting!!

I think the ref got the free-kick decision spot on. The Montrose player was practically lying on the ball. The gk should be saving that though. Rooney gets it horribly wrong for us and Lyle's goal was as good as I remember. One of those 'it was going in as soon as it left his foot'.

No surprise all the highlights showed were the goals [emoji38]

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

No surprise all the highlights showed were the goals emoji38.png

The clue to be fair is in the name "Goals" on the file. :rolleyes: It's not supposed to be the highlights.

For a start they got one off the line in the last minute of the first half. And the keeper made a terrific save from Dobbie at close range when it was still 0-0. In contrast to most I thought the first half last night was decent enough though they were hard to break down. We lost our way after the equaliser though and the second half was much poorer, albeit again without ever remotely looking like losing a second. Even at 2-1 and with them throwing bodies forward, we got too deep as usual but saw it out comfortably without any near thing.

Good highlights there. Fleming has to save Dobbies shot, it was straight at him. Excellent cross and header for the equaliser. Fair play to Lyle, that's a cracking finish for what turned out to be the winner. I'm glad we competed well with a team two leagues above us over two games. Would have been good to get to progress further but good luck to QoS in the next round

Archived