New Stadia

Lokloyal

Football has changed since the 60s/70s/80s - it appears the mentality of some junior fans has not.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, tommyboy said:

You're building quite a CV here bud as it looks like we can now add' old sectarian bigot'*to the earlier 'plastic hating luddite' claims.

* If you really must spout this bile then take it elsewhere,it has no place on this forum.

sectarianism :- excessive attachment to a particular sect or party, especially in religion .

bigot :- a person who is intolerant towards those holding different opinions

Can I ask who I have abused over religion ? I have been upbraided because I don't like plastic but  do accept others choice to watch football where and when  they want.  I haven't argued against others right to choose any where at all .I have not berated new build fans . if you can find evidence of this in any of my posts bud then I will stand corrected

I’ve watched my side play on our 3G every other week for the last three seasons and to be honest I don’t even think about it anymore, there is very little difference from how we play on it from a grass pitch.  It’s a fantastic surface to play football on, the ball runs true, bounces true and you can pass all day long on it.  It’s as good as a very well maintained grass surface (I’m thinking Bathgate and Auchinleck here).  As for the benefits, no game is ever off unless bad snow and all our community teams can use it, it’s a great asset to the club. It’s in continual use, something you can never have with a grass pitch.

I think there are two issues that give 3G (not astro) a bad name, lack of maintenance to keep it in tip top condition and these soulless 3G cages that have snuck into the Junior game, no facilities, just a fence and a barrier down one side.  If I watched a game on a matted 3G in a soulless cage I'd also be thinking it was shite. Thankfully our ground retains some character and the pitch is maintained.

My hearts sinks when we go to an away game and we’re faced with a heavy muddy pitch, without exception these games are dire to watch, bare mud, ball not bouncing in areas of the pitch, large divots, grass longer than it should be.   Sure it’s always preferable to watch a game on a  quality grass surface (two examples above, there’s probably others), but give me 3G ahead of some of the pitiful surfaces that we often have to endure particularly at this time of year. 

Simply not true.  The installation is obviously the major initial cost and the biggest hurdle to overcome (but paid for via grants), however once the pitch is installed the maintenance of it is fairly straightforward either via a third party company coming in and doing it or via purchasing the equipment to do it yourself (a very small percentage of the installation cost).

You then pay into a sink fund over a period of 10-15 years to pay your part of the cost for it's replacement.

It's not as straightforward as just putting the pitch down and leaving it (although it does appear this happens, hence the bad rep some pitches get), but neither do you need benefactors to do it either.

It's only going to be funded if there is the need for it. If there are enough pitches nearby funding, could be an issue. Cumbernauld has a few already.

We already have Cumbernauld Clots soaking everything up in that field from lowland league to nippers in nappies .Added to that we also have the Bully wee hangin 'on by a thread ".3" big teams in a town of just short of 60k and not one with a sizeable support to speak of

I sometime attend Colts games. I would live to see the Colts and the juniors to play at Guymuir. NLC treat the Colts like s#!t. Both clubs would prosper IMO

To give an example - on one Saturday last season Townhead Park in Cumnock had Cumnock/Auchinleck kids playing on the pitch at half 9, an under 14 match at 1030 followed by an amateur match at 2pm. All while the junior side were playing away from home.

So the park generates income even on weeks where previously you'd bring in nothing. Set aside a proportion of that and the eventual repair or replacement will be taken care of.

Doesn't mater how much it costs, grass doesn't grow below a certain temperature and can't recover.

8 minutes ago, foreverarover said:

I sometime attend Colts games. I would live to see the Colts and the juniors to play at Guymuir. NLC treat the Colts like s#!t. Both clubs would prosper IMO

Broadwood rapidly becoming a shit house , broken seats not being replaced , rubbish from previous games still lying about .Nothing against either Colts or Clyde have been to see both .Sometimes think that people are not interested in enough numbers to make things viable for these teams to survive in the long term .Ground sharing at Guys Meadow could indeed benefit both but again it would require major investment and joined up thinking .I personally would pass on Broadwood and let NLC take it on the chin .

3 hours ago, theshed said:

I've seldom watched a good game on it to be honest , it's really not for me , maybe I'm a traditionalist but I love a good cup tie in particular with good sliding tackles and mud , remember we played a cup tie up at Oakley and it was a right ding dong cup tie on a muddy park and what a brilliant game , I've yet to see anything quite like it on an astro park , quite ironic as the best day of my like as a fan was at rugby park on the astro but in general terms I really don't like it at all .

I am not a fan of these surfaces and would rather we played on Grass, but if the introduction of this surface helps maintain the existence of the club I have followed all my life then small price to pay.

theshed on your point I would normally have agreed if not for witnessing Scotland's best performance in God knows how long against Lithuania recently. If that's what we can produce on Plastic then let's change Hampden or wherever we end up into 4G......... LOL

I am not a fan of these surfaces and would rather we played on Grass, but if the introduction of this surface helps maintain the existence of the club I have followed all my life then small price to pay.
theshed on your point I would normally have agreed if not for witnessing Scotland's best performance in God knows how long against Lithuania recently. If that's what we can produce on Plastic then let's change Hampden or wherever we end up into 4G......... LOL

Lol because I don't like it doesn't mean that I don't understand why clubs go for it , just all things being equal I much prefer grass , half the fun for me though Is visiting new grounds I've not been to before and seeing the game being played out in different elements in unique grounds , I do think that going down the road of 4g and sport centres in mass does detract from my enjoyment , maybe I'm a traditionalist & maybe I'm a dinosaur but it's just based on my own experiences .

Sent from my VFD 510 using Pie and Bovril mobile app

Shed you almost made a faux pas on your reply to my post as most of the players you mentioned had a good grass pitch as their home ground. Ardeer, meadow, talbot, ladeside and a few others had really good grass pitches in the early 90's. There is no denying that a good grass pitch is better than synthetic but with us having wetter weather all year round grass is harder to keep good. 

Summer football might not be the answer as our summers are also wetter than before

37 minutes ago, Village elder said:

sectarianism :- excessive attachment to a particular sect or party, especially in religion .

bigot :- a person who is intolerant towards those holding different opinions

Can I ask who I have abused over religion ? I have been upbraided because I don't like plastic but  do accept others choice to watch football where and when  they want.  I haven't argued against others right to choose any where at all .I have not berated new build fans . if you can find evidence of this in any of my posts bud then I will stand corrected

Sectarianism-Excessive attachment to a particular sect or party....'My heart will always belong to the present Scottish champions'   Celtic.

Bigot- A person who is intolerant towards those holding different opinions ... Well,unless you happen to be a Tolkien fan,I'm pretty sure that your reference to the Orcs and your regret that the 'festering corpse'...some real tolerance right there...survived for another year was directed at folk associated with Glasgow Rangers,folk who no doubt hold different opinions to yours.

And of course,so far,it's only you who has used the word 'religion'. 

I was never a great lover of the new pitches as I didn’t like ones like the new Peasy Park , but, as far as the new set up at Cumnock is concerned, the place is still the place I remember and the surface looks and plays quite well

If it wasn’t for the income generated by the community using the place, the football club could ( probably would!!!) be in a bad way financially

It’s not ideal, but, I now like the idea a bit more

Shed you almost made a faux pas on your reply to my post as most of the players you mentioned had a good grass pitch as their home ground. Ardeer, meadow, talbot, ladeside and a few others had really good grass pitches in the early 90's. There is no denying that a good grass pitch is better than synthetic but with us having wetter weather all year round grass is harder to keep good. 
Summer football might not be the answer as our summers are also wetter than before

I think Talbot's pitch was very heavy as long as I remember visiting in the late 80s / 90s and they still played great football on it and were by far the best team in Scotland , it's all about adapting to the conditions.

1 hour ago, tommyboy said:

Sectarianism-Excessive attachment to a particular sect or party....'My heart will always belong to the present Scottish champions'   Celtic.

Bigot- A person who is intolerant towards those holding different opinions ... Well,unless you happen to be a Tolkien fan,I'm pretty sure that your reference to the Orcs and your regret that the 'festering corpse'...some real tolerance right there...survived for another year was directed at folk associated with Glasgow Rangers,folk who no doubt hold different opinions to yours.

And of course,so far,it's only you who has used the word 'religion'. 

not my definitions tommy .let's face it you made assumptions about me and in my opinion made a complete arse of yourself .you have accused me of things i am not . my descriptions of others were no worse or no more unacceptable than have been passed about by supporters of rival junior clubs - Boness  v Linlithgow  for example and have absolutely nothing at all to do with race or creed. i suggest you go look up the dictionary definitions of sectarianism and bigotry .lets face it tommy it was you that called me an old sectarian bigot ...your choice of words brother :-) not mine . sadly you appear to have fallen into that oh he hates rangers / celtic therefore he is a petty minded bigot sorry pal but wrong on all counts .

Simply not true.  The installation is obviously the major initial cost and the biggest hurdle to overcome (but paid for via grants), however once the pitch is installed the maintenance of it is fairly straightforward either via a third party company coming in and doing it or via purchasing the equipment to do it yourself (a very small percentage of the installation cost).
You then pay into a sink fund over a period of 10-15 years to pay your part of the cost for it's replacement.
It's not as straightforward as just putting the pitch down and leaving it (although it does appear this happens, hence the bad rep some pitches get), but neither do you need benefactors to do it either.

One big problem is that grants are not always available for club who own there ground. I know when I was involved at Arthurlie we brought in outside consultants who informed us that due to ownership of Dunterlie we would find it extremely difficult if not impossible to access grants.

One big problem is that grants are not always available for club who own there ground. I know when I was involved at Arthurlie we brought in outside consultants who informed us that due to ownership of Dunterlie we would find it extremely difficult if not impossible to access grants.

That's why I said it was the biggest hurdle, it may not be possible for every club to achieve due to different factors. Not every club will want or need one anyway.

2 hours ago, Village elder said:

not my definitions tommy .let's face it you made assumptions about me and in my opinion made a complete arse of yourself .you have accused me of things i am not . my descriptions of others were no worse or no more unacceptable than have been passed about by supporters of rival junior clubs - Boness  v Linlithgow  for example and have absolutely nothing at all to do with race or creed. i suggest you go look up the dictionary definitions of sectarianism and bigotry .lets face it tommy it was you that called me an old sectarian bigot ...your choice of words brother :-) not mine . sadly you appear to have fallen into that oh he hates rangers / celtic therefore he is a petty minded bigot sorry pal but wrong on all counts .

Yeah,it looks like I've fallen into the trap of thinking that you're 'a petty minded bigot' when all you've done is posted some bile,then later submitted definitions which seem to prove that it was..erm..bigotry. :lol:

Seriously though,let's see if we can't make some sense of your latest word salad;

Firstly,'not my definitions'...yet you used them in the hope that they might somehow justify the bile you'd posted and,when of course they they haven't done this,you now want me to 'look up the dictionary (where did you look?) so that I can contradict the definitions you supplied. Sounds reasonable.:1eye

As for me making assumptions about you,well tbf,you rendered that unnecessary when you used the 'festering corpse' phrase which kinda gave the game away regarding your character.

Then,just when we think that your latest effort can't get much worse,you launch the playground level 'am no any worse than the Bo'ness/Lithgy guys on here'. A claim,incidentally,that seems extravagant in light of your OP.

Here's an idea..why don't you go back to whatever book gave you the definitions and look up 'denial'.:)

6 minutes ago, tommyboy said:

Yeah,it looks like I've fallen into the trap of thinking that you're 'a petty minded bigot' when all you've done is posted some bile,then later submitted definitions which seem to prove that it was..erm..bigotry. :lol:

Seriously though,let's see if we can't make some sense of your latest word salad;

Firstly,'not my definitions'...yet you used them in the hope that they might somehow justify the bile you'd posted and,when of course they they haven't done this,you now want me to 'look up the dictionary (where did you look?) so that I can contradict the definitions you supplied. Sounds reasonable.:1eye

As for me making assumptions about you,well tbf,you rendered that unnecessary when you used the 'festering corpse' phrase which kinda gave the game away regarding your character.

Then,just when we think that your latest effort can't get much worse,you launch the playground level 'am no any worse than the Bo'ness/Lithgy guys on here'. A claim,incidentally,that seems extravagant in light of your OP.

Here's an idea..why don't you go back to whatever book gave you the definitions and look up 'denial'.:)

You gotta love pie and bovril every fecker is a straight talking angel all snowflake like.........I guarantee on a Saturday all sorts of bile is spouted out those same mouths during a match.

3 minutes ago, kenny131 said:

You gotta love pie and bovril every fecker is a straight talking angel all snowflake like.........I guarantee on a Saturday all sorts of bile is spouted out those same mouths during a match.

I'll have to take your word on the angel snowflakes as I don' know anyone who fits that description, and if you think that bile's acceptable at any level then it's time you had a long look a yourself. 

Archived