New Stadia

Lokloyal

5 minutes ago, G81' said:

Why not? are you playing upfront for your local?  No one's saying you don't enjoy football at this level, however, saying you'd go elsewhere if your team start playing on a plastic pitch is just laughable.

Folk on here regularly tell us they support the Junior grade so I suppose supporting surfaces isn't that much more bizarre. 

It seems that a lot of the most dyed-in-the-wool traditional juniors sorts actually have a hell of a lot of conditions attached to the support they have for their clubs and generally sound like the sort of spoiled, needy brats they claim Senior fans are. Must be soul destroying for hard working volunteers at clubs if this is really what fans are like. 

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Shanner said:

Folk on here regularly tell us they support the Junior grade so I suppose supporting surfaces isn't that much more bizarre. 

It seems that a lot of the most dyed-in-the-wool traditional juniors sorts actually have a hell of a lot of conditions attached to the support they have for their clubs and generally sound like the sort of spoiled, needy brats they claim Senior fans are. Must be soul destroying for hard working volunteers at clubs if this is really what fans are like. 

This again appears aimed at me .My heart always will belong to the present Scottish champions .The year they refused to give Strachan the money to sign Fletcher was a step to far for me it handed the Orcs the league and gave the festering corpse another ill deserved year of life . Do they miss me ..not at all . At the junior club I watch I have cleared terracings , painted dug outs and dressing rooms weeded and power washed mono blocking all to help out I ask for nothing in return .Why can I not have the right to say I despise watching football on plastic

1 hour ago, Village elder said:

This again appears aimed at me .My heart always will belong to the present Scottish champions .The year they refused to give Strachan the money to sign Fletcher was a step to far for me it handed the Orcs the league and gave the festering corpse another ill deserved year of life . Do they miss me ..not at all . At the junior club I watch I have cleared terracings , painted dug outs and dressing rooms weeded and power washed mono blocking all to help out I ask for nothing in return .Why can I not have the right to say I despise watching football on plastic

Not really aimed at you but generally it's the vibe from the broader Mon the juniors brigade. Ready to chuck it if this or that happens and hostile to change.

3 hours ago, Burnie_man said:

Simply not true.  The installation is obviously the major initial cost and the biggest hurdle to overcome (but paid for via grants), however once the pitch is installed the maintenance of it is fairly straightforward either via a third party company coming in and doing it or via purchasing the equipment to do it yourself (a very small percentage of the installation cost).

You then pay into a sink fund over a period of 10-15 years to pay your part of the cost for it's replacement.

It's not as straightforward as just putting the pitch down and leaving it (although it does appear this happens, hence the bad rep some pitches get), but neither do you need benefactors to do it either.

IE broxburn ?

52 minutes ago, Village elder said:

You're building quite a CV here bud as it looks like we can now add' old sectarian bigot'*to the earlier 'plastic hating luddite' claims.

* If you really must spout this bile then take it elsewhere,it has no place on this forum.

2 hours ago, Jason King said:

The ironic elephant in this room being of course that Cumbernauld are one of the clubs that would be in a far better position as a community hub if they had an artificial pitch. 

We already have Cumbernauld Clots soaking everything up in that field from lowland league to nippers in nappies .Added to that we also have the Bully wee hangin 'on by a thread ".3" big teams in a town of just short of 60k and not one with a sizeable support to speak of

1 hour ago, Village elder said:

You've got the right to say whatever you want mate, I'm just pointing out that saying you'd abandon your local team for something as progressive and forward thinking as an artificial surface is moronic.  Also, take the celtic chatter elsewhere, No one here cares.

Not a deal breaker for a lifetime of support though surely? 

I've seldom watched a good game on it to be honest , it's really not for me , maybe I'm a traditionalist but I love a good cup tie in particular with good sliding tackles and mud , remember we played a cup tie up at Oakley and it was a right ding dong cup tie on a muddy park and what a brilliant game , I've yet to see anything quite like it on an astro park , quite ironic as the best day of my like as a fan was at rugby park on the astro but in general terms I really don't like it at all .

2 minutes ago, theshed said:

I've seldom watched a good game on it to be honest , it's really not for me , maybe I'm a traditionalist but I love a good cup tie in particular with good sliding tackles and mud , remember we played a cup tie up at Oakley and it was a right ding dong cup tie on a muddy park and what a brilliant game , I've yet to see anything quite like it on an astro park , quite ironic as the best day of my like as a fan was at rugby park on the astro but in general terms I really don't like it at all .

Oh aye, I've slagged the likes of peasy Park regularly for the pitch and totally agree about what makes a good junior game and I fully concur that it's often a bland, diet version of the game on synthetic, but it's mental to suggest a day in the hoose or whatever is going to happen if your team goes astro. They're still your team. 

This stuff is happening so it will have to be suffered in its current state until it improves. 

Simply not true.  The installation is obviously the major initial cost and the biggest hurdle to overcome (but paid for via grants), however once the pitch is installed the maintenance of it is fairly straightforward either via a third party company coming in and doing it or via purchasing the equipment to do it yourself (a very small percentage of the installation cost).
You then pay into a sink fund over a period of 10-15 years to pay your part of the cost for it's replacement.
It's not as straightforward as just putting the pitch down and leaving it (although it does appear this happens, hence the bad rep some pitches get), but neither do you need benefactors to do it either.

To give an example - on one Saturday last season Townhead Park in Cumnock had Cumnock/Auchinleck kids playing on the pitch at half 9, an under 14 match at 1030 followed by an amateur match at 2pm. All while the junior side were playing away from home.

So the park generates income even on weeks where previously you'd bring in nothing. Set aside a proportion of that and the eventual repair or replacement will be taken care of.

Oh aye, I've slagged the likes of peasy Park regularly for the pitch and totally agree about what makes a good junior game and I fully concur that it's often a bland, diet version of the game on synthetic, but it's mental to suggest a day in the hoose or whatever is going to happen if your team goes astro. They're still your team. 
This stuff is happening so it will have to be suffered in its current state until it improves. 

I dont deny it's got it's great points too , and also can't deny that our park is flawless with our slope but I just can't get excited about astro parks and the sport centre feel , really looking forward to visiting crossgates on Saturday for the first time , if it were astro I would still be going but I'm far more looking forward to visiting another grass park and a ground that will be unique as these grounds are dying out a bit in favour of the new astro / community based new builds .

Surely football has to evolve from the blood and guts, a fair tackle is when the victim stiil has a pulse style to a more finesse game. 2 touch, passing the ball, using the players skills. The mudbaths dont allow this, it is hoofball. Perhaps the moving to synthetic surfaces might encourage this, kids play on synthetic from the age of 6 upwards then at 18 go junior and onto the mud where stamina and endurance is more important than using the ball.

Facilities have to evolve and synthetic pitches is just a part of this, decent energy saving floodlights, rainwater harvesting for watering the pitches and for use in the showers, solar panels to generate electricity to heat the water for showers. Or would folk rather it was communal baths with a lit fire underneath

43 minutes ago, Shanner said:

Not a deal breaker for a lifetime of support though surely? 

Exactly. I'm sure they'l find a field to watch somewhere if the clubs change to synthetic grass.

Surely football has to evolve from the blood and guts, a fair tackle is when the victim stiil has a pulse style to a more finesse game. 2 touch, passing the ball, using the players skills. The mudbaths dont allow this, it is hoofball. Perhaps the moving to synthetic surfaces might encourage this, kids play on synthetic from the age of 6 upwards then at 18 go junior and onto the mud where stamina and endurance is more important than using the ball.
Facilities have to evolve and synthetic pitches is just a part of this, decent energy saving floodlights, rainwater harvesting for watering the pitches and for use in the showers, solar panels to generate electricity to heat the water for showers. Or would folk rather it was communal baths with a lit fire underneath

Utter nonsense , Scottish football in the 60s/70s/80s was the best standard it's probably ever been and on the muddiest grass pitches there's probably ever been , you trying to say it was all hoof baw to your Jimmy Johnstone's / Jim Baxter's / Kenny dalglish / Dave Cooper's etc because of shite pitches? Good players adapt to even the poorest of conditions and people see the new picture perfect Astros and then shite themselves at the prospect of a bit of mud nowadays .

I grew up watching the juniors in the late 80s / early 90s, it was for me the best standard of junior football in an all round context I've ever saw and you knew most opponents names as they were of an excellent quality , loads of mud baths back then but it never made the creative players hoof the baw , guys like wullie young of Talbot , Rennie at glenafton , Courtney of beith , Agnew of cumnock , Brian Smith of shettleston , mason of ladeside , big Evans at ardeer , jardine at the buffs , muggins at meadow ; spittal at pollok - these guys could all play football from the back regardless of a muddy park , it's all about adapting to the elements as these guys did rather than looking out at a muddy park and using that as an excuse to just hoof it ( the theory of hoof baw in a bit of mud is a total myth )

I have also watched loads of games on the astro now and for me the ball doesn't always run true on them either with wayward bounces and the ball bumping along the ground with the rubber pellets .

Archived