New Stadia

Lokloyal

1 hour ago, drs said:

I like how Dreghorn hates artificial surfaces and yet last season had a massive meltdown on here when the Wee Rose game at Maryhill (grass) was postponed. 

...and by the way you can slide tackle and do diving headers on artificial pitches, its this kind of backwards thinking that holds back the Junior game.

It's laughable nonsense, if people come to Blackburn expecting no sliding tackles or diving headers they're in for a shock!  Backward thinking indeed.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Shanner said:

Let's play on pitches made of solid coal with NUM donkey jaikets fur goalposts in shite weather then drive hame in our ford cortinas and watch four channel telly with a wee can of tennents with a burd oan the can and a plate of crispy pankakes (nane of that foreign muck).  mon the juniors .

If that floats your boat go for it .I prefer watching football played on grass and if pushed would opt for football played through the summer.If the above reflects your wishes why are the Roch even considering building an enclosure and doing extra work on their park ?

10 hours ago, Bishoptonbankie said:

Well thats a perfectly adult response.

What is your point .Merely stating what my preference is and that is not to watch football played on artificial surfaces .There is not a new build junior ground with an ounce of atmosphere or character ...perhaps Glencairn but that's it ..only my opinion pal not the law of the land

4 minutes ago, Village elder said:

If that floats your boat go for it .I prefer watching football played on grass and if pushed would opt for football played through the summer.If the above reflects your wishes why are the Roch even considering building an enclosure and doing extra work on their park ?

I don't get why you're asking me the specific question about the Roch's ground development here. I look in on their games now and then and wish them well but only as an interested outsider.  They seem to have a genuine desire to improve their facilities which is great and deserves encouragement regardless of the direction that takes, like every single other Junior club. 

Some clubs want to keep the traditional surface and others want to go synthetic. Like you, I'm also in emphatically favour of grass where possible but the game is going in a different direction now and clubs are seeing synth as something that can bring in a few extra sheckles from hiring it out, etc.  In circumstances where fan footfall in grounds isn't great or likely to improve this makes huge sense, and although I've never been privy to the full decision making process a club committee go through in making the decision between grass and synth I'm guessing that optimising the chances of survival must surely trump  any concession to the stubborn pomposity of the odd guy threatening boycotts on internet forums. 

10 minutes ago, Bishoptonbankie said:

Yes but your misty eyed reminiscing of your earlier days dodging holes on bomb shelled pitches during WW2 using gas masks for goal posts will not really appeal to many of the modern generation. Like it or not artificial pitches ensure games can be played thus avoiding fixtures farce in may/april. Black ash pitches aren’t going to save the junior game. A tear stained ‘threat’ to go and watch another club should the Nauld go 3g is hardly a mature response.

I’d be very interested, with global warming causing more and more rainfall and harsher winters (and without resorting to summer football, which i’m in favour of), how do we not go down the 3g route?

Your mistaking me for Shanner .Although I have played on black ash football pitches - I would not force this on my worst enemy .It was not a threat to go watch some one else I just cannot stand watching football on artificial surfaces it hardly makes me a flat earth believing Luddite !

10 minutes ago, Shanner said:

I don't get why you're asking me the specific question about the Roch's ground development here. I look in on their games now and then and wish them well but only as an interested outsider.  They seem to have a genuine desire to improve their facilities which is great and deserves encouragement regardless of the direction that takes, like every single other Junior club. 

Some clubs want to keep the traditional surface and others want to go synthetic. Like you, I'm also in emphatically favour of grass where possible but the game is going in a different direction now and clubs are seeing synth as something that can bring in a few extra sheckles from hiring it out, etc.  In circumstances where fan footfall in grounds isn't great or likely to improve this makes huge sense, and although I've never been privy to the full decision making process a club committee go through in making the decision between grass and synth I'm guessing that optimising the chances of survival must surely trump  any concession to the stubborn pomposity of the odd guy threatening boycotts on internet forums. 

I have noted your name on lots of Roch related stuff my assumption , my mistake .I am all for improving grounds too . If teams wish to go down this, artificial surface , route fair play to them but it is not for me .It doesn't make me some sort anti evolution bible spouting banjo playing  red neck just someone who prefers watching football on grass .

1 hour ago, Bishoptonbankie said:

I heard that you deny the existence of gravity. :P Listen I agree grass is better, but the environment and the lack of any appetite to move to summer football makes it unavoidable that clubs will be forced towards astro pitches.

newton was mistaken .perhaps eventually i will have to watch a team in a grass only league

Cumbernauld has always had a pitch that was waterlogged and in a bad state. The chance of a 4g surface and with Kirkie taking an eternity to build themselves, this would be a no brained idea for me. They spent money on the small pitches behind the goals, why not the larger pitch. I further support summer football for non senior teams and or an early kick off of say 12.00 or 12.30 . This would allow senior teams fans to make a day of it and spend money at the ground pre match in way of drink and food.

Agree with some of your points .Call me a hysterical bitch but should my club move towards  a plastic playing surface I shall go elsewhere . As a revenue source  plastic is now a burst balloon .The bandwagon can take no more . Petershill , Renfrew ,Rossvale , Carluke and Gartcairn in the west to name but 5 are all grounds I will avoid going to should my chaps be scheduled to play there been at most of them and I would rather spend time at the dentist . 

A plastic playing surface and you'll go elsewhere ? [emoji23] have a word with yourself mate.

6 minutes ago, andy25 said:

If Talbot were ever to get a plastic pitch I would go elsewhere as well. Hate watching games on them.

Personally I barely notice the difference between a good grass surface and a maintained 3G.

The problems arise when a 3G isn't maintained, isn't brushed regularly and becomes matted, and the infill isn't topped up.

38 minutes ago, G81' said:

A plastic playing surface and you'll go elsewhere ? emoji23.png have a word with yourself mate.

Christ on a cross I am now being berated by a footballing cuckoo .I watch my local team , they play on grass ,they are not now and never will be my first footballing love  ,I have watched games all over at all levels but even  the best  artificial surface is not for me .I have travelled far and wide to watch games  I enjoy the ambience and the craic . Truth be told I have worked shifts for years and could not be arsed with the hassle of getting shift changes to follow my first football love bringing up a family and providing for them was more important .I am due to retire next year and might treat myself to a season ticket for the seniors but then again perhaps not because I do enjoy football at this level just not on plastic

On 11/19/2017 at 23:02, foreverarover said:

Cumbernauld has always had a pitch that was waterlogged and in a bad state. The chance of a 4g surface and with Kirkie taking an eternity to build themselves, this would be a no brained idea for me. They spent money on the small pitches behind the goals, why not the larger pitch. I further support summer football for non senior teams and or an early kick off of say 12.00 or 12.30 . This would allow senior teams fans to make a day of it and spend money at the ground pre match in way of drink and food.

George Watson invested heavily this year in new drainage for the pitch .Time will tell if there is any improvement - here's hoping . Live TV and flexible kick off times has had an undoubted negative impact on junior clubs too .Who knows how long the Roy will be with us I believe the Great Wall of China was started and finished quicker .There is also the as yet not fully substantiated claims coming from the U S of A that there is a link between the artificial surfaces and cancer ,but we have to remember they also elected Trump and want to build a big wall as well - perhaps they should speak with the Roys architect, so we will have to watch this space for developments there.I have been reviled and maligned in other posts as I cannot stand the "plastic " .I have never once said that it was wrong just not for me simply a choice thing ......I do understand why clubs are going down this path , i accept that for some it has been a raging success but the income generation thing , which is essential for upkeep and eventual replacement , will not be the cash cow it was .Within easy commuting from my house I have Broadwood , Abronhill , Ravenswood , Airdrie Fc , Airdrie sports center , Glasgow ,falkirk , Croy , Kilsyth  ,Larbert to name but a few all with competing plastic pitches .Even spoke with the guy at Alloa about the installation maintenance and replacement costs we would all need benefactors like Largs Thistle to survive this .I would love to see Junior football not only survive but grow but  not at any cost

5 hours ago, Village elder said:

.Even spoke with the guy at Alloa about the installation maintenance and replacement costs we would all need benefactors like Largs Thistle to survive this .I would love to see Junior football not only survive but grow but  not at any cost

Simply not true.  The installation is obviously the major initial cost and the biggest hurdle to overcome (but paid for via grants), however once the pitch is installed the maintenance of it is fairly straightforward either via a third party company coming in and doing it or via purchasing the equipment to do it yourself (a very small percentage of the installation cost).

You then pay into a sink fund over a period of 10-15 years to pay your part of the cost for it's replacement.

It's not as straightforward as just putting the pitch down and leaving it (although it does appear this happens, hence the bad rep some pitches get), but neither do you need benefactors to do it either.

14 hours ago, Village elder said:

Christ on a cross I am now being berated by a footballing cuckoo .I watch my local team , they play on grass ,they are not now and never will be my first footballing love  ,I have watched games all over at all levels but even  the best  artificial surface is not for me .I have travelled far and wide to watch games  I enjoy the ambience and the craic . Truth be told I have worked shifts for years and could not be arsed with the hassle of getting shift changes to follow my first football love bringing up a family and providing for them was more important .I am due to retire next year and might treat myself to a season ticket for the seniors but then again perhaps not because I do enjoy football at this level just not on plastic

Why not? are you playing upfront for your local?  No one's saying you don't enjoy football at this level, however, saying you'd go elsewhere if your team start playing on a plastic pitch is just laughable.

5 hours ago, Village elder said:

George Watson invested heavily this year in new drainage for the pitch .Time will tell if there is any improvement - here's hoping . Live TV and flexible kick off times has had an undoubted negative impact on junior clubs too .Who knows how long the Roy will be with us I believe the Great Wall of China was started and finished quicker .There is also the as yet not fully substantiated claims coming from the U S of A that there is a link between the artificial surfaces and cancer ,but we have to remember they also elected Trump and want to build a big wall as well - perhaps they should speak with the Roys architect, so we will have to watch this space for developments there.I have been reviled and maligned in other posts as I cannot stand the "plastic " .I have never once said that it was wrong just not for me simply a choice thing ......I do understand why clubs are going down this path , i accept that for some it has been a raging success but the income generation thing , which is essential for upkeep and eventual replacement , will not be the cash cow it was .Within easy commuting from my house I have Broadwood , Abronhill , Ravenswood , Airdrie Fc , Airdrie sports center , Glasgow ,falkirk , Croy , Kilsyth  ,Larbert to name but a few all with competing plastic pitches .Even spoke with the guy at Alloa about the installation maintenance and replacement costs we would all need benefactors like Largs Thistle to survive this .I would love to see Junior football not only survive but grow but  not at any cost

Plastic pitches do wear out.

Archived