Gretna - Living (and dying) the Dream

Just now, ICTChris said:

When Tommy Sheridan won his libel case against the News of the World, he used Gretna as an example in his victory speech, comparing his win to Gretna beating Real Madrid.

An apt comparison, all things told.

I was surprised by that, coming from a supposed football supporter in Sheridan. Similarly the Morton supporter on here who got conned in to working on the ice cream castle stadium, he must be the most gullible man on earth, not to have smelt a rat.

I mind when Gretna died the next Saints game at McDiarmid someone had made a banner with GRETNA RIP on it and we all sang “Gretna RIP” over and over again. Good times.

I also went to see Spartans vs Newco Gretna recently and Spartans won with the last kick of the ball. It was fucking glorious.

I mind when Gretna died the next Saints game at McDiarmid someone had made a banner with GRETNA RIP on it and we all sang “Gretna RIP” over and over again. Good times.

I also went to see Spartans vs Newco Gretna recently and Spartans won with the last kick of the ball. It was fucking glorious.

I’m still disappointed we never got to play them in a cup match since.

If you don't have teams to hate, football would be a lot worse.

The games between Clyde and Gretna always had a bit of dig. That made them enjoyable. We ended up with a fairly even record over their time in the league set up. The defeats felt worse than others, the wins felt better. The big disappointment is they stopped probably our best chance to get to a Scottish cup final in years.

Obviously it's not the cuddly toy story some made it out to be but it was definitely a whirlwind ride. Certainly made things more entertaining.

It is a bit of a minter for The Rangers though that a tiny wee village club essentially invented their tactic of running up debts by buying top flight players in the bottom division, but Gretna - Gretna - absolutely skooshed the lower leagues in three seasons while it took Ra Peepul four.

7 hours ago, killiefan27 said:

It is a bit of a minter for The Rangers though that a tiny wee village club essentially invented their tactic of running up debts by buying top flight players in the bottom division, but Gretna - Gretna - absolutely skooshed the lower leagues in three seasons while it took Ra Peepul four.

And it didn't cost them c£70m :lol:

22 hours ago, Gaz said:

We beat them 4-0 the first day of their last season and went top of the league, the only time in my living memory IIRC that we have been at the top of Scottish Football.

It's also the last time we won on the opening day of the season. 10 years FS

The Gretna saga really underlined for me the sheer contempt in which the football media hold the bread-and-butter football supporters. Who were they seriously trying to kid with all this fairytale pish? What was the point? I can understand that sucking up to the OF will sell papers as OF fans sadly exist in huge numbers, but who cared about Gretna?

6 minutes ago, nsr said:

The Gretna saga really underlined for me the sheer contempt in which the football media hold the bread-and-butter football supporters. Who were they seriously trying to kid with all this fairytale pish? What was the point? I can understand that sucking up to the OF will sell papers as OF fans sadly exist in huge numbers, but who cared about Gretna?

The mugs who bought/buy the papers are largely ignorant Rangers and Celtic supporters who like nothing better to patronise smaller clubs and had no interest in the reality. The rest have never been in a football ground for years and the Sun, Record and Radio Clyde are their reality.

No interest in Gretna whatever. They were pretty much dead by the time they got to us( didn't stop us fucking losing to them though).

My only memory was playing them in March 2008 and the game kept getting postponed to the point that we were getting daily afternoon pitch inspections one week. eventually on the Thursday lunch time they said the game could go ahead and was consequently played in front of 500 fans.

I have never fully understood the St Johnstone/ Cosgrove hatred of them regarding financial doping. Was it that someone pumped more money in than what they could ever bring in, as that is 90% of professional football teams, or was it by that stage people already knew the money wasn't getting pumped in?

3 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

No interest in Gretna whatever. They were pretty much dead by the time they got to us( didn't stop us fucking losing to them though).

My only memory was playing them in March 2008 and the game kept getting postponed to the point that we were getting daily afternoon pitch inspections one week. eventually on the Thursday lunch time they said the game could go ahead and was consequently played in front of 500 fans.

I have never fully understood the St Johnstone/ Cosgrove hatred of them regarding financial doping. Was it that someone pumped more money in than what they could ever bring in, as that is 90% of professional football teams, or was it by that stage people already knew the money wasn't getting pumped in?

They got promoted to The SPL in front of St Johnstone when the cracks were becoming evident to anyone with eyes in their head. He bears an understandable grudge. He could direct some of that towards the authorities that sat back and did hee haw though.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

3 hours ago, nsr said:

From what I remember plenty of folk happily bought in to the 'fairytale' narrative.

1 hour ago, NorthernLights said:

I loved their pie in the sky plans for an "eco stadium".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t

1 hour ago, NorthernLights said:

I loved their pie in the sky plans for an "eco stadium".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/g/gretna/7102807.stm

eams/g/gretna/7102807.stm

Muir should have been jailed.

6 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

From what I remember plenty of folk happily bought in to the 'fairytale' narrative.

I suppose it would be attractive to those who think a football club's strategy should be to spend money in an unsustainable manner  in the pursuit of short-term success and bragging rights, and who think that clubs who don't do this are unambitious wasters.

They got promoted to The SPL in front of St Johnstone when the cracks were becoming evident to anyone with eyes in their head. He bears an understandable grudge. He could direct some of that towards the authorities that sat back and did hee haw though.

If I remember correctly Geoff said something in the papers that Gretna wouldn’t last out the season and it would be a farce if they were let into the league.

That, combined with the air of arrogance shown by Mileson left a sour taste in our mouths.