Gretna - Living (and dying) the Dream

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/02/2018 at 11:34, Stu said:

Someone in the office has loaned me a copy of "Living the Dream", which is a behind-the-scenes book about the season they got promoted to the SPL.

Looking forward to reading it. Already had a good laugh at Irons claiming Alexander will definitely be back and he's just filling in for him.

Just finished this. Laughably bad in places, and not just with the benefit of hindsight. The author was a Ross County fan but becomes a Gretna fan, even though it means his team going down at the end of the season. Lots of "Woe is me, think of my book" stuff as well when Gretna threaten to bottle it.

"If Gretna can somehow drag themselves over the finish line it will be the most astonishing achievement in the history of the game" must be one of the most hilarious lines ever printed. Also some great stuff elsewhere in the book from Alexander claiming the press has it in for Gretna and they're achieving everything through hard work and certainly not by spending money.

• 1 year later...
On ‎17‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 21:01, qpsnapper said:

we are talking about Rowan Alexander here.  I think it says it all that he's not been seriously quoted for a job since he left Gretna.

Mega bump.

According to posts in their thread: after 12yrs out of management - bar a spell as Glenafton assistant in 2010 - Rowan Alexander has succeeded Chris Humphrey at... Gretna 2008!

GD10502375.jpg&key=2a6672942a37d5f9080e7

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Happy anniversary everyone. Let's all relive football's greatest fairtytale.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52427793

Absolutely incredible they still have the brass neck to call it a "fairy tale "

18 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Absolutely incredible they still have the brass neck to call it a "fairy tale "

I'd say it was a fairy tale if someone came to me and offered me about ten times my salary to do the same job.I

Apart from that every contributor is a liar. Everyone at the club knew it was a train crash waiting to happen. They were just hoping they could take as much as they could before jumping off.

Hardly a bill was paid from when Mileson turned up until he keeled over and everyone involved knew that.

The wiki on their final season is fun reading

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007–08_Gretna_F.C._season

In their last eleven games they scored four goals.  They seemed to release half their squad and end it with guys who were basically lower/non-league English jobbers.  Attendances fell to sub 500 levels, including the game against us with just over 400 fans there.  I'm sure that one of their games ended up being played at a ground other than Fir Park because they hadn't paid the rent or something like that.

Thjis thread is great reading tbh, what a strnage thing Gretna were and almost as soon as it was over everyone just forgot about them like it never happened.

22 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

In their last eleven games they scored four goals.  They seemed to release half their squad and end it with guys who were basically lower/non-league English jobbers.  Attendances fell to sub 500 levels, including the game against us with just over 400 fans there.  I'm sure that one of their games ended up being played at a ground other than Fir Park because they hadn't paid the rent or something like that.

Thjis thread is great reading tbh, what a strnage thing Gretna were and almost as soon as it was over everyone just forgot about them like it never happened.

I might be misrembering but I'm sure they virtually had a fire sale in January of 06/07, and it being clear to all at that time theyd struggle to see out that season, never mind the next, regardless of promotion.

They played Celtic at Almondvale, but it was because of the state of the pitch at Fir Park, not a failure to pay rent.

Anyone else remember that utter dickhead gretna_ed?

ETA: I see I asked this very question on the first page.

Edited by RiG