Gretna - Living (and dying) the Dream

7 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Our negotiations with crawley when we sold Gibson to them were similarly mental.

In the summer

Crawley-We'll give you £50000 for Gibson
Leishman - try trebling it
Crawley- ok

Gibson didn't want to leave as his girlfriend was just finishing a degree, they came back in January(with only 6 months left on his deal) and still forked out a 6 figure sum , along with giving Gibson a ridiculous rise in his wages.

It's very similar to Rangers when Kevin Kyle went in thinking he'd have to haggle for £2,000 a week, only to get offered something like £6,000 straight away.  They completely lose the concept of a tight budget, and then it's a downward spiral. 

That's the second Gretna documentary, there was one covering the previous season as well. Dunno if it's on YouTube or not.

Can't be bothered watching the full thing again but after the last minute goal against Gretna does Mileson not say something about "always doing it the hard way"?

46 minutes ago, Stu said:

That's the second Gretna documentary, there was one covering the previous season as well. Dunno if it's on YouTube or not.

Can't be bothered watching the full thing again but after the last minute goal against Gretna does Mileson not say something about "always doing it the hard way"?

After beating Ross County, yeah, he says that. Must've had an extra bottle of Lucozade that morning.

1 hour ago, cowdenbeath said:

Your opening line was a classic:thumsup2

Indeed it was. Great stuff.

As many of us have acknowledged we benefited from the dream in that when they were offloading players we got the likes of Tosh and McQuilken  who certainly improved our team and were key players when we lived the dream to reach the Scottish Cup Final, something I never expected to see. I was ecstatic when we made the semi-final TBH. :thumsup2

Long time since I’ve seen that documentary, but a few points of note;

Nothing has changed in my opinion of Graeme Muir in the last decade or so- an absolute tool of a man.

The dig at Queen of the South from that Community Coach hit a raw nerve with me. I don’t know why, I’ve got no great love for Queens, but to almost accuse them of wanting to lie down to get it up Gretna when they may still have had their own battle to win (I can’t remember if they were safe by that point) was just one example of the lack of class that seemed to run right through that club.

The way just about everyone openly discussed Alexander’s illness was another thing. FFS, is nothing sacred?

6 hours ago, Toby said:

Nothing has changed in my opinion of Graeme Muir in the last decade or so- an absolute tool of a man.

The dig at Queen of the South from that Community Coach hit a raw nerve with me. I don’t know why, I’ve got no great love for Queens, but to almost accuse them of wanting to lie down to get it up Gretna when they may still have had their own battle to win (I can’t remember if they were safe by that point) was just one example of the lack of class that seemed to run right through that club.

The way just about everyone openly discussed Alexander’s illness was another thing. FFS, is nothing sacred?

Forgot about that community coach your right he came across as a right dick with his comment.

30 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

Forgot about that community coach your right he came across as a right dick with his comment.

Kevin Somerville if I remember correctly. And that's without having seen that documentary in about 5 years. He now does a very good job with a local kids sports charity "Lets Get Sporty". Comment filed away and neither forgotten nor forgiven though. ;)

Just now, Skyline Drifter said:

Kevin Somerville if I remember correctly. And that's without having seen that documentary in about 5 years. He now does a very good job with a local kids sports charity "Lets Get Sporty". Comment filed away and neither forgotten nor forgiven though. ;)

I was going to add in I wonder what he's doing now, your cleared that up for me.

7 hours ago, Toby said:

We went into that game at St Johnstone not safe. We needed to either win the game or have Airdrie and Ross County not do so to get safe that day. In fact we were safe at full time as both drew and couldn't catch us but had either got a late winner that day we would have been still very much in the mix and facing an effective playoff match with Airdrie at Palmerston in the last game.

We played very poorly that day and deserved to lose but we were in absolutely no position to deliberately lose it.

8 hours ago, Toby said:

Yes as SD has already confirmed we were very much still in the relegation mire at that point.

Classless comment and not a surprise in all honesty.