Gretna - Living (and dying) the Dream

1 hour ago, senorsoupe said:

The first decade of the 2000's was an interesting time in the history of Scottish football.  Lots of sketchy owners like Mileson, Romanov, and Murray in the process of ruining their clubs.  

You are right.  Off the top of my head you also had Dominic Keane, Pearse Flynn, Massimo Marone (all Livingston), Claude Anelka (Raith), Giovanni Di Stefano (Dundee), Steve Archibald (Airdrie).

To some, Gretna are still the club we hate the most. An absolutely horrendous club who looked down on everyone as they started to believe they were loved by the whole country. They should never have been allowed in the top flight, as their fire sale in the January before promotion was the first solid indicator I can remember that they were virtually already dead.

I despise everything about the place still.

Still convinced they were paying off referees until they reached the top division also.

You are right.  Off the top of my head you also had Dominic Keane, Pearse Flynn, Massimo Marone (all Livingston), Claude Anelka (Raith), Giovanni Di Stefano (Dundee), Steve Archibald (Airdrie).

Gavin Masterton (Dunfermline)

I have no real thoughts about Gretna, they shouldn't have been promoted into the Premiership though, it should have been St Johnstone, was obvious which way they were going.

4 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Gavin Masterton (Dunfermline)

I have no real thoughts about Gretna, they shouldn't have been promoted into the Premiership though, it should have been St Johnstone, was obvious which way they were going.

Forgot the name of your one.  The guy who owned Morton around that time was a piece of work as well.

Over the last 25 or 30 years have there been any Scottish clubs that have not had at least one sketchy and/or incompetent owner? 

Us

I despise everything about the place still.

Still convinced they were paying off referees until they reached the top division also.

Bet you've still got your "James Grady touches children" shirts..

Just now, senorsoupe said:

Over the last 25 or 30 years have there been any Scottish clubs that have not had at least one sketchy and/or incompetent owner? 

Aberdeen - Don't think Milne is that bad really?  Maybe a bit lacking in ambition at times.
Celtic - The old board were spectacularly bad.  
Dundee - Constant comedy boards - Dixon, Marrs, Di Stefano, Melville.
Hamilton Academical - gangsters involved I think?
Heart of Midlothian - Mercer hounded out, Robinson hounded out, Romanov hounded out.  Budge an improvement?
Hibernian - Shady fuckers around the time of the Mercer saga.
Kilmarnock - The current lot aren't exactly beloved.
Motherwell - Pay the players fortunes, charge the fans buttons - what could go wrong?
Partick Thistle - Generally competent since Save The Jags I think?
Rangers - So banter.  Much admin.  Many lols.
Ross County - Uncle Roy a good owner, they had a few shady years when he stepped back but no-one 'shady' involved.
St Johnstone - Solid, boring, profitable.

Brechin City - Not a club who owns them.  Does the hedge have shares?
Dumbarton - think they had an issue with their owner secretly owning Livingston?
Dundee United - Baldy snake.
Dunfermline Athletic - Admin all over the shop.
Falkirk - Seem decent over the last period but their fans may disagree
Greenock Morton - Rae seems decent?
Inverness Caledonian Thistle - A few incompetent ones but no-one shady.
Livingston - Wrote the book on this.
Queen of the South - Skyline Drifter runs a tight ship at Queens
St Mirren - Likewise Div.

Airdrieonians - Was Bannatyne a former member of Section B?  They are melting down as we speak.
Albion Rovers - Not a clue who owns them - Paul the Tim?
Alloa Athletic - Their owner seems to run the SPFL for some reason.
Arbroath - xbl runs them with a Wotsit covered, iron fist.
Ayr United - Bill Barr builds stadiums for every other club in Scotland but not his own.
East Fife - No idea who owns this lot.
Forfar Athletic - Dick Campbell pulls the strings.
Queen's Park - I say, an owner is quite vulgar old boy.
Raith Rovers - Run by a cabal of Coldplay, Val McDairmid, Claude Anelka, Turnbull Hutton and more gangsters.
Stranraer - Ferry?

3 hours ago, JamesM82 said:

The bromance that developed between Romanov and Mileson (or Hearts & Gretna more generally) before the cup final was boak-inducing. Made it quite pleasing when Hibs skelped them in both cups the following season.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_cups/4764957.stm

"Whichever way you look at it, the Scottish Cup is culminating in a fairytale final."

ce54f531-0d37-4f21-8643-f253a42a3ed0.gif

Edited by RiG

5 hours ago, Armand 2 said:

There was also the game at Firhill where we were getting pumped 3-0  heading into the final 10 minutes only to miraculously draw thanks to a last-gasp Graham Dorrans' goal.

My mates left at 3-1. I stayed to the bitter glorious end 

I think Mileson had lost his marbles before he even took over and was being manipulated. I had the misfortune to meet a few involved. Alexander was Cùnt in Chief at the club, but was outstripped by many in the media and football authorities. They knew before the start of their final season they'd be lucky to finish it. I doubt I'm betraying a confidence now but Kenny Brannigan told me in before the season kicked they would go into admin and was only a couple of weeks out with his predicted date. There was no chance of recovery, it was widely known at all levels of the game and I suspect a few clubs budgets were adjusted to take account of the reduction in relegation threat.

An episode that contributes to my belief that there are no honest people involved in Scottish football. The lists made above are inaccurate in many areas, but incredibly optimistic in terms of who is ok.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

It is a great shame that club died. What they achieved in such a short space of time is remarkable and a true ‘Roy of the Rovers’ tale of the wee village team rising to the top that all smaller clubs can aspire to. Their players livened up Scottish football in their few short years and their charismatic owner was a real man of the people who stood in the stand with his fellow man. Truly and example to follow!

Gretna, R.I.P [emoji22]

3 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

The first decade of the 2000's was an interesting time in the history of Scottish football.  Lots of sketchy owners like Mileson, Romanov, and Murray in the process of ruining their clubs.  

A frightening amount of clubs were up to the old economic debauchery. Thank f**k we're away from that total ponzi scheme of an era. 

As for Gretna: I was too young to understand at the time what was going on with them, but looking back, they were a total shambles of an organisation. Despised in all the right manner, much like the OF. 

8 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

A frightening amount of clubs were up to the old economic debauchery. Thank f**k we're away from that total ponzi scheme of an era. 

As for Gretna: I was too young to understand at the time what was going on with them, but looking back, they were a total shambles of an organisation. Despised in all the right manner, much like the OF. 

It's just different forms of dishonesty now. From straight forward money laundering to voting cartels to manipulate the distribution of income among clubs and  league format, youth development etc to support vested interests. They are all complicit...see the Rangers saga for reference.