Tin Tack

Cerberus

1 hour ago, The OP said:

Yeah I personally thought the "he's a decent guy with small kids but I was in a bad mood" aspect would've made it clear he was hunting for bites. 

Yes, it seems pretty obvious now, looking back.  Ahh well, he's still a p***k so I'll happily let my post stand unedited.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been sacked on the spot once, and been laid off in redundancy several times. I've recommended as a manager that folk be let go for reasons of lack of professionalism and lack of work output when costs need to be cut and I've given out written and verbal warnings for things to staff before, but never actually sacked anyone, though I have been part of the management staff as a whole in meetings where people have been let go there and then or served redundancy notice.

I've fired people for gross misconduct, I've fired people for failing probation, and I've fired people for accumulating enough disciplinary warnings/lack of capability. I've also made countless people redundant.

I've sacked someone for being under the influence of drugs (marijuana) because we have a policy in our contracts of zero tolerance and it involved testing etc.

Not once have I ever felt good about letting anyone go, though. There was one guy who was an absolute waster and was bringing the whole place down with his attitude and performance, but I'd say it didn't bother me to let him go, not that I actually felt good about doing it. I think you'd need to be a bit of a c**t to feel good about sacking someone to be honest. 

One of my old managers would often tell me about the way he spoke to some of the staff, almost to the point he was bragging about it. A couple of times he would give people an especially hard time in disciplinary meetings and sacked some folk because he was in a c**t of a mood or he didn’t really like the individual. When meeting someone for the first time, he obviously made his mind up pretty quickly that he’d either like the person or absolutely hate them.

I turned up steaming for a pub shift on the day of the Scotland v Italy qualifier when Italy equalised late on. Only reason I didn't get sacked is because I turned up where a couple of my colleagues didn't even bother doing that.

Is this 2005 when Grosso scores equaliser?

3 hours ago, throbber said:

Is this 2005 when Grosso scores equaliser?

Would have been, aye. Was due to start at 7pm and spent the day from 12pm until 6pm in my local. Ever the professional I still turned up and ended up having a great shift behind the bar. The boys who didn’t make it in got the sack and the only reason I didn’t is because they couldn’t afford to lose anyone else at such short notice. My boss actually congratulated me on having the balls to show up in the nick I did and warned me never to even think about it again.

Mental how many bites this blatantly made up story is getting.

Was thinking the same.

As I see it the two options are as follows:

1) We suspend disbelief and the story is true. In which case he's a total c-nt.

2) We (most likely correctly) see through this tissue of lies. In which case he's a rather desperate and unpleasant c-nt.

In Cerberus' defence, the US is absolutely mental about recreational drug use. There's mandatory testing in the most unnecessary of fields - far more of a moral judgement than any practical objection in many companies, and some test hair follicles too, so there's no use claiming you were always sober for work. He could well have found himself getting his own jotters if someone had reported that he'd seen an employee smoking a joint outside the building, and he'd done nothing.

Then again, probably not a great idea to admit you sacked someone because you were in a bad mood, FFS!  :lol:

In Cerberus' defence, the US is absolutely mental about recreational drug use. There's mandatory testing in the most unnecessary of fields - far more of a moral judgement than any practical objection in many companies, and some test hair follicles too, so there's no use claiming you were always sober for work. He could well have found himself getting his own jotters if someone had reported that he'd seen an employee smoking a joint outside the building, and he'd done nothing.
Then again, probably not a great idea to admit you sacked someone because you were in a bad mood, FFS!  [emoji38]

I don't think anyone cares either way about the smoking aspect of this. It's the claim that a bad mood influenced it, and the later claim that he was delighting in the situation, that people find abhorrent.

If he was really a stickler for rules and procedures he should have allowed the disciplining officer to make the decision rather than interfering and forcing the hand which is against all good practice and probably employment law too. 

And everything you’ve said there is exactly the problem with the firm I work for. Middle management at my work are an absolute shower of c***s, across every department and team leaders are the ones left to do the dirty work. There was no interference or ‘forcing the hand’ though. My then boss was part of the disciplinary proceedings and investigation. My pleas to give the guy another chance were purely on a personal level as he was a decent guy and good worker when he wasn’t going awol. Said individual also had the union involved and took his dismissal to tribunal but no employment laws were breached.
“Against all good practice” though: Absolutely! But that’s just the inner workings of the firm I work for and part of the reason I’m currently looking for another job.

On 16/11/2017 at 07:19, Cerberus said:

Ah you’ve got me.
I do enjoy a w**k now and again.

Hopefully not at work...

I've never sacked anyone but I have smoked a joint...

Archived