Tin Tack

Cerberus

I caught a guy smoking a joint standing outside of work yesterday and I fired him.

I asked him if it was a joint and he said no. If he’d confessed I’d have probably just warned him.

He pleaded with me and he’s a decent guy with small kids but I was in a bad mood so he got punted.

Has anyone here had to fire someone?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

I caught a guy smoking a joint standing outside of work yesterday and I fired him.

I asked him if it was a joint and he said no. If he’d confessed I’d have probably just warned him.

He pleaded with me and he’s a decent guy with small kids but I was in a bad mood so he got punted.

Firing someone when you didn't have to thread for this pish.

4 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

Is it not legal to smoke in California ? If so harsh IMO.

Unless of course there's a safety issue.

7 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

You sound like a right c**t.

Very close to it. Got a strange email from a guy on a Scottish football forum once saying that one of my employees had been up to things of ill repute, but I'd won on a scratchcard that morning and felt in a lenient mood.

18 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

This is the sacking thread, not the made up pish thread

39 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Is it not legal to smoke in California ? If so harsh IMO.

Unless of course there's a safety issue.

Its legal to drink alcohol in the UK but I'm pretty sure you'd get the chop for drinking at the workplace. Particularly if you are an airline pilot.

1 minute ago, throbber said:

Its legal to drink alcohol in the UK but I'm pretty sure you'd get the chop for drinking at the workplace. Particularly if you are an airline pilot.

I once got sacked for being inebriated at my workplace.    But I was extremely unlucky.  

Just now, PB 4.2 said:

I once got sacked for being inebriated at my workplace.    But I was extremely unlucky.  

What was your job at the time?

If you were to sack all construction workers for having cannabis in their system in the UK then not a lot of manual work would be getting done.

Just now, throbber said:

That was kind of the point I was making. Plenty folk have a pint during a lunch meeting, at seminars etc.

If the guy works in a warehouse sticking labels on boxes it's no big deal, if he drives the school bus it becomes an issue.

3 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

That was kind of the point I was making. Plenty folk have a pint during a lunch meeting, at seminars etc.

If the guy works in a warehouse sticking labels on boxes it's no big deal, if he drives the school bus it becomes an issue.

What work does Cerberus do? It doesn't necessarily mean its not a big deal if you work in a warehouse sticking label on boxes either, if someones paying you to do something or they are responsible for your input then they have every right to not want you smoking weed during work hours.

3 minutes ago, throbber said:

What was your job at the time?

I was working a in bar in Perth (no names).   I'd worked the dayshift 11-5.   Afterwards I was on a night out as my mate had just had a bairn, we visited about 5 pubs before returning to the boozer where I worked.   The trainee lassie was struggling badly and was running out of glasses.   I jumped behind the bar for about 25 mins unpaid glass washing, I was just finishing up when the boss walked in.   Rather than thanking me, she sacked me for being under the influence behind the bar.    She wasn't a nice person to work for.   

10 minutes ago, throbber said:

What work does Cerberus do? It doesn't necessarily mean its not a big deal if you work in a warehouse sticking label on boxes either, if someones paying you to do something or they are responsible for your input then they have every right to not want you smoking weed during work hours.

He guards the gates of hell to stop the dead coming back to life. Quite a bit of of responsibility, maybe he was a bit stressed.

Yes. Took no pleasure in it at all as said individual was having a shite time of it at home. Unfortunately my then manager was a stickler for rules and procedures (which is fair enough I suppose), my pleas fell on deaf ears and I was given the instruction to sack him.

13 minutes ago, throbber said:

We need more info from the OP. I sense there may be a twist in the tale here.

The employee may have been on a break ? The fact he suggests that he would have forgiven the employee had he confessed suggests that the weed smoking may not have had any great effect on his job performance.

1 minute ago, 8MileBU said:

Yes. Took no pleasure in it at all as said individual was having a shite time of it at home. Unfortunately my then manager was a stickler for rules and procedures (which is fair enough I suppose), my pleas fell on deaf ears and I was given the instruction to sack him.

If he was really a stickler for rules and procedures he should have allowed the disciplining officer to make the decision rather than interfering and forcing the hand which is against all good practice and probably employment law too. 

Archived