Do you still buy physical formats?

Richey Edwards

On 21/11/2017 at 12:13, L. Brilliant said:

I know it's another conversation, but i quite like that you can always hear something before you buy it - much more meritocratic than the era when you bought stuff based on marketing. Or, basically anything other than what it sounded like. But i've not really been paying for everything i do like, so it's not perfect either.

Yeah. That's an advantage. My teenage years were the late 80s/early 90s. I used to buy the NME and Melody Maker every week and read about bands that were never on tv or the radio. I often bought records or CDs on the strength of a band appearing cool. 

As a result I wasted large sums of cash on utter shite, which is why I don't feel guilty about streaming or downloading. The music industry have had enough of my money. They'e not fucking getting any more.

Sounds like you are still a nipper yourself. I recall going to AZAD Video(Other geographically specific chains may apply) and renting VHS tapes, as well as Megadrive and SNES games...

Can remember one wall in the video shop being full of CG's tapes and the other full of Betamax. Same films mind. Problem with streaming for me is you don't invest the same time and effort in the music as you did when you had to buy it to listen to it. Music used to be something to savour but not anymore. It's just there

I only had a CD player in my old car so had to buy everything until I got a Bluetooth FM transmitter. It's all built in the new car so I use Spotify for almost everything (except for one Bluetones album that isn't on there). I love driving so it's much easier for me to make a playlist and listen to that than listen to the same CD 3 times in one journey. 

That said, for certain artists, I need the physical format, even when it is on a streaming service, because I need to have the whole collection, even though I have no means of playing it in the house. Physical formats will never end for me for that reason. 

14 hours ago, Lisa Cuddy said:

I only had a CD player in my old car so had to buy everything until I got a Bluetooth FM transmitter. It's all built in the new car so I use Spotify for almost everything (except for one Bluetones album that isn't on there). I love driving so it's much easier for me to make a playlist and listen to that than listen to the same CD 3 times in one journey. 

That said, for certain artists, I need the physical format, even when it is on a streaming service, because I need to have the whole collection, even though I have no means of playing it in the house. Physical formats will never end for me for that reason. 

I’m the same. I buy a CD, download it onto iTunes and never use the disc again, but at least I’ve got it in my collection... :lol: 

Nearly everything comes out on vinyl now so I've basically stopped buying CDs.

Use YouTube to check out new stuff but if I like something I want the physical item.

Having said that you won't put your back out lifting a box with 100 mp3s in it. 

About two years ago when I got a new PC with a massive hard drive I burned my entire music collection into iTunes.  Took me more than a year but there are 70,000 songs on there so I don't really need spotify!

• 1 month later...

Had actively resisted streaming as I loved the browsing through a record/cd store and walking out with something new or something I’d been after for ages. However just got into Apple Music streaming in the last fortnight and enjoying having the access to the huge selection tho I think I’d still continue buying hard copies of stuff I want for the ‘collection’. My daughter put the collecting bit onto perspective when she asked what I wanted her to do with the stuff when i snuffed it. Made me wonder after 50 years, what’s the point.

I haven't bought a CD in many years but I have bought some vinyl relatively recently after my dad gave me his old turntable.  I have a ton of music on my computer and I often stream through google play music but I find listening to a record more relaxing sometimes.   My old CD wallet was recently found and put in the car,  the missus finds my old mix CD's highly entertaining as a window into the soul of me between the ages of 16-21 (I'm 32 for the record).

Archived