The Bah Humbug Thread

5 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Also, the cherry picking of German Christmas tradition can gtf. If we can have indoor trees, then we can have Knecht Ruprecht as well. Kids are little sh*ts these days and the threat of a bag of coal is doing nothing. Personally, I'd love a bag of coal for Christmas as it would be a highly practical gift seeing as I have a coal fire that gets most use during the cold winter months, but nobody ever considers that.

Anyway, for those in need of enlightenment, Ruprecht is the 'thing' that goes around with Santa and beats up the children with a big stick if they've been bad. Imagine the thought of this guy creeping into your bedroom late on Christmas Eve, that would soon sort you out:

20787fa01f53f2590139784691692119--winter-solstice-pagan.jpg

il_340x270-401386545_s03d1.jpg

That blows my guess out of the water.

Image result for dirty rotten scoundrels gif

5 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Also, the cherry picking of German Christmas tradition can gtf. If we can have indoor trees, then we can have Knecht Ruprecht as well. Kids are little sh*ts these days and the threat of a bag of coal is doing nothing. Personally, I'd love a bag of coal for Christmas as it would be a highly practical gift seeing as I have a coal fire that gets most use during the cold winter months, but nobody ever considers that.

Anyway, for those in need of enlightenment, Ruprecht is the 'thing' that goes around with Santa and beats up the children with a big stick if they've been bad. Imagine the thought of this guy creeping into your bedroom late on Christmas Eve, that would soon sort you out:

20787fa01f53f2590139784691692119--winter-solstice-pagan.jpg

il_340x270-401386545_s03d1.jpg

The ladies would love a visit from Ruprecht with that big tongue of his.

I quite like Christmas. Has it's good points and bad points.

Good points:

Women from work dressed up for Christmas nights out.

The odd bit of telly that's really good.

Food.

Decent Christmas music.

Time off work.

Putting your coupon on for the horses and watching the King George on TV on Boxing Day with left overs from the Christmas dinner.

Bad points:

Actually having to attend office Christmas nights out.

The majority of telly that's absolutely garbage.

Having to go food shopping just before Christmas when people are generally acting like complete tools and buying like the shops will never open again.

Crap Christmas music.

Havign the office festooned in tinsel and other tat for about 3 weeks, with nobody willing to tidy the place afterwards.

People wearing Christmas jumpers.

People who only ever drink at Christmas and become absolute nightmares with it.

Stop on the 13th this year. Fly out to Germany on the 14th for a sports citybreak (ice hockey and Bundesliga football) so I'll visit a proper Christmas market when I'm there. Home on the 18th and then relaxing until I'm back to work on the Wednesday after Christmas.

Christmas is fucking magic and if you think otherwise you are most probably a miserable c**t the other 364 days.

Do you mean the day itself? If people enjoy the day itself, it's probably because they are just turning up and getting fed, while downing booze and watching telly. I love it when it's like that. It's not quite as much fun if you are doing the cooking, serving and washing up.

The actual festive period - week leading up to Christmas and week leading up to New Year is a good time of year, before the never ending bleakness of January starts.

• 2 weeks later...

My festive gripe so far is the Aberdeen Christmas Village.  What a half arsed, lot of shit that is.  

I was down in Edinburgh for the rugby a week or so ago and after the game we had a walk around the Christmas Market in Princes Street Gardens and thought that was good.  There were lots of stalls selling stuff and lots of options for food and drink.  We probably spent a good hour or so there.

On Saturday evening we decided to see what the Aberdeen one is like.  A few rides, an ice rink and some less then appetising looking food.  There were no stalls selling gifts.  They would have been in the courtyard of Marischal College but they are only there on very specific days and times.  So after less then 5 minutes we'd seen everything that was there and headed to the pub    

On 17/11/2017 at 14:46, The Equalizer said:

Christmas is fucking magic and if you think otherwise you are most probably a miserable c**t the other 364 days.

What's it to you if we are? You can enjoy your Christmas without forcing it on the miserable folk. So, kindly, f**k off out of this thread with your Christmas Cheer and let us enjoy our Christmas Jeer.

4 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I was in the supermarket yesterday and Fairytale of New York was being played.  I like that song.

The supermarket was Sainsbury’s.

It just reminds me Kirsty Maccoll got decapitated by a speedboat.