Bullshit Sayings

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Cerberus said:

Alcoholism, drug abuse, binge eating, beating the wife / kids.

Can you call these a coping mechanism? Addictions perhaps. Abuse in the case of wife/kid beating.

1 minute ago, sjc said:

As an atheist I share your scepticism of Religion but save my criticism for the preaching fundamentalist types as opposed to those that quietly follow their Religion for personal solace.

Right. But in the context of this thread "Bullshit sayings"; I'm referring to the people who do not 'quietly follow their religion for personal solace.' If that's all they were doing then we wouldn't be familiar with the phrases.

I gave a couple of examples of bullshit sayings but spend any time around religious people, either in real life or online and you'll hear a million more every day.  "Thoughts and prayers",  "Everything happens for a reason", "There are no atheists in a foxhole", "God is in control" and on and on and on.

Religious people take pride in their inability / unwillingness to think for themselves. I don't believe they should.

4 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

Right. But in the context of this thread "Bullshit sayings"; I'm referring to the people who do not 'quietly follow their religion for personal solace.' If that's all they were doing then we wouldn't be familiar with the phrases.

I gave a couple of examples of bullshit sayings but spend any time around religious people, either in real life or online and you'll hear a million more every day.  "Thoughts and prayers",  "Everything happens for a reason", "There are no atheists in a foxhole", "God is in control" and on and on and on.

Religious people take pride in their inability / unwillingness to think for themselves. I don't believe they should.

That's a fair point.

Headlines that proclaim a “hilarious” video. From the BBC to newspaper websites, they all fill out a lack of real content with “hilarious” videos that have gone “viral”. In Scottish newspapers this normally means something that has been viewed about 3,000 times and usually features some c**t singing along to a song in their van. 

Oh, and lightning doesn’t strike twice. Stupid saying. 

45 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

If Messi or Ronaldo had done that.... blabla fuckoff

Exactly. I've seen Nat Wedderburn do many things that pair could only dream of. The correct phrase should be "If Wedderburn had done that.. blah blah.."

I saw one at lunchtime today "If you dream it you can do it".

I bloody hope not otherwise I'll be spending the rest of my life sharing a maximum security cell with WTM....

ETA (for smart arses): NO, that's not my dream....

4 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

I saw one at lunchtime today "If you dream it you can do it".

I bloody hope not otherwise I'll be spending the rest of my life sharing a maximum security cell with WTM....

ETA (for smart arses): NO, that's not my dream....

I once dreamt I played for Scotland at Wembley. I am 27 years old and can't play football.

Archived