Livingston v Glenafton

glenmuir

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just back from the game today. Thought the glens were very good. After an hour livvie  started bossing the game a bit but even with a disappointing home support, I think a few will have left with good things to say about the standard of junior football. Was it just me or was it Baltic in livvie today? 

It was baltic. Glens did well but there was a wee difference in abilities as expected.
Biggest difference for me was the physicality.
Big strong team who won everything in the air.
Application and tactics for glens were a big plus, went to have a go and im really proud of the the team, management and committee.
Good luck to livi moving forward [emoji106]

27 minutes ago, Stillseekfedup said:

It was baltic. Glens did well but there was a wee difference in abilities as expected.
Biggest difference for me was the physicality.
Big strong team who won everything in the air.
Application and tactics for glens were a big plus, went to have a go and im really proud of the the team, management and committee.
Good luck to livi moving forward emoji106.png

I think the players will gain a lot from the experience and will gain a bit of confidence from the way they competed. Livvie are a very good side who move the ball well and play football. Enjoyed my day and will make a point of popping down to see the glens soon. Try and get chris Kelly to come with me and show him what a good keeper looks like. 

For all the focus on our gate price and other teams fans having a laugh about our attendance today, I had a look at the other Scottish cup games attendances and looks like ours had the biggest crowd.

Peterhead v Raith-671

Montrose v QoS-512

Dumbarton v Elgin-491

Are some examples.

2 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Yeah Maley gives me the fear whenever he has to deal with a high ball into our box, either flaps at it or punches wildly with one fist, thank feck he hadn't any shots to deal with. His kicking is poor too. Thought Dec was fantastic for us at the back today, anything that got in behind us he swept up. Our passing was piss poor in the first half, looked like we were really needing this game before QoS next Sat after having a fortnight without a game. Glenafton did a power of work in the first half though, and pressed us well, but looked like they faded 2nd half and we started running them down the wings, Mullin put in a cracking cross for Mackin's 2nd. Wee Knox was running rings around them when he came on too, shame his shot was saved when he went right through the middle and got in on goal, would've been deserved if he scored.

Good support for Glens too, kinda glad they didn't get humped and their team did them proud.

Not sure why you singled out Knox there - I thought he was very poor with all his old show-boating coming back into his game; there's little good in running past two players if you end up losing it to the third. He had previously dropped that element from his game and become a better player for it but I suspect because we were playing a Junior team he allowed a bit of arrogance to creep back into his game.

Just now, Durnford said:

Not sure why you singled out Knox there - I thought he was very poor with all his old show-boating coming back into his game; there's little good in running past two players if you end up losing it to the third. He had previously dropped that element from his game and become a better player for it but I suspect because we were playing a Junior team he allowed a bit of arrogance to creep back into his game.

Because I enjoyed seeing him beating 3 and 4 players at a time and running at them, Longridge was doing my head in because he wouldn't take a player on. Thought he was unlucky not to score too, I love players like Knox, and opposition players fear a player as direct as him.

I love players like Knox, and opposition players fear a player as direct as him.

Fully agree about ‘players ‘ going direct [emoji1360]
We had a player sitting on the bench today (?) that does that. He came on in the second half and I could see he and another late substitute made some difference to Afton’s pace. Pity they didn’t start the game. But the gaffer knows best [emoji6]

3 hours ago, ATLIS said:

Hope the Rangers fans enjoyed their nice wee day out, will bring back memories of when we pumped them 1-0 :D 

Glenafton did ok, decent at the back and looked okay down the wings but all in all the gulf in class showed. I'm not honestly sure they had a shot on target - nothing that troubled Maley anyway (thank f**k).

If we had Danny in the team can almost guarantee it'd have been 6 or 7. Fair play to big Mackin though, top scorer for us nothing from doing absolute f**k all. He's a brilliant finishes and Hopkin says they're working on his fitness. He's improved a lot from the last time I saw him.

Thought Knox and Cadden came on to take the piss and run the ball around Glens which was funny but as their legs tired they just flew into stupid tackles like a right mob.

735 is a good attendance given we were expecting a record low - not helped by Glenafton's 5 buses being a bus and a minibus :D 

Before we go any further the glens did fine the day but got beat by a good team , but that is one of the worst posts I've ever seen on here , f****n nonsense ☹️

Fully agree about ‘players ‘ going direct [emoji1360]
We had a player sitting on the bench today (?) that does that. He came on in the second half and I could see he and another late substitute made some difference to Afton’s pace. Pity they didn’t start the game. But the gaffer knows best [emoji6]

All about opinions. I watch Glens every week and whilst when on his game Lynass can be effective, he is too inconsistent in my opinion.
He's also very light and non physical and in a game like todays i dont thing it would have suited him.
Glens had to be solid today and hard to beat and for that to happen you need workers and physical toughness.
I personally cant fault the team selection today.

Glens had to be solid today and hard to beat and for that to happen you need workers and physical toughness.
I personally cant fault the team selection today.

No complaints about the team selection today. Livingston are a big team at the back and as you say, some in the Afton team lack physicality so Southy got it right with his team selection. Thought Dale & Conor did well when they came on.

On a side note. Any word on Ally Park. I seen the ambulance crew in the dugout attending to him. [emoji53]

On 15/11/2017 at 18:00, skinnymalinkylonglegs said:

not looking good for the glens,out of west last week,pos out of big scottish this weekend and good chance out of junior cup next weekend by rob roy,after a fantastic season last year.o to be a glens fan.

Yip , there's no doubt that we've got a hard set of fixtures, it comes with being successful. Absolutely alien to a team like Cumnock. But can you explain getting 5 home league games on the bounce , care to explain George Morton ????

All about opinions. I watch Glens every week and whilst when on his game Lynass can be effective, he is too inconsistent in my opinion.

Opinions it’s about [emoji6]
I miss very few games, and whilst I agree with you on many of your views ( or opinions).
Young Lynass is very much a squad player which I feel is a label he doesn’t deserve. If he was getting more of a starting role. Not only would his confidence grow by game his strength would too.
What we are getting is, a lad that is a sub more often than not, who isn’t getting enough time on the park to make much of a difference when called upon. This is where the inconsistency comes from.

I like him. I like his drive and willingness to take a player on. I was at both Talbot league games last season, and we know what he did there. Then he was a sub for the final where in my opinion he should have started. Talbot were probably glad he was a sub [emoji23]

I just feel we are missing a tick with the lad.

But it’s opinions [emoji23][emoji1360][emoji6]

3 hours ago, 93glens17 said:

Yip , there's no doubt that we've got a hard set of fixtures, it comes with being successful. Absolutely alien to a team like Cumnock. But can you explain getting 5 home league games on the bounce , care to explain George Morton ????

thats what you got,deal with it.

2 hours ago, Lokloyal said:

The question is would any junior side get past Livingston?Very much doubt it.Glens gave it a shot but it's a good level up from what we watch.

Livi are full time aren't they? Would have been a major shock for any Junior side away from home. 

Archived