ICTFC v Crusaders

Stephen Malkmus

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Just 1,044 attended. Very poor for a Cup Semi final, even in the Challenge Cup.
The difference in enthusiasm between Sons and ICT fans is remarkable...

The crowd was pretty much as expected given our attendances so far in the competition. We were hardly going to see a massive surge of interest from ICT fans for this one.

The crowd was pretty much as expected given our attendances so far in the competition. We were hardly going to see a massive surge of interest from ICT fans for this one.

Having won a major trophy in 2015, I can see that it would not generate the same enthusiasm but it’s still an opportunity for your club in increase its silverware so I would have thought a few more would turnout for the semi-final.

13 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Having won a major trophy in 2015, I can see that it would not generate the same enthusiasm but it’s still an opportunity for your club in increase its silverware so I would have thought a few more would turnout for the semi-final.

You could walk through Inverness on a Saturday afternoon when we are playing and I bet more than half the people you'd bump into wouldn't even know there is a game on. The (sad) fact is the city couldn't give a toss about the club.

You could walk through Inverness on a Saturday afternoon when we are playing and I bet more than half the people you'd bump into wouldn't even know there is a game on. The (sad) fact is the city couldn't give a toss about the club.

Ironically, the Old Firm probably had a stranglehold on the city before ICT came along. Sad state of affairs but probably going to take a long time to convert future generations.

9 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Ironically, the Old Firm probably had a stranglehold on the city before ICT came along. Sad state of affairs but probably going to take a long time to convert future generations.

Belfast was dominated by it's own Big Two (Linfield and Glentoran). At Crusaders we've poured money and effort into our Mini Soccer / Youth teams. It's become more than a box ticking exercise to attain a domestic license. You can see kids wearing Crues tracksuits in many areas of Belfast now, many of these kids also attend our games now for free.

Belfast was dominated by it's own Big Two (Linfield and Glentoran). At Crusaders we've poured money and effort into our Mini Soccer / Youth teams. It's become more than a box ticking exercise to attain a domestic license. You can see kids wearing Crues tracksuits in many areas of Belfast now, many of these kids also attend our games now for free.

Does the religious divide play a part on who will/will not support Crusaders? I don’t know that much about football in N Ireland but I would assume that Linfield and Glentoran are sadly aligned to Rangers and Celtic respectively?

7 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Does the religious divide play a part on who will/will not support Crusaders? I don’t know that much about football in N Ireland but I would assume that Linfield and Glentoran are sadly aligned to Rangers and Celtic respectively?

No no, Linfield and Glentoran (the Irish League's Big Two) would be the best supported teams by far over here. Incidentally both would viewed as 'Protestant'. As Crusaders play in a 'Protestant' area of North Belfast we also would be viewed as a 'Protestant' club.

I guess my point is instead of having just kids for the immediate locality attend our games we've (through mini soccer) tried and succeeded to have kids both Protestant and Catholic from all areas of Belfast to come along to Seaview. We also invite schools and youth clubs etc from these areas.

Bottom line is kids love football, get local children into the habit of coming to your stadium to watch the real thing and get them supported Caley as they are your future. :)

No no, Linfield and Glentoran (the Irish League's Big Two) would be the best supported teams by far over here. Incidentally both would viewed as 'Protestant'. As Crusaders play in a 'Protestant' area of North Belfast we also would be viewed as a 'Protestant' club.
I guess my point is instead of having just kids for the immediate locality attend our games we've (through mini soccer) tried and succeeded to have kids both Protestant and Catholic from all areas of Belfast to come along to Seaview. We also invite schools and youth clubs etc from these areas.
Bottom line is kids love football, get local children into the habit of coming to your stadium to watch the real thing and get them supported Caley as they are your future. [emoji4]

My reason for asking was that I thought that it would constrain any opportunity to further develop a fan base.
Sounds like some really positive initiatives are in progress and that augurs well for the future. The problem for clubs such as yours and ICT though is that it can take a really long time to get people on board and committed even under such enterprises.
I was just reading up on the club and it looks like attendances are up at least 50% the last few years in line with the league and cup successes. Must be really difficult to compete with so many established clubs in Belfast though.
I’ll be looking out for your teams results in future weeks now..

37 minutes ago, Crusader Knight said:

Once we get this happens http://metro.co.uk/2018/01/24/bridge-built-scotland-northern-ireland-7255433/ we'll be over every other weekend! :thumsup2

Aye I can just see the Tory arse lickin DUP canvassing in Scotland once a bridge is built.

And  I noted the union flag draped over seats in the away end, we normally associate that with Rangers and we all know how they cheated their way in football.  

51 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

And  I noted the union flag draped over seats in the away end, we normally associate that with Rangers and we all know how they cheated their way in football.  

To be fair most IL clubs situated in Protestant areas would have the Union Jack or 'Ulster fleg' in the banners, whilst clubs sited in Catholic areas would fly the Irish tri-colour. Personally, I would like to see club colours just on display.

14 hours ago, Crusader Knight said:

Bottom line is kids love football, get local children into the habit of coming to your stadium to watch the real thing and get them supported Caley as they are your future. :)

Interesting. I used to think Linfield and Glentoran  were protestant and catholic clubs respectively. until I was corrected when I was over there once. I didnt know that Crusaders were a protestant club, as the name invokes medieval catholic history.  Now correct me - isnt Cliftonville a catholic or catholic supported club?

Yes Cliftonville would be perceived as a Catholic club. They are also are our rival derby club also coming from North Belfast. Here's footage from last Boxing Day at Seaview, you'll probably see a few of the forementioned Irish tricolours within their support.

I might be wrong in this, but in my experience, Irish football fans (both Northern and Republic) seem to 'support' about five different clubs.  Usually their local side, a Scottish side (99% of the time one of the Old Firm), and then one or more English side.  Why is this?  

I only support Caley Thistle.  There aren't enough hours in the day to support anyone else!

Archived