TNS v Dumbarton

aftershocker

I cant imagine why anyone would prefer to watch Premier youth teams getting regularly scudded by lower league sides than a good game between more evenly matched teams from Wales or Ireland. For me the Colt sides are out of their depth and devalue the tournament, and that seems to be the general view of them.

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Speaking as a TNS gloryhunter (actually an Aston Villa fan, but follow TNS in Europe and now this competition) ...
I love the Scottish Challenge Cup.  I know it must be a pain for some of the Scottish clubs, and it's a bit of an embarrassment when the home supporters are regularly outnumbered & outsung by away ones ... but the ties have been loads of fun.  It'll be good for Welsh football for the top 2 to be playing some higher calibre teams a bit later in the season.  It's been sadly missing since the "English" sides (Cardiff, Swansea, Wrexham, Newport, Merthyr & Colwyn Bay) were excluded from the Welsh Cup.  Not sure if the colt teams add much to the competition, though.
Safe journey down, hope it turns out to be a decent game [emoji4]

Get the English clubs back in the Welsh Cup too.

Hereford
Shrewsbury
Telford
Kiddie
Chester
Crewe etc.

15 hours ago, algy said:

Speaking as a TNS gloryhunter (actually an Aston Villa fan, but follow TNS in Europe and now this competition) ...

I love the Scottish Challenge Cup.  I know it must be a pain for some of the Scottish clubs, and it's a bit of an embarrassment when the home supporters are regularly outnumbered & outsung by away ones ... but the ties have been loads of fun.  It'll be good for Welsh football for the top 2 to be playing some higher calibre teams a bit later in the season.  It's been sadly missing since the "English" sides (Cardiff, Swansea, Wrexham, Newport, Merthyr & Colwyn Bay) were excluded from the Welsh Cup.  Not sure if the colt teams add much to the competition, though.

Safe journey down, hope it turns out to be a decent game :)

What did you make of the TNS games against Elgin Livingston and QOS?

We've sold 325 tickets so far apparently. Let's hope we don't completely shit the bed.
Aye, and that probably doesn't factor in sales direct from TNS - as far as I know that's how our hospitality tickets are working.

I predict the biggest let soon since Bonnie Prince Charlie's Barmy Army staggered into Derby.

Despite the selection problems its hard to see Dumbarton fielding a team as weak as  those TNS play every week.  Both Livi an especially QOS had them on the ropes for most of the 2nd half.  I cant see Dumbarton getting a doing.

Despite the selection problems its hard to see Dumbarton fielding a team as weak as  those TNS play every week.  Both Livi an especially QOS had them on the ropes for most of the 2nd half.  I cant see Dumbarton getting a doing.
I really wish all us Dumbarton fans had your optimism

9 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:
13 minutes ago, Big Berk said:

I really wish all us Dumbarton fans had your optimism

I really hope Dumbarton doesnt have their fans pessimism !

8 hours ago, Big Berk said:

What did you make of the TNS games against Elgin Livingston and QOS?

Livingston - had to watch it on telly, sadly.  Was quite reminiscent of their European adventure against Legia Warsaw a few years back ... went 1-0 up then spent the rest of the game trying to protect it.  Worked out better against Livi than it did against Legia, but TNS were very fortunate to win.  

Elgin - TNS were in command of the game for long periods, Elgin rarely looked capable of doing much. 

QoS - Queens fans were phenomenal, must've been two or three of them for every TNS supporter.  The game itself was end-to-end stuff.  though same story in the second half - TNS started fading away as QoS worked out how to play against them.   Thankfully they held on for penalties.

Overall - At least as a 'foreign' supporter, it's been really enjoyable.  TNS wouldn't last five minutes in the Championship, I imagine, but are just good enough to compete in one-off matches.  I'm kind of gutted that I've not had an excuse to travel north of the border this season, think it'd be a good away trip (albeit with a high probability of failure).  Hope it's not a Crusaders-TNS final, that'd be a disaster ... plus my best mate's an Inverness supporter, it'd be nice to finally go to a game with him where neither of us are neutrals!

Your views are  very much mine from watching all the games on SC4. I also went to watch last seasons match against Forfar Athletic which they deservedly won 3-1, but Forfar gave them a game.  I expected better from Elgin after they beat a decent Irish side (a bit fortunately admittedly). I think football wise TNS are good to watch. 

PS I cant see Crusaders overcoming an in-form Inverness.  They only just managed to beat Dundee United's second string.

As Wilf has posted on the Sons thread, Stevie is hopeful of Sam Wardrop being cleared to play this weekend.  Seemingly he's been close the last couple of weeks but Celtic are pretty careful with injuries. I think that would be a pretty big boost for us.

You reckon we'd get away with Andy Stirling pretending to be Davie Wilson for a day?

36 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

How many expected to travel?

As of last night we'd sold 325 tickets, but I'm not sure if that includes tickets which are booked online through TNS website (which I know more than a few have done). When you consider we have exiled Sons travelling from different areas of England too, we very well might push 400, which for us is quite frankly ridiculous.

On 12/02/2018 at 22:28, Skyline Drifter said:

At the ground? There's a car park outside but it's maybe got room for 40 or 50 cars at a guess. I believe they have overflow parking on a field near the ground subject to weather being decent enough that it's not a mudheap. I don't know what your chances of that in February are though! Beyond that I'm not really sure. It's basically at the end of a country lane (only barely two vehicles wide so certainly no room for parking on it) which itself is a turn off from a main dual carriageway. So there'as no on street parking immediately obvious around it. I was on the bus though so maybe another Queens fan who actually drove could help more. I didn't have to look for parking. There was a rugby club on the left a few hundred yards before the football club. Presumably it has some parking.

To be pedantic it's not actually a dual carriageway, one lane each way but wide enough for cars to try passing down the middle, which can be frightening if you're not expecting it. Oswestry's pretty good for a night out, no idea about clubs and the like though.

On 17/11/2017 at 14:01, Flash said:

If anybody is going by train, it might be worth checking this website to see if ticket splitting produces a saving. Better doing it within 12 weeks of travel. Nearest station is Gobowen.

Downside is that they take 10% of the saving, unless you can work out where the splits are and book it yourself via National Rail Enquiries.

https://www.splitticketing.com/

Bit late for this but do that trip regularly, but usually fly from Inverness to Birmingham and direct train it from there. usually ends up cheaper. Wouldn't do that from Glasgow though. If I go by train you can save a fortune by splitting the tickets at Glasgow and either Warrington Bank Quay or Crewe, depending on your route. No need to use that site.

21 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Bit late for this but do that trip regularly, but usually fly from Inverness to Birmingham and direct train it from there. usually ends up cheaper. Wouldn't do that from Glasgow though. If I go by train you can save a fortune by splitting the tickets at Glasgow and either Warrington Bank Quay or Crewe, depending on your route. No need to use that site.

We've got two buses running (one for folks staying overnight and one for folk down and back on the same day) and it sounds like most of the rest are driving down themselves.  I checked the train fairly early once the date was announced and tickets were about £75.  Considering I've been able to book a bus down and back (£35), match ticket (£10) and hotel for the night (£30) for the exact same price I'd be shocked if any Sons fan has opted for the train.

8 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

We've got two buses running (one for folks staying overnight and one for folk down and back on the same day) and it sounds like most of the rest are driving down themselves.  I checked the train fairly early once the date was announced and tickets were about £75.  Considering I've been able to book a bus down and back (£35), match ticket (£10) and hotel for the night (£30) for the exact same price I'd be shocked if any Sons fan has opted for the train.

That's a good deal for what will be a good day out and a novalty tie.

Archived