The SNP take heavy bungs and are failing Scotland and do not actually want independence because that means they would have no one to blame but themselves.

A Millie Tant type I work with was telling me about how she didn't think animals should die so she could eat, and that she got enough nutrition from dairy.

I had to explain about how the poor baby calves are taken away and shot in the face just so she could eat cheese.

Also, many so called vegans are unaware that wine (and i think beer and cider) is clarified using a fish bladder derivative. They need to be told so that they can't keep pretending not to know.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Lambie's Pigeon Feed said:

What a childish position to take. I like the food they make me. I will reciprocate with a vegan meal, you know because they're friends and are vegan. I just find it trickier than normal to cook for them because I'm not used to it and generally don't make vegan meals (the vast majority of meat free meals I cook will involve dairy or eggs).

I wouldn't expect a bacon roll from a vegan the same way I wouldn't from a Muslim or someone allergic to pork. Do you have friends? Generally you don't decide what they cook for you when they invite you round for dinner. You'd have to be a massive arsehole to demand to be cooked and served meat at the home of someone who doesn't eat meat. You'd also have to be a massive arsehole to refuse to have them round for dinner because they won't eat meat, or to make them bring their own meal, or to present them with a bacon roll knowing they don't eat it. Are you a massive arsehole?

If you had vegan and/or vegetarian friends at your house for a meal would you make 'normal' food for yourself and other guests?

1 hour ago, smpar said:

I've come very close to mastering butter chicken paneer lately. Butter chicken always sounds and even looks good but there's never a veggie version of it in any restaurant I've been in. 

Saag paneer is fantastic as well. 

Have you tried mutter paneer, mushrooms and peas in with the paneer, chilli and garlic to taste.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

If you had vegan and/or vegetarian friends at your house for a meal would you make 'normal' food for yourself and other guests?

Can always do a buffet to suit everybody.

11 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

Have you tried mutter paneer, mushrooms and peas in with the paneer, chilli and garlic to taste.

Can always do a buffet to suit everybody.

I could quite easily ditch meat from my diet but would struggle to abstain from seafood. 

Friday is actually my favourite day of the week food-wise... :rolleyes:

8 minutes ago, Angusfifer said:

I could quite easily ditch meat from my diet but would struggle to abstain from seafood. 

Friday is actually my favourite day of the week food-wise... :rolleyes:

Got a few mates like that, I'm more a meat man (fnarr fnarr), we get some fantastic fresh fish from a van, I love my dyed smoked haddock (bread crumbed and shallow fried) but I'm not very experimental with sea food much to my shame. I smoke salmon for the missus (not a euphemism), its pretty easy but I don't dig it myself, would love to be more into fush though.

8 minutes ago, Derek Patterson said:

For those who enjoy paneer in  a curry, give halloumi a try.

Bit firmer and imo soaks up the flavour better.

Especially good when you marinade the chunks in spices for a few hours before you cook it.

+1 for halloumi, especially in mushrooms, not tried marinading it though, cheers.

7 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

+1 for halloumi, especially in mushrooms, not tried marinading it though, cheers.

I just used tandoori powder stuff.

Chop the halloumi into chunks, bit of oil on them and then fire the powder on and put them on skewers with onions, cherry tomatoes, peppers etc.

Stick it in the fridge for an hour or so then straight in the oven.

Made kebabs that way the other week which turned out tremendous.

Had previously just fried in a pan but reckon the skewers & in the oven works better.

20 minutes ago, Derek Patterson said:

Chop the halloumi into chunks, bit of oil on them and then fire the powder on and put them on skewers with onions, cherry tomatoes, peppers etc.

Had previously just fried in a pan but reckon the skewers & in the oven works better.

I fancy making a tandoor, my brother in law has made one, good for the bread too. 

41 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Looks like a good project for next year. Cannot whack a bread straight out the tandoor.

Its definitely on the 'to do' list. Saying that, I'm full of good ideas, just lazy about getting off my arse and carrying out said ideas.

For those who enjoy paneer in  a curry, give halloumi a try.
Bit firmer and imo soaks up the flavour better.
Especially good when you marinade the chunks in spices for a few hours before you cook it.

Might give it a go one day but I don’t know if I’d be too keen on the saltines of halloumi in a curry. Big fan of halloumi though, I had it with my baked tattie tonight actually.

Mushrooms is one of the few foods I just can’t eat, never have done. I’ve always ‘tried’ to like them but the last straw was having a huge slice of a large mushroom on a burger from a pub, tried a bit and nearly spewed my load. :lol:

That sounds pretty good actually. I’ve fried paneer with garlic and a bit of chilli powder the last few times I’ve made a curry, don’t know if it’s making much difference at all but I’d like to think it makes the paneer itself taste better!

44 minutes ago, smpar said:

That sounds pretty good actually. I’ve fried paneer with garlic and a bit of chilli powder the last few times I’ve made a curry, don’t know if it’s making much difference at all but I’d like to think it makes the paneer itself taste better!

Paneer can be good but think there's a knack to doing it right.

Have had it from a few Indian gaffs where they've just sliced it up and chucked it in with no effort.

Only a couple of places where they've actually bothered to season it properly and cook it so that it doesn't go too soft.

Might also work on the skewers in the over for a bit before you chuck it in the pan.

24 minutes ago, supermik said:

I would love to be a vegetarian but unfortunately somebody on high decided to make chicken skin so friggin tasty that it is almost a fight to the death in my house as to who gets it!!

On 11/15/2017 at 00:47, Rowan said:

I learnt recently that vegans don’t eat honey. Wasn’t something I’d thought of but it’s because it’s product of bees work. 

I like meat too much.

Same with Soy Sauce as it has Aspergillus sojae (mold species).

I was like, u wot?

I consider an aubergine curry or an aloo gobi to be normal. One time I made them a separate aubergine parmegiana with vegan cheese and another with normal cheese cause it worked numbers wise. Christ I had 2 vegans and 1 vegetarian over that night, next time I'll just make a round of bacon rolls and if they don't like it they can f**k off or something.

That's another thing I've noticed really, is that so many people don't even realise they're eating vegetarian food in a day, or even longer. I wonder how many folk had, for example, a bowl of cereal for breakfast, tomato soup for lunch and pizza and chips for their dinner.. and tell vegetarians it must be really difficult to eat nothing but vegetables all the time.

7 hours ago, smpar said:

That's another thing I've noticed really, is that so many people don't even realise they're eating vegetarian food in a day, or even longer. I wonder how many folk had, for example, a bowl of cereal for breakfast, tomato soup for lunch and pizza and chips for their dinner.. and tell vegetarians it must be really difficult to eat nothing but vegetables all the time.

I fall into that category some days, maybe easier being married to a veggie but there are days (sometimes a few) where I don't eat meat and its jut not an issue. I know what you're on about though, I know people who find it impossible that you can have a dinner/tea without meat and Her Maj gets the questions like "what, not even chicken ?" which amazes me, being a veggie now isn't exactly the 'freak show' that it was.

Archived