Danny Lennon's Clyde vincibles vs East Fife

Bully Wee Villa

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The defeat today had nothing to do with formations and the like, whatever your opinion of what we should do longer term. We had enough chances to win the game and the goals we lost were not down to playing a back  four or not playing a back three. On another day, the ball rebounds in off Gormley after the goalkeeper spills, or Gormley's shot finds the net instead of being blocked. Or Cuddihy's well hit volley finds a corner rather than the goalie's midriff. Not withstanding the number of scrambles inside the six yard box that were just spirited away at the last second. 
It's only one game obviously but it looks to me like Lennon is going to have us playing with lots of width, putting plenty of crosses into the box and that'll he'll stick with the 442 in the near future. Not a fan of that myself but it's going to require the opposite wide player getting into the box more often than happened today. Probably need Fergie to get fit and we'll put Duffie back to right-back.
What will he have learnt from that performance? Gormley, I thought, was okay given he's still coming back from a long lay-off, and he links up with Goodwillie far better than Osolador. Wright offers nothing and Lamont has done far more in his brief substitute appearances than he has in numerous starts. Breslin isn't remotely good enough and needs moved on. All of those errors and mistakes just add up to goals against eventually. Nicoll (first half) and Cuddihy (second half) had good games and weren't over-run at all, but neither of their natural instinct is to hit the ball longer to a wide player, which meant that Lowdon in particular rarely got the ball with space. We probably should have brought Ramsay on sooner, around the point where Nicoll stopped winning the ball and started running into people.
I thought McNIff's challenge, following a poor bit of play by Home, was a foul and probably a yellow but the red seemed harsh. Nicoll could easily have gone earlier on though, so it cancels out I suppose even if we'll miss McNiff for two games. I also thought Dunsmore was lucky that referees generally  only give a booking for a shove in the chest. It wasn't like he was pushing Osolador away from the ball or anything. All in keeping with what was a diabolically inconsistent performance from one of those referees who always seems to guess decisions more than he actually sees them.
How bad was Jim Chapman by the way? We've not won a game since he went, we're still not a great team, but we're much better than we were.

David Nicol was excellent miles better than your golden boy cuddhiy who is a total imposter hides in midfield appears for a brief periods
Have no doubt Lennon will ditch him
Ramsay did more in as a sub than he did whole game , that's the last game
Breslin will play for us Gormley he won't be there after Xmas he is so overweight and he missed two sitters (nothing new there) Listening to Lennon post match he knows we need a striker to support DGW
All in all the last three weeks have been good to watch no we didn't win but it's great to be back enjoying watching your team again

And too think I got stick because I said we should have ditched Chapman after Edinburgh game [emoji16]

1 minute ago, cfcuk said:

David Nicol was excellent miles better than your golden boy cuddhiy who is a total imposter hides in midfield appears for a brief periods

Maybe if he needlessly fouled people, gave the ball away constantly whilst not even trying challenging passes, and got tired after 50 minutes leading to a wild tackle where he could have received a second yellow, then he'd be more noticeable?

Saying Cuddihy hides in a game is nothing short of stupidity. He was absolutely everywhere in that second half today.

Clyde started off really good after the first half an hour or so I thought to myself no way will we not win this, East Fife took their chances that’s all it came down to.. end of the day it was two average teams on the park Fife won’t stay in playoffs.. Goodwillie was a class above but as BWL said don’t think he had a shot on target.. I’m sure once Lennon & Moore bring in their own players we will see quality.. thought Lowdon and Duffie had really good games and Nicol stepped up 

Maybe if he needlessly fouled people, gave the ball away constantly whilst not even trying challenging passes, and got tired after 50 minutes leading to a wild tackle where he could have received a second yellow, then he'd be more noticeable?
Saying Cuddihy hides in a game is nothing short of stupidity. He was absolutely everywhere in that second half today.

Nicol was miles better than cuddhiy
For you to say he was everywhere is an absolute joke Im sure Lennon will see right through this imposter but you keep telling everyone how good he is , if you say something enough it might become a fact [emoji23]

I am of the same opinion as cfcuk, that is the last 2 games  you would hardly know Cuddihy was even on the pitch, bit of a passenger if you ask me. Nicol, imo has been excellent the past 2 games, he is the one aggressive player who gets in the oppositions face and win more tackles than anybody else in the middle of the park, something every team needs. If Cuddihey was everywhere in the second half then i never noticed him. If i had a choice of a Nicol or a Cuddihy, i'm sorry but Nicol would win hands down.

I am of the same opinion as cfcuk, that is the last 2 games  you would hardly know Cuddihy was even on the pitch, bit of a passenger if you ask me. Nicol, imo has been excellent the past 2 games, he is the one aggressive player who gets in the oppositions face and win more tackles than anybody else in the middle of the park, something every team needs. If Cuddihey was everywhere in the second half then i never noticed him. If i had a choice of a Nicol or a Cuddihy, i'm sorry but Nicol would win hands down.

Oh well that's two stupid Clyde fans [emoji6]

13 minutes ago, cfcuk said:

Nicol was miles better than cuddhiy
For you to say he was everywhere is an absolute joke Im sure Lennon will see right through this imposter but you keep telling everyone how good he is , if you say something enough it might become a fact emoji23.png

This will no doubt go the way of such classics as "Explain why a CIC is bad", "Why would Trouten be a bad signing" and "Currie being at fault for goals v stirling" but could you explain how you came to the conclusion that he hid?

Not whether you thought he played well but why you think he was hiding.

Yeah but does Nicol close down passing channels tm championship manager 2017

Nicoll was very good today. To deny that would make me question your judgement.

I would disagree with Lennon if he really did feel that the quality of crosses into the box was good today. They weren't!

Cuddihy was "alright". Not good and not bad. Same as he ever was.

3 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

Nicoll was very good today. To deny that would make me question your judgement.

I would disagree with Lennon if he really did feel that the quality of crosses into the box was good today. They weren't!

Cuddihy was "alright". Not good and not bad. Same as he ever was.

I didn't say Nicoll wasn't good. In fact I said he was. He was excellent first half but got worse as the second progressed, partly as that's what he does, partly as he was injured.

I think people seem to think that I think Cuddihy has been outstanding because I have to defend him. He's a 7 out 10 every week. Doesn't give away free kicks, or possession and can cover ground for 90 minutes. For that he'll always be picked by managers. He absolutely doesn't hide though.

I didn't say Nicoll wasn't good. In fact I said he was. He was excellent first half but got worse as the second progressed, partly as that's what he does, partly as he was injured.
I think people seem to think that I think Cuddihy has been outstanding because I have to defend him. He's a 7 out 10 every week. Doesn't give away free kicks, or possession and can cover ground for 90 minutes. For that he'll always be picked by managers. He absolutely doesn't hide though.

Doesnt give away free kicks or possession code for does nothing
Covers ground? About 10 yards each side of half way line.

This will no doubt go the way of such classics as "Explain why a CIC is bad", "Why would Trouten be a bad signing" and "Currie being at fault for goals v stirling" but could you explain how you came to the conclusion that he hid?
Not whether you thought he played well but why you think he was hiding.

Ok he sits in midfield doesn't tackle goes missing for long periods of the game doesn't attempt to get into box
Now your going to tell me that's not his role he is the exactly the same as McLaughlin wanders about the midfield being totally ineffectual

Thought we were unlucky today, but in the end it came down to finishing. East Fife took their chances, we didn't. 

It was good to see us trying to build the play rather than hump the ball forward. We did that well on the right and I thought Duffie did reasonably well. We didn't offer enough on the other side. I felt Lowden was largely anonymous for long spells although he isnt long back and is perhaps playing a role he isn't that familiar with. Nicol had an excellent 60 minutes.  After his mad swipe (which lucky for him missed), Lennon told him right away that he was coming off. Some of Goodwillie's play is a joy to watch. His run in the first half (he should have scored) was superb and his nutmeg on the EF player was a total piss take. His attitude is unbelievable. He fights for everything. 

Can I ask why there was no programme this afternoon? Clyde are renowned for their quality  programmes and I was looking forward to this one given the fact that these were two clubs with a genuine Scottish Cup pedigree going head to head. An ideal opportunity to indulge in some nostalgia...

1 minute ago, Angusfifer said:

Can I ask why there was no programme this afternoon? Clyde are renowned for their quality  programmes and I was looking forward to this one given the fact that this was two clubs with a genuine Scottish Cup pedigree going head to head...

I was wondering the same. As you say, our programme is always very good so why not one of the cup ? Disappointing . 

Archived