Danny Lennon's Clyde vincibles vs East Fife

Bully Wee Villa

Revert to 4-4-2, end up needing three goals to win. Nothing new there. And what a great advertisement this was for 3-5-2; the shape we should've kept and should keep until we source some new players. I'm just going to keep saying this until people cease to think 'so-and-so is wasted there' or 'we've got too much attacking quality for that'. Anyone wanting a 4-4-2 with those players filling it out wants something which all the evidence weighs against the efficacy of. We should happily sacrifice ('waste') players on the alter of the team doing well.

For as well as the midfield competed in the first forty-five, there was no prospect of it doing it for ninety minutes. More importantly, it expended all its energy competing; the result of which was a forward-line cut off from any support once it'd done the job of holding play up. With Ramsay in beside Nicoll and Cuddihy, filling the void between the forwards and everyone else, we would've stood a far better chance of scoring. Connectedly, you wouldn't have Jack Breslin on the park. Stick Duffy, McNiff and Home in a three, with Wright and Stewart or Lowden either side and you've instantly got more defensive security. Three big lads to head it back into midfield and less space for East Fife to exploit by fact of crowding-up the park.

Sure, it's always more difficult without Munro. But make no mistake: East Fife are little better, if any, than Stirling or Stenny. We could've won that with different tactics.

I agree with a lot of what you say but it's difficult for the midfield to support the forwards when, as usual, Gormley continuously fails to hold the ball but would rather fall over.

I thought once again that Nicholl was our man of the match.

Is McNiff missing next week bearing in mind that this was a cup game?

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Encouraging performance again; the Chapman team would have been hammered today. That said poor goals lost as ever, first one terrible initially from Breslin then Duffie refuses to close the boy down, who hit a decent shot in the end, but should never had had the room to hit it. Game turned on Gormley chance in second half after brilliant work from Goodwillie.

Second again cheap, perhaps obvious loss of Munro would have made a difference with that one as the boy seemed to have a free header.

Goodwillie as ever fantastic effort and obvious ability are a joy to watch, his nutmeg in first half was a peach! Nicol first time I can say I've seen him play well.  We are obviously still 4 obvious players away from improvement.

Breslin as we all know and I'm sure Lennon will have seen enough already, fingers crossed that is his last game. Duffie, who ironically had perhaps one of his better games is still simply not good enough. Gormley of course is Gormley, had one of his usual poor games. Smart of course came on and if anything was even worse!

This will take the new manager some time of course to sort out, but hopefully it's pretty clear wher we need to improve.

Decent performance. Night and day watching the same players that Chapman managed, they look more organised and can actually play some decent stuff at times. 2 bad goals to lose today and quite a few wasted opportunities but to be honest we never got a single break of the ball in their box all day. The McNiff sending off was a total joke, 2 players going for a 50/50 with the EF guy shitting his pants and backing out at the last minute but according to the ref winning the ball when the other guy jumps out the road is a straight red but raising your hands and pushing someone to the ground is only a yellow, not that it would have made any difference to the outcome but jeezo the standard of refereeing in this country is dreadful.

A far closer game than the scoreline suggests. I think Danny Lennon will do well at Clyde - he had them well organised and certainly competing well for a side in the lower reaches of the Second Division.

The difference between the sides was probably the quality of the defending. And yes, I would also agree that the sending off was harsh...

Definitely wasn’t our day today. Think Lennon made a mistake playing a back four today and whilst his hands were tied somewhat, it’s always a mistake playing Breslin. We missed a few good chances each half and Goodwillie had his boots on the wrong feet. East Fife’s second goal killed the tie. Never a red card and East Fife should have had a man sent off at the end. Still, it’ll give the new gaffer a better of his players and the task ahead of him.
I understand East Fife had a few injuries today so well played and all the best in the next round.

The sending off was the same scenario as the one that got Kyle Wilkie sent off, so think it was justified, but I do agree with you that Dunsmore should have walked as well for his reaction. Don't think it would have affected the outcome though.

would like to see sending off again Clyde player was a little slow getting to the ball 

The Clyde player (McNiff) got to the ball long before any contact was made. I don't think you can call that slow.

The East Fife player then ran into the "tackle" after the ball was played.

Dreadful decision.

Revert to 4-4-2, end up needing three goals to win. Nothing new there. And what a great advertisement this was for 3-5-2; the shape we should've kept and should keep until we source some new players. I'm just going to keep saying this until people cease to think 'so-and-so is wasted there' or 'we've got too much attacking quality for that'. Anyone wanting a 4-4-2 with those players filling it out wants something which all the evidence weighs against the efficacy of. We should happily sacrifice ('waste') players on the alter of the team doing well.

For as well as the midfield competed in the first forty-five, there was no prospect of it doing it for ninety minutes. More importantly, it expended all its energy competing; the result of which was a forward-line cut off from any support once it'd done the job of holding play up. With Ramsay in beside Nicoll and Cuddihy, filling the void between the forwards and everyone else, we would've stood a far better chance of scoring. Connectedly, you wouldn't have Jack Breslin on the park. Stick Duffy, McNiff and Home in a three, with Wright and Stewart or Lowden either side and you've instantly got more defensive security. Three big lads to head it back into midfield and less space for East Fife to exploit by fact of crowding-up the park.

Sure, it's always more difficult without Munro. But make no mistake: East Fife are little better, if any, than Stirling or Stenny. We could've won that with different tactics.

Good post until the snide wee comment at the end!!!
We put a team out with 6 first team regulars, one of which was a guy playing his first game after a three game suspension, two guys making their first starts after long term injuries, assorted squad players and wee boys and a goalkeeper who hasn't played since the League Cup was on and you know what??? Even with your guys obviously raising their game against the big boys from the higher Division, we still beat you!!!
But hey, in the words of the song Don't stop believing!!!

Just watched the incident back & IMO it was not a red card but it looks bad as both players miss the ball, McNiff's momentum then takes him into Reilly. From the refs angle it probably looked like McNiff just took Reilly out!
Will be sending Clyde copy of clip to help them decide if they want to appeal.
Have say I thought Goodwillie & Gormley were excellent, both should be playing at a higher level

Just watched the incident back & IMO it was not a red card but it looks bad as both players miss the ball, McNiff's momentum then takes him into Reilly. From the refs angle it probably looked like McNiff just took Reilly out!
Will be sending Clyde copy of clip to help them decide if they want to appeal.
Have say I thought Goodwillie & Gormley were excellent, both should be playing at a higher level

Having only seen the incident at the match, I was certain McNiff played the ball. It will be interesting to see it again.

I still think it was a harsh decision

However

"It was a 50 - 50"

and

"Playing the ball"

are no defence if the referee deems the challenge as either dangerous or reckless. I don't think many spectators are aware of this.

As I said, I thought the ref got this decision wrong on initial viewing, but I've yet to see it replayed...  

The defeat today had nothing to do with formations and the like, whatever your opinion of what we should do longer term. We had enough chances to win the game and the goals we lost were not down to playing a back  four or not playing a back three. On another day, the ball rebounds in off Gormley after the goalkeeper spills, or Gormley's shot finds the net instead of being blocked. Or Cuddihy's well hit volley finds a corner rather than the goalie's midriff. Not withstanding the number of scrambles inside the six yard box that were just spirited away at the last second. 

It's only one game obviously but it looks to me like Lennon is going to have us playing with lots of width, putting plenty of crosses into the box and that'll he'll stick with the 442 in the near future. Not a fan of that myself but it's going to require the opposite wide player getting into the box more often than happened today. Probably need Fergie to get fit and we'll put Duffie back to right-back.

What will he have learnt from that performance? Gormley, I thought, was okay given he's still coming back from a long lay-off, and he links up with Goodwillie far better than Osolador. Wright offers nothing and Lamont has done far more in his brief substitute appearances than he has in numerous starts. Breslin isn't remotely good enough and needs moved on. All of those errors and mistakes just add up to goals against eventually. Nicoll (first half) and Cuddihy (second half) had good games and weren't over-run at all, but neither of their natural instinct is to hit the ball longer to a wide player, which meant that Lowdon in particular rarely got the ball with space. We probably should have brought Ramsay on sooner, around the point where Nicoll stopped winning the ball and started running into people.

I thought McNIff's challenge, following a poor bit of play by Home, was a foul and probably a yellow but the red seemed harsh. Nicoll could easily have gone earlier on though, so it cancels out I suppose even if we'll miss McNiff for two games. I also thought Dunsmore was lucky that referees generally  only give a booking for a shove in the chest. It wasn't like he was pushing Osolador away from the ball or anything. All in keeping with what was a diabolically inconsistent performance from one of those referees who always seems to guess decisions more than he actually sees them.

How bad was Jim Chapman by the way? We've not won a game since he went, we're still not a great team, but we're much better than we were.

35 minutes ago, east fife for life said:

Clyde are shit! Can't even beat a makeshift East Fife side tells it's on story! Pleasing. Still no word from Jamesy lawd either, hope he's ok! I would laugh but Raith fucked my coupon today...

Are you Jamesy Lawd ? it’s all you seem to talk about.. he isn’t a Clyde supporter.

Are you Jamesy Lawd ? it’s all you seem to talk about.. he isn’t a Clyde supporter.

Nah, I just remember his name from our time in same league and I'm genuinely worried about him as clearly he has special needs. For someone who isn't a Clyde supporter he certainly seems very passionate about Clyde. Enjoy the relegation battle with Cowdenbeath. [emoji482]

Archived