CHEATING REFEREE

Bestsinceslicebread

Cheating is a strong word and can I say it in regards to this matter, Oh i certainly can although no refereee's name is mentioned.

As a youth coach in the past, I travel about matches of different leagues to see the standard of football being played.  This weekend I took in an under 21 game and a u17s and u19s game then last weekend I was in Falkirk to watch a league match at u19s  and then I went to Clydebank to watch Paisley Teams play.  I need to state this was prob the worst case of cheating by a referee but not in favour of one Paisley teame, no, they didn’t do anything wrong it was, I learned after, in retribution by the referee because the other paisley team put in a compliant about the referee the year previously.  Let me just say, I was totally impartial to the game and such a shame an evenly contested game was ruined by the vengeful referee, whom I haven’t named by the way  lollllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

During the game the away team had 3 players sent off in this game, and get this, there wasn’t ONE bad tackle made, just a couple of 50/50 meaty challenges I may add lolllllllllllllllll   The referee sent off the away left back in 2 minutes, as the ball went out clearly for an away shy and the referee gave the shy to the home side and the away player said “f**k”, not looking at the referee, not in his direction but just at the shy. To make it clear, most boys are 18 to 17 and there was quite a few swearing being used by both sets already at the start of the match But the referee sent the lad off.  Then later in the first half, he booked their captain, who won a free kick and as he went to get up to take the free kick, the home player kicked the ball away and the captain said and I quote “ref he kicked the ball away”. The referee said, “don’t talk to me like that" and preceded to book the captain”.  Think there was a few bookings again but I never heard what was shouted by the players of each team but sure the cards came out.  The away manager was sent off, allegedly swearing at the referee but again, he did not although swearing was used but not in his direction and referee knew it.

During half time, another away official spoke to the referee in the centre circle, quite calmly at first but then it seemed to get heated and the official came off at the side and said the referee said to her “yeah, don’t think I haven’t forgot you reported me in the last game”.  However I cannot confirm this as I never heard the referee say it I just heard the away committee person say what he said.  During the second half the captain went in for a challenge and was elbowed by the home player on the chest, (just a reaction, so wasn’t meant), but the captain felt it hard and the captain shouted to the referee “jesus referee, didn’t you see that”.  The referee gave him, what  thought was a straight red but I never saw the yellow card lifted but I may have missed it. The captain came off the park, visibly upset at the decision of the referee . The home side won 3.2 at the end and on the final whistle the referee sent off another away player, I was leaving venue so just seen the red card being flashed.

What worries me is the referee, if this is his attitude to destroy a game which both home and away teams were just two teams fighting to win, then this referee should not be officiating at any level of football.  If this is true that a complaint was made by the team against the referee in past then the referee should not be allowed to take charge of a game involving the away side, ever.  i do not know what the district league rules are regarding complaints against referees but it should be taken into consideration as i saw innocent boys punished by a referee because a complaint went in against him the previous year.

The problem, unless the district Youth league come out officially and say anything on the matter but I don’t expect they will as they know they need referees, all kinds and don’t want to ban a referee incase the league run out of referees.   I genuinely believe the Home team management would want to back up the away management and players but they wont want to, ( n don't blame them), as they prob feel the league and referees would be against them also.  I expect the away making another complaint against the referee if so then the league should be honest and ask the views of the home team management without prejudiced. 

I have been totally sicked by the performance by the referee 

This will prob depress me more but if any viewers have suffered at a bad referee who was deliberately against your team in a worst situation that this then do share but don't mention referees name.

hopefully this post hasn't fallen foul of any broken rules although it is strong worded lollllllllllllll

On 11/14/2017 at 08:17, Northboy said:

It's very 'honourable' of you not to name the referee but by clearly stating the date and match you've effectively identified him/her anyway.

I'm sorry I haven't identified him as I dont know his name and not interested to be honest.

But when I read your reply northboy, I never though others would look to see who he was lollll. 
I will take the date out and league out, its the least i can do  :thumsup2

I wasn't part of the home or away party, I was a neutral spectator who ended up being disguised by what i saw
I have seen referees in most youth leagues, even up in Aberdeenshire and really i general most are good, we all make bad decisions now and then but never have i seen anything like this.

I can understand if players where sent off as the park was very bumpy and making tackles look mistimed but there was not one bad tackle that I remember, just good, honest hard football.

I will add that on the referee's side, the referee on the first sending off asked the manager to ask one of the public on his side to leave the venue as he was remonstrating quite aggressively. The referee was right though in this and the manager asked him to leave.  I will say the referee wasn't blatant at giving decisions against the away, there was a few stone waller decisions that went to the home team but should have went the other way but the same was on the other side. if the referee is caught on the wrong side, then hes caught on the wrong side and still has to make decisions.

If it is true that a complaint against the referee was put in last year and he was give the same team then this is wrong. It puts the team in an awkward situation and also, believe it or not, puts the referee in an awkward situation.  It should not have happened

Let's get 1 thing clear. Regardless of anything happened in the past referees are supposed to turn up and ref a game on its merit as a neutral. But recently on talk sport radio, a well known former ref actually said" refs check team sheets before the game to see which players give them a bit of a hard time, and actually ref the game according,ie, early booking to certain players, to make the game better for themselves". Refs are only human and instinct is, if a player has given a ref a hard time in a previous game, then 99% of the time the ref is "getting his own back" booking or red card the next game he gets them. Anybody involved in football knows what goes on. That's not a dig at refs, we know it's only instinct or payback. Sometimes ruins games as in this case.

On ‎17‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 10:36, Afc01 said:

Let's get 1 thing clear. Regardless of anything happened in the past referees are supposed to turn up and ref a game on its merit as a neutral. But recently on talk sport radio, a well known former ref actually said" refs check team sheets before the game to see which players give them a bit of a hard time, and actually ref the game according,ie, early booking to certain players, to make the game better for themselves". Refs are only human and instinct is, if a player has given a ref a hard time in a previous game, then 99% of the time the ref is "getting his own back" booking or red card the next game he gets them. Anybody involved in football knows what goes on. That's not a dig at refs, we know it's only instinct or payback. Sometimes ruins games as in this case.

I'm in two minds on this. I certainly don't want referees targeting specific players but I would expect any referee to prepare for and manage the game based on experience as long as the game is refereed fairly.

On 11/17/2017 at 10:36, Afc01 said:

I agree with Afc01, it does happen that referees will know about certain lads and maybe take it out on them for the past en devours.
Although my above post is a completely different incident, I have did my digging and of the three boys sent off, two, including the captain, weren't with the team last year so the referee has never seen the two as both played in the Lanarkshire league previously so he would have sent of any away team player for any reason.  The referee was only interested in retribution against the team, not any specific player.

9 hours ago, Northboy said:

I'm in two minds on this. I certainly don't want referees targeting specific players but I would expect any referee to prepare for and manage the game based on experience as long as the game is refereed fairly.

Agreed Northboy, as long as its refereed fairly. Nothing wrong thinking "oh I'm refereeing those two teams and they will have that player who is dirty".
The referee should be aware of it but only take action is the player breaks the rules.

• 5 months later...
On 13/11/2017 at 15:51, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Cheating is a strong word and can I say it in regards to this matter, Oh i certainly can although no refereee's name is mentioned.

As a youth coach in the past, I travel about matches of different leagues to see the standard of football being played.  This weekend I took in an under 21 game and a u17s and u19s game then last weekend I was in Falkirk to watch a league match at u19s  and then I went to Clydebank to watch Paisley Teams play.  I need to state this was prob the worst case of cheating by a referee but not in favour of one Paisley teame, no, they didn’t do anything wrong it was, I learned after, in retribution by the referee because the other paisley team put in a compliant about the referee the year previously.  Let me just say, I was totally impartial to the game and such a shame an evenly contested game was ruined by the vengeful referee, whom I haven’t named by the way  lollllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

During the game the away team had 3 players sent off in this game, and get this, there wasn’t ONE bad tackle made, just a couple of 50/50 meaty challenges I may add lolllllllllllllllll   The referee sent off the away left back in 2 minutes, as the ball went out clearly for an away shy and the referee gave the shy to the home side and the away player said “f**k”, not looking at the referee, not in his direction but just at the shy. To make it clear, most boys are 18 to 17 and there was quite a few swearing being used by both sets already at the start of the match But the referee sent the lad off.  Then later in the first half, he booked their captain, who won a free kick and as he went to get up to take the free kick, the home player kicked the ball away and the captain said and I quote “ref he kicked the ball away”. The referee said, “don’t talk to me like that" and preceded to book the captain”.  Think there was a few bookings again but I never heard what was shouted by the players of each team but sure the cards came out.  The away manager was sent off, allegedly swearing at the referee but again, he did not although swearing was used but not in his direction and referee knew it.

During half time, another away official spoke to the referee in the centre circle, quite calmly at first but then it seemed to get heated and the official came off at the side and said the referee said to her “yeah, don’t think I haven’t forgot you reported me in the last game”.  However I cannot confirm this as I never heard the referee say it I just heard the away committee person say what he said.  During the second half the captain went in for a challenge and was elbowed by the home player on the chest, (just a reaction, so wasn’t meant), but the captain felt it hard and the captain shouted to the referee “jesus referee, didn’t you see that”.  The referee gave him, what  thought was a straight red but I never saw the yellow card lifted but I may have missed it. The captain came off the park, visibly upset at the decision of the referee . The home side won 3.2 at the end and on the final whistle the referee sent off another away player, I was leaving venue so just seen the red card being flashed.

What worries me is the referee, if this is his attitude to destroy a game which both home and away teams were just two teams fighting to win, then this referee should not be officiating at any level of football.  If this is true that a complaint was made by the team against the referee in past then the referee should not be allowed to take charge of a game involving the away side, ever.  i do not know what the district league rules are regarding complaints against referees but it should be taken into consideration as i saw innocent boys punished by a referee because a complaint went in against him the previous year.

The problem, unless the district Youth league come out officially and say anything on the matter but I don’t expect they will as they know they need referees, all kinds and don’t want to ban a referee incase the league run out of referees.   I genuinely believe the Home team management would want to back up the away management and players but they wont want to, ( n don't blame them), as they prob feel the league and referees would be against them also.  I expect the away making another complaint against the referee if so then the league should be honest and ask the views of the home team management without prejudiced. 

I have been totally sicked by the performance by the referee 

This will prob depress me more but if any viewers have suffered at a bad referee who was deliberately against your team in a worst situation that this then do share but don't mention referees name.

hopefully this post hasn't fallen foul of any broken rules although it is strong worded lollllllllllllll

I was one of the players in this game and was sent off after the game, I said to him as politely as possible as I knew he would easily send me off if I used vulgar language “excuse me mate, am not here to argue but how was that second one a red card, he didn’t swear” but because I put my arm on his shoulder when I was speaking to him he sent me off.

Archived