The Famous Aberdeen FC vs The Less Famous Motherwell FC

Really found out big time yesterday. The highlights on Red Tv made it look like we were actually in the game!

I’m really not sure where we’ll end up this season if we have more games like that.

Been said many times in this thread, but the difference in Motherwell since this time last year is incredible.

Think they have a great chance next week, and wish them all the best.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tansey and O'Connor are, I fear, bottom six players. Unfortunately, we probably need at least one of them to play at the moment due simply to a lack of obviously better options. If we don't play Shinnie at left-back, then we offer very little offensively down our left side and the opposition targets Considine as a weak-link; if we don't play Shinnie in midfield, we are liable to lack urgency, presence and direction in the centre of the park.

Much like last season, O'Connor started promisingly at centre-back but his form has rapidly declined. I have now begrudgingly accepted that he just isn't a very good football player. The generous side of me is willing to give Tansey a little bit more time to try and find his feet as he's just back playing following an injury layoff, but he was just dire yesterday - his passing and control were appalling, and he was frankly fortunate to make it to half-time before being hooked.

With the greatest respect to Motherwell who thoroughly deserved their win yesterday, Derek McInnes expends far too much time and effort trying to 'read' the opposition without ever formulating & trusting his own tactics and players to do the job.

His abysmal attempts at 'reading' Celtic are there for everyone to see.

One of my co-workers says his wife was driving down to pick him up from the stadium (Course cars aren't allowed down the road at that time). And a woman steps out in front of her car to stop it, said women begins shouting at her and it devolves into a big shouting match. Next thing happens is someone starts hitting the back window of the car - whilst Shinnie's kid is inside. Shinnie comes running over and apparently the shouting got worse and the police by the stadium had to intervene

We’ve hardly kicked a ball this season, but are somehow still second.

Take Shinnie out and the lack of any heart, drive and identity in this side was even more evident.

Would have been nice to get an explanation from Mr “I don’t comment on speculation”, but for some reason he decided not to.

Good luck to Well next week - if anyone can stop Celtic right now it’s probably them - team of warriors, well organised with a great centre forward.

Probably because Mr "I don't comment on speculation" would jump at the Rangers job. We all know it and it is getting boring his lack of a denial and a lack of movement from the ****. Either get on with being there or get on with actually putting together a team with a discernible game plan

7 minutes ago, lewisnorthfield said:

One of my co-workers says his wife was driving down to pick him up from the stadium (Course cars aren't allowed down the road at that time). And a woman steps out in front of her car to stop it, said women begins shouting at her and it devolves into a big shouting match. Next thing happens is someone starts hitting the back window of the car - whilst Shinnie's kid is inside. Shinnie comes running over and apparently the shouting got worse and the police by the stadium had to intervene

Never happened, did it son?

I can confirm the first part as I walked past down Pittodrie Street as the rather rotund woman started making a scene. I almost intervened to tell rotund woman to calm down and wise up. Glad I thought better of it if it descended like that.

Well that was an anti climax

27 minutes ago, lewisnorthfield said:

Can't really see Shinnie featuring again for Aberdeen for a while after this horrific incident.

This is the beginning of the social unrest that regan warned of.

it sounds like downtown detroit in robocop.

13 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Losing at home to Motherwell is not what reminds me I'm a Dons' fan. Drawing at home with Arbroath, losing away to East Stirlingshire, blowing two goal leads on a regular basis, losing 4-1 away to Third Lanark who finished the season with 7 points (two points for a win back then), losing 2-1 at home to Ayr United (bottom of the Second Division at the time) in the Scottish Cup, getting skelped 6-2 at Pittodrie by Hibs, a week after losing 5-1 at East End Park...

Then there would be the 70s...

Awright Pops, perhaps we could have an anecdote about Zoltan Varga? Possibly Bobby Clark's hairdresser? :P

Seems like we were tactically outclassed. Shall we pump McInnes to the **** and take another Motherwell manager?

Nah, I think I'll stick with McInnes...he's got us out of worse. Plus...let's get McGinn back! Yaldy.

Moults second goal is an exceptional finish , the fact he even made contact with the cross is testament to his ability never mind execute a shot that gave  a very good goalkeeper no chance, the cross from cadden was a good cross, I think Moult mistimed his run a fraction and the ball was behind him when he made contact. I guess it's the kind of opportunity that might have been converted only 5% of the time.

Motherwell under Robinson have been and I guess most Well fans shall agree with me been the surprise package this season, he has recruited players to allow him to implement his philosophy and formation that he thought could achieve relative success for him.

The signing of Hartley has been a master stroke but retaining Moult's services has been paramount to Motherwell's progress, Robinson's metal will be tested again when Moult inevitably moves on at the end of the season if not prior to then, if Robinson recruits a replacement to successfully partner Bowman up top for Motherwell then they could become a regular top six outfit.

Guest Bob Mahelp
3 hours ago, happyaccie said:

Moults second goal is an exceptional finish , the fact he even made contact with the cross is testament to his ability never mind execute a shot that gave  a very good goalkeeper no chance, the cross from cadden was a good cross, I think Moult mistimed his run a fraction and the ball was behind him when he made contact. I guess it's the kind of opportunity that might have been converted only 5% of the time.

Motherwell under Robinson have been and I guess most Well fans shall agree with me been the surprise package this season, he has recruited players to allow him to implement his philosophy and formation that he thought could achieve relative success for him.

The signing of Hartley has been a master stroke but retaining Moult's services has been paramount to Motherwell's progress, Robinson's metal will be tested again when Moult inevitably moves on at the end of the season if not prior to then, if Robinson recruits a replacement to successfully partner Bowman up top for Motherwell then they could become a regular top six outfit.

With all respect, and not to piss on anyone's chips, it doesn't take all that much to be a 'regular top six outfit' in the SPL. An ability to grind out 4/5 points out of every 9 is usually good enough.

51 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

With all respect, and not to piss on anyone's chips, it doesn't take all that much to be a 'regular top six outfit' in the SPL. An ability to grind out 4/5 points out of every 9 is usually good enough.

Can't be that easy - half the league fail to do it every year :) 

Archived