The Famous Aberdeen FC vs The Less Famous Motherwell FC

8 hours ago, Illgresi said:

Ah well... it takes this sort of thing to remind us that we're Aberdeen fans.

Losing at home to Motherwell is not what reminds me I'm a Dons' fan. Drawing at home with Arbroath, losing away to East Stirlingshire, blowing two goal leads on a regular basis, losing 4-1 away to Third Lanark who finished the season with 7 points (two points for a win back then), losing 2-1 at home to Ayr United (bottom of the Second Division at the time) in the Scottish Cup, getting skelped 6-2 at Pittodrie by Hibs, a week after losing 5-1 at East End Park...

Then there would be the 70s...

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Surely a missed opportunity? Yet Milne would rather burn money on a half-baked idea to build a new stadium in the middle of nowhere.

Not sure Milne can take any blame here. He backed the manager in the summer as well as giving him a decent pay rise. He was willing to pay a decent amount for moult (in Scottish football relativity) and Motherwell made it clear that they wanted to keep him and would rather he see out his contract than make a quick buck. Not much more we could do.

I’m mcinnes’ biggest defender but he needs to sort this out. I always felt Motherwell would get at least a point yesterday, we simply aren’t functioning just now.

It was around this time last year people were starting to get restless about our inconsistent form but I always felt we’d come good as I had faith in the squad of players. I’m not sure I have the same faith in this lot. I never felt GMS was a great signing, I thought he was overrated at United and wasn’t at all surprised he failed at Celtic.

Tansey was never the answer, he’s an average midfielder but was never going to stand out. Christie is fantastic but he’s hit a dip in form, another player who it is really noticeable when he’s not at it.

I think May will come good, I’ve seen enough to suggest he will be eventually be great for us.

Stewart hasn’t been great. Arnason is fine, happy with him.

Also this mcinnes to rangers shit has to be concluded one way or the other, it’s becoming too big a distraction.

Finally before anyone calls me out, Motherwell were excellent yesterday and thoroughly deserved the win, probably more goals too.

25 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

We’re really getting quite good at this whole football thing eh?

Another comfortable 3 points as we strolled to yet another clean sheet with Carson barely having to make a save, all the while playing 3 new and different formations in the space of 90 mins.

Changed days from last season where we struggled to play any formation competently. Remarkable that Robinson’s already won more league games than McGhee managed to last season(he was sacked on the 28th February) and we’ve already racked up several more clean sheets than we did in the entirety of last season.

Some job Robinson’s doing like, some team.

Including Betfred games thats us on 9 clean sheets from 20 for the season which is wild. Even more so given the fact he's brought in 17 players during the summer and 20 left across senior and u20s squads (either transferred/loan expired/released/retired)

I was fannying around earlier looking at Robinson's league record since he's taken over from McGhee and as it stands he's taken almost 50% of points available to him. Considering this includes the games at the tail end of last season where he came in off the back of an aggregate against of 17-3 over the space of 4 games including 7-2 against yesterdays opponents and 5-1 against Dundee then it stacks up fairly well IMO.

Robinson:
League:

P 25 W 11 D 3 L 11 F 36 A 31 GD +5 Pts: 36/75 = 48%
PPG = 1.44
Win % = 44%
GPG: 1.44
GaPG: 1.24
Clean sheets: 7

This was an easy win for Motherwell.

Fully deserved.

As easy a win I've seen at Pittodrie whether talking about the home or away team.

McInnes tactics were fucking laughable. Well come here with a set up that he didn't reckon on. So he's flummoxed. Incapable to adapt. Result. The game is lost before it started in earnest.

Lucky not to be 3 down in the first 15 minutes.

Wouldn't bother me at all if he went to Sevco.  It is entirely possible we could do better.
100% not happening though. Guaranteed.  Happy to field questions on this. 

Interesting reading the comments about Tansey but perhaps not surprising given he'd had about 3 good games in the last 18 months at ICT prior to joining Aberdeen. Not really sure what McInnes was seeing in him tbh.

We’ve hardly kicked a ball this season, but are somehow still second.

Take Shinnie out and the lack of any heart, drive and identity in this side was even more evident.

Would have been nice to get an explanation from Mr “I don’t comment on speculation”, but for some reason he decided not to.

Good luck to Well next week - if anyone can stop Celtic right now it’s probably them - team of warriors, well organised with a great centre forward.

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

Including Betfred games thats us on 9 clean sheets from 20 for the season which is wild. Even more so given the fact he's brought in 17 players during the summer and 20 left across senior and u20s squads (either transferred/loan expired/released/retired)

I was fannying around earlier looking at Robinson's league record since he's taken over from McGhee and as it stands he's taken almost 50% of points available to him. Considering this includes the games at the tail end of last season where he came in off the back of an aggregate against of 17-3 over the space of 4 games including 7-2 against yesterdays opponents and 5-1 against Dundee then it stacks up fairly well IMO.

Robinson:
League:

PPG = 1.44
Win % = 44%

Aye it’s been some turnaround in such a short space of time.

Think the most pleasing aspect about yesterday’s performance was how we approached the game. On the back of 2 defeats and a shambolic 1st half against County a few people were beginning to ask questions- had we been worked out, were we too one dimensional, predictable etc.

For Robinson to answer this by going away from home to the 2nd best team in the country and taking the game to them with a completely different set up was fantastic to see. Imagine most people expected us to be a bit cautious after that 1st half display in Dingwall but to start with a 3 pronged attack with Cadden in behind the strikers and take the game to Aberdeen from the first whistle took some balls and seemed to take  everyone including Mcinnes by surprise.

To then get the 2nd early doors in the 2nd half, bring on Frear and seamlessly switch to 4-1-4-1 with McHugh sitting in front of the back 4 to see the game out with ease was tremendous management. Probably could have went looking for more goals but given our last 2 results, as well as our next 3 games all being against Celtic, took the sensible decision to shut up shop knowing full well we had the players to see it through comfortably.

Was unsure about Robinson even after he kept us up, he said all the right things about signing the right players and the right characters etc this summer but we’ve heard all that before. However whilst the Dons fans scratch their head at McInnes scattergun signing policy this summer, Robinson did actually seem to go out with a plan in mind of the type of players he needed and signed players he knew would be able and willing to help him implement his ideas. 

The squad he’s built is that strong at the minute that good players like Hammell and Bigirimana couldn’t even make the bench yesterday. 

So aye, some job.

Interesting reading the comments about Tansey but perhaps not surprising given he'd had about 3 good games in the last 18 months at ICT prior to joining Aberdeen. Not really sure what McInnes was seeing in him tbh.

The Tansey we first tried to sign in January 2015 looked like a decent Premiership midfielder. After that deal fell through (due to ICT refusing to answer the phone or emails on deadline day after Aberdeen agreed to pay them the release fee - according to McInnes), his form gradually declined.

I think everyone assumed he had downed tools for ICT after that transfer window. But it seems not. He was really poor yesterday but he wasn’t alone.

Robinson:
League:
PPG = 1.44
Win % = 44%

Hopefully he does enough to convince the unconvinced on here that he's good for that contract extension he got.

There can't be many in the unconvinced category now surely? I would argue that if someone is unconvinced at this point then there is nothing that any manager that we are capable of attracting could do to convince them. Robinson, like absolutely everyone at our level will get things wrong but if you look at what has been asked of him so far, there can't be much debate.

It's a fact that he kept us up with an utterly broken squad, he revamped said squad to an obviously high standard in one window, he has delivered the long wished for cup run and he has us comfortably in the top half of the table. To move away from the purely factual, he has put a team out that is easy to get behind and  has made it actual fun to go to the football again - which really wasn't the case for the past couple of years. Lastly, in his attitude (see the way he dealt with the build-up to and aftermath of the Rangers semi), he has (without being arrogant about it) washed away a lot of the inferiority complex that our club tends to have, even when we've had a good team. 

This isn't meant as a hagiography in any way - but it's difficult to know what more we can realistically expect at this stage.

Guest Bob Mahelp
2 hours ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Might as well be. It’ll be a nightmare to get to and back from. Don’t fancy waiting over an hour outside at this time of year just to get back from a game.

Have you tried getting from Pittodrie to the A90 roundabout at Kincorth after a game ?

17 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Have you tried getting from Pittodrie to the A90 roundabout at Kincorth after a game ?

I've tried getting across that roundabout most days, but I'm in my car and not waiting outside for a shuttle bus. I've said an hour at Westhill but it's likely to much longer.

15 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd String said:

Public transport is ok. There are three different bus services out to Westhill.

For goodness sake, do you realise the frequency of these buses? And they aren't just for football fans.

X17, the most frequent, is every 12 mins. So from 1700 until 1800, there will be five buses! Then for the next hour every 15 mins.

So how many fans will get transported even if all buses are empty? 

The Tansey we first tried to sign in January 2015 looked like a decent Premiership midfielder. After that deal fell through (due to ICT refusing to answer the phone or emails on deadline day after Aberdeen agreed to pay them the release fee - according to McInnes), his form gradually declined.

I think everyone assumed he had downed tools for ICT after that transfer window. But it seems not. He was really poor yesterday but he wasn’t alone.

I drove past him at pittodrie that day. He was walking out to his car and had an aberdeen top on. I didn't know who he was at that point until the news came out later that caley were playing funny buggers.
Anyway, well done Motherwell. Seems like we were out fought and outplayed. It's worrying how much we rely on shinnie.
We really, really need a centre mid who wont be bullied and can make a pass.

Archived