The Famous Aberdeen FC vs The Less Famous Motherwell FC

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Moult is a terrific player, and obviously the best striker in the league outside of Celtic. We should really have pushed the boat out for him in the summer. Any chance we had of landing him is well and truly gone now. 

Glad you didn't, but why didn't you? Lack of money or lack of conviction in the managers choices?

2 minutes ago, ropy said:

Glad you didn't, but why didn't you? Lack of money or lack of conviction in the managers choices?

I'm not sure. We were linked to May before Moult, and I can only assume the club believed that May represented better value.

Then again, as good as Moult is, I suspect even he would have looked poor in our team today. 

16 minutes ago, ropy said:

10 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

I'm not sure. We were linked to May before Moult, and I can only assume the club believed that May represented better value.

Then again, as good as Moult is, I suspect even he would have looked poor in our team today. 

At a guess I'd say the price we were quoting would have meant Paul Bernard level mentalness. Both Robinson and Burrows have said that Aberdeen's offer was "nowhere near" what we wanted which seemed to be somewhere around £750k with Aberdeen offering £300k (possibly in instalments). Which for a player in the last year of his contract would put teams off. In fact I think Burrows mentioned on the MFC Podcast that the Aberdeen offer was the only official bid they received. They had the option to get Stevie May in for less than half of what we were after for Moult and as has been pointed out May was the original target anyway.

What's more I'm pretty Burrows said in the same interview they'd been tipped off early in the window that there was a fair good chance that Marvin Johnson would be leaving Oxford so we'd be seeing a wedge of cash coming in from that so we were reasonably confident that they could sit and wait to see if anyone made a serious offer, which they never did.

25 minutes ago, Romeo said:

Vomit inducing stuff from the sheep.

We'll done Motherwell, please beat Celtic.

Because we can't do that.

Fannies.

You're just jealous because nobody outside your own filthy hovels has ever wished Celtic well in a tournament, ever.

Missed the game unfortunately due to work. Haven't bothered reading the thread, but regardless I'll give my opinion.

Having checked the goals it looks like the first was schoolboy defending across the board. Arnason should probably put his hands up for that one, given he's the 'elder statesman', and should be in charge of those situations.

The second looks clearly down to McInnes imo. McKenna at left back....? As opposed to Considine at left back? So the thought process was...'McKenna's a little bit faster than Considine, so we'll stick McKenna at left back (and hang him out to dry)'. Safe Andy can comfortably be marking absolutely no one, anywhere, at all. Can anyone see an issue here?

I've been saying it for at least a year and a half. Considine is not good enough for us at left back, he's not good enough for us at centre back, and our manager wants to shoe horn him into the team if at all possible. He must be amazing in training, cos he's given f**k all on the pitch since his hat trick at Dundee.

Disappointing given the spoon burners and the wife beating, goat fucking wallopers lost also.

Ah well... it takes this sort of thing to remind us that we're Aberdeen fans.

Before a full on rant about Aberdeen, Motherwell thoroughly deserved to win and tbh it could and should have been more. Easily deserved it. Moult and Cadden are some bois like. Enjoy them while you have them as both will likely go higher in the game. In Cadden's case hopefully as Scotland needs everything we can get quality wise round the squad.

Aberdeen, just the same shite as Fir Park in the League Cup. McInnes fails to learn lessons shocker. The manager lined up with a poor team that didn't have enough battling players and it sunk without a fight again. Didn't change the personnel early enough and spent the whole game thumping long balls at Kipre and Hartley. And he needs to leave Christie playing behind the striker, just nowhere near as effective out wide. Laughably bad tactics. Robinson has one thing over McInnes, he makes quick changes and I would say is a better in game manager. As for Considine going more centrally and hanging McKenna out to dry at left side, terrible. The summer signings are not working out either.

Normally I don't want to pick on individuals but I will do. O'Connor is nice guy but against the better teams gets shown up as too slow to be a midfielder and isn't a brilliant defender either. McLean struggled higher up the park and really needs to be firm about playing a bit deeper as he gives more there. May has been a real disappointment so far. I reserve some particularly harsh words for GMS and Tansey. Tansey firstly simply isn't good enough. Too slow with the ball at his feet, doesn't move the ball quick enough and gets caught far too often in possession. His set play deliveries are more often than not rotten. A poor replacement for Jack. GMS, well I don't quite know what to say. There must be some quality there somewhere but God knows where. He's got all the heart of a small pea, no battle and his crossing is dreadful. Too often on his runs he will flick and jink then produce nothing at all. Where Hayes for us more often than not made excellent choices with his style of crosses, GMS does not make good choices and floats too often rather than drilling. That Wright did more against Tate in the small time he had on than GMS did the whole game should sum up just how rotten GMS is.

Thankfully Rangers and Hibs have been every bit as rotten as we do not deserve to be second. It's a chore watching this team at the moment and my apathy towards them grows by the week.

Fair fucks Motherwell. Go and win the Cup next week.

23 minutes ago, BucksburnDandy said:

Before a full on rant about Aberdeen, Motherwell thoroughly deserved to win and tbh it could and should have been more. Easily deserved it. Moult and Cadden are some bois like. Enjoy them while you have them as both will likely go higher in the game. In Cadden's case hopefully as Scotland needs everything we can get quality wise round the squad.

Aberdeen, just the same shite as Fir Park in the League Cup. McInnes fails to learn lessons shocker. The manager lined up with a poor team that didn't have enough battling players and it sunk without a fight again. Didn't change the personnel early enough and spent the whole game thumping long balls at Kipre and Hartley. And he needs to leave Christie playing behind the striker, just nowhere near as effective out wide. Laughably bad tactics. Robinson has one thing over McInnes, he makes quick changes and I would say is a better in game manager. As for Considine going more centrally and hanging McKenna out to dry at left side, terrible. The summer signings are not working out either.

Normally I don't want to pick on individuals but I will do. O'Connor is nice guy but against the better teams gets shown up as too slow to be a midfielder and isn't a brilliant defender either. McLean struggled higher up the park and really needs to be firm about playing a bit deeper as he gives more there. May has been a real disappointment so far. I reserve some particularly harsh words for GMS and Tansey. Tansey firstly simply isn't good enough. Too slow with the ball at his feet, doesn't move the ball quick enough and gets caught far too often in possession. His set play deliveries are more often than not rotten. A poor replacement for Jack. GMS, well I don't quite know what to say. There must be some quality there somewhere but God knows where. He's got all the heart of a small pea, no battle and his crossing is dreadful. Too often on his runs he will flick and jink then produce nothing at all. Where Hayes for us more often than not made excellent choices with his style of crosses, GMS does not make good choices and floats too often rather than drilling. That Wright did more against Tate in the small time he had on than GMS did the whole game should sum up just how rotten GMS is.

Thankfully Rangers and Hibs have been every bit as rotten as we do not deserve to be second. It's a chore watching this team at the moment and my apathy towards them grows by the week.

As an opposition supporter, you never get to understand other teams too deeply - but after GMS being so clearly unsuited to playing in a physical battle (which was always going to be the case yesterday) - I was genuinely bemused (and quite pleased :) ) to see his name on the teamsheet. He was hooked after half an hour in the league cup game as he was a man down for Aberdeen - what is the thought process that thinks that he'll be suitable this time? 

As an opposition supporter, you never get to understand other teams too deeply - but after GMS being so clearly unsuited to playing in a physical battle (which was always going to be the case yesterday) - I was genuinely bemused (and quite pleased [emoji4] ) to see his name on the teamsheet. He was hooked after half an hour in the league cup game as he was a man down for Aberdeen - what is the thought process that thinks that he'll be suitable this time? 

Agree fully. I would love to ask McInnes truthfully

Interesting wee Twitter thread from Alan Burrows pointing out the Motherwell tactical approach yesterday and us starting with a back 4 and diamond. Tony Docherty mentioned it in is post match interviewing saying that Aberdeen were straight up caught out by it and they'd been preparing for us to play with a back 3.

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 hour ago, BucksburnDandy said:

Tansey was f*cking rank yesterday. His utter pishness broke up every single move we had in the first half and it was no surprise he was hooked at half time. 

When Christie is off the boil/marked out of the game we have absolutely NO attacking creativity.  Stewart has been a massive disappointment, GMS blows hot and (mostly) cold, and McInnes's traditional reluctance to give young players their head is shown in the fact that Scott Wright isn't getting enough game time. 

Throw in the fact that McLean takes no attacking responsibility together with Rooney's lack of mobility and it's no surprise that we're struggling big time at this moment. God knows how we're second.

We're still trying to

13 hours ago, DrewDon said:

Moult is a terrific player, and obviously the best striker in the league outside of Celtic. We should really have pushed the boat out for him in the summer. Any chance we had of landing him is well and truly gone now. 

Surely a missed opportunity? Yet Milne would rather burn money on a half-baked idea to build a new stadium in the middle of nowhere.

We’re really getting quite good at this whole football thing eh?

Another comfortable 3 points as we strolled to yet another clean sheet with Carson barely having to make a save, all the while playing 3 new and different formations in the space of 90 mins.

Changed days from last season where we struggled to play any formation competently. Remarkable that Robinson’s already won more league games than McGhee managed to last season(he was sacked on the 28th February) and we’ve already racked up several more clean sheets than we did in the entirety of last season.

Some job Robinson’s doing like, some team.

Archived