The Famous Aberdeen FC vs The Less Famous Motherwell FC

A warm welcome awaits The 2017/18 League Cup Winners after last weekends shan International break.

Need to get a win at home here, with hopefully a good performance, as a slip up could see us drop some places.

Deek will still be in charge, and I think Tansey might start.

2-0 Sheep.

Discuss.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With this being our final preparation for the Cup Final then we really could be doing with a good performance and result here. I hope and expect to see our strongest line up start the match, nothing less is acceptable and hopefully that'll be enough to get a point off these tight arsed, po-faced Doric chumps.

1-1 with Moult getting our goal.

Shinnie is suspended for this one, which will be an especially big loss considering how well he has been balancing the team at left-back. I can't see anything other than Considine being brought in as a straight swap. 

O'Connor did a good job on Moult in the 1-0 at Fir Park, so I'd stick with him in midfield despite not playing particularly well in recent weeks. I'd possibly like to see Wright in for Mackay-Steven, but I wouldn't be completely opposed to Rooney playing if May is going to be drifting wide and outside the box as often as he did in the Hamilton game - having said that, if we are only going to start one of them, I'd still much rather go for May. 

I also think 1-1 is a good bet. May and Moult swapping goals. 

I also think 1-1 is a good bet. May and Moult swapping goals. 

Hope I’m proved wrong this weekend, but I’m struggling to see where a Stevie May goal is going to come from. As you say, he was all over the place at Hamilton. We got one of two really good balls into the box, but our main striker wasn’t there. I’d start Rooney.

Oh, and strikers shouldn’t be taking the fucking corners.

7 hours ago, naegoodinthedark said:

Hope I’m proved wrong this weekend, but I’m struggling to see where a Stevie May goal is going to come from. As you say, he was all over the place at Hamilton. We got one of two really good balls into the box, but our main striker wasn’t there. I’d start Rooney.

Oh, and strikers shouldn’t be taking the fucking corners.

May's contributions outside the box have largely been valuable, and he is certainly a much better option than Rooney for linking up our attacks and bringing others into play: perhaps the best example of this being his role in the build-up to Christie's goal against Ross County. He is also providing some important contributions from wide areas, including his delivery for Arnason's goal against Hamilton. 

However, it is perhaps fair to say, considering that he has been playing as our 'main striker', that too much of his good play over the past few weeks has taken place outside the box. We already have evidence from his goals against Dundee and Kilmarnock that he is capable of doing the things expected of a 'penalty-box striker' - I think the main question is whether his tendency to roam is more instructed or instinctive. 

If I recall correctly, much of his best work at St Johnstone came when he was accompanied by a strike partner, so it might be an option to play both May and Rooney or May with Stewart occasionally playing through the middle. If McInnes is set on only playing one of May or Rooney, though, I would definitely stick with the former. 

Spot on Drew. I'd love him to be banging in the goals, but he's playing well and the team's been (largely) winning, so keep him in I say. Like you said, he could do with a partner to keep him pushed high up the park, but the problem is if Rooney partners him, he'll be the one loitering in the penalty box and May will be pushed deeper.  Stewart could be an option. 

Much as my expectations for the league cup final are pretty low - there is still a feeling of this game being one to get out of the way so that we can get on to the build up for that. That said, I think playing the 2nd best team away is decent preparation for playing the best team a week later and so I wouldn't like to see too much in the way of resting players (possibly Cadden and Campbell aside) or messing about with our approach as we have the full week to rest and prepare while Celtic are on CL duty.

We obviously both caught Aberdeen by surprise and put in an outstanding 90 min shift in the LC game but the Sunday game was more of a guide to how this will go I think - a narrow defeat here or scraping a draw at best would be my guess...

Going to this and only my second game this season .Saw us pumped by Celtic so i would be happy with an undeserved penalty win in last minute. I have no problem or issues with Motherwell or their fans as i know a few and all decent blokes.

So wish them good luck in the Final of league cup but will of course be giving em dogs in league game .Fans eh.

Enthusiasm abounding for this and you won't find it here either. Let's just get it done and over with.

Lewis; Logan, Arnason, McKenna, Considine; Tansey, O'Connor; Stewart, McLean, Christie; May.

Another 1-0 shitfest from us with Motherwell fans rightly not giving a toss as the cup final is next week and far more important than a humdrum league game.

Archived