Favourite Building in your home town/city

One of the many highlights of the North Fife Riviera is the random castle that someone decided to build among the normal houses in Newport on Tay.. I preferred it when it was a fairly standard castle-y grey colour but about 20 years ago someone had the idea to render it in bright yellow. It certainly stands out.

Supposedly the colour that many castles used to be, to stand out as a golden beacon of wealth and power, hence the horrible repainting of Stirling Castle in recent years to restore it's former appearance.

30 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Supposedly the colour that many castles used to be, to stand out as a golden beacon of wealth and power, hence the horrible repainting of Stirling Castle in recent years to restore it's former appearance.

I thought the yellow bit of Stirling Castle was when they rebuilt a hall in ten original style, and it was the freshly-cut sandstone that looked so yellowy?

2 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

big-buddha-singburi-thailand-80887259.jp

If Salmond had won the independence vote this was the statue of himself he wanted on the improved A90 he was having built from Holyrood to Strichen, In a straight line like the road above,

It was to be built at the Strichen end and the beacon to be installed at the top would be bright enough to be seen from Holyrood.

One advantage of the new straight A90 fro Holyrood to Strichen was the demolishing of large parts of Dundee and the removal of 27 Circles Roundabouts from existence.

Edited by MEADOWXI

I thought the yellow bit of Stirling Castle was when they rebuilt a hall in ten original style, and it was the freshly-cut sandstone that looked so yellowy?

Nah, they found a yellow/ochre-stained lime wash in places covering the duller rock. The only sandstone in the UK that's remotely yellow when cut is that from around Elgin, and that's more of a pale cream-buff colour that gets sent around the world these days (best local example is the 'new' extension to the National Museum on Chambers St).

3 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Nah, they found a yellow/ochre-stained lime wash in places covering the duller rock. The only sandstone in the UK that's remotely yellow when cut is that from around Elgin, and even that's not as yellow (see front of new extension to the National Museum on Chambers St).

Ach, that's what I get for listening to locals! Cheers though.

7 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

I remember people saying at the time it was meant to be restoring it to its original colour, and that it would fade with age. It's still a bit too yellow.

3 hours ago, Christophe said:

Slim pickings in Stenhousemuir, anything remotely interesting has long been bulldozed (the Stenhouse, the old Bellsdyke/RSNH asylum buildings etc.). So it's either the dour Dobbie Hall or i'll have this nearby effort....

IMG_4032.PNG

The Jason Lee building? 

6 hours ago, Christophe said:

Slim pickings in Stenhousemuir, anything remotely interesting has long been bulldozed (the Stenhouse, the old Bellsdyke/RSNH asylum buildings etc.). So it's either the dour Dobbie Hall or i'll have this nearby effort....

IMG_4032.PNG

I like that, it has character. Don't get me wrong, if I end up on Grand Designs, I'll not be going for a pineapple roof but yeah, I like that.