The Sons vs The Black and Whites

The Moonster

We were poor today.
We're not a team that can use possession. We don't have the guys who can take control of things and dictate the flow of the game. We're capable when we're pressing or when we're counter attacking but don't expect us to have a lot of possession and do something with it because we just don't have the players to do that. We had plenty of the ball and we had plenty of chances but our decision making was often poor and our shots were usually off target.
At 1-0 Elgin always had the chance to hit us on the break. It's arguable that they should have had the equaliser in the 2nd half and that it was the stand side post that bailed us out. A better team would have punished us, although with a bit of luck Elgin could have at least taken it to a replay.
As for off the field events, it's a frustration.
We need young fans to go to games. We've got an ageing fan base and if we don't get younger fans going to games then we're in serious trouble. People are entitled to follow the club however they see fit and some people will be uncomfortable being close to a drum. That said, we've got enough space in the ground that it shouldn't be an issue. If you're any more than 5 or 6 seats away from the drum then should your complaint really result in the confiscation of the drum? Not for me. There's a world of difference between being right next to a drum and having it maybe 20ft or more away.
The most disappointing thing is the way that it was dealt with. It was far too heavy-handed. There has to be a sensible compromise that can be made in those kinds of situation and clearly that didn't happen today.  If the drummer and the noisy fans are in the far side block of seats with a gap from the rest of the crowd then common sense has to come into play. Let people know where the area for the drummer/noisy folk will be and if it's causing an issue for some folk then offer them a move to another seat. We've got more than enough space to accommodate that. Make it known that the far side block of seats will be noisy and will have atmosphere and let people make the choice of sitting near them or moving a bit further away.
It's decisions like today's fiasco that will see new fans walk away from the game. Football support is changing and if we can't accommodate that change then younger fans may well simply wonder whats the point in following a game run by increasingly out of touch old men?

Nail. Heid.

I do hope the female steward took the booing in good humour and knew it was simply top bantz.

Frank Meade can suck my baws.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We got through. That's the important thing, but other than that there weren't many positives for us.

Referee awful and inconsistent throughout. Elgin would have deserved their equaliser if they'd scored when hitting the post. Albeit I think they came into it second half more down to our inadequacies than them forcing their way in.

Elgin are a decent side and it could've been very different had they got an equaliser. Good Luck to them for the rest of the season.

4 hours ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

Dumbarton's fifth win in a row in national cup competitions.

Which history book do we need?

The last time that happened was during a seven game winning streak in the Scottish cup on our way to the final in 1890/91. Seven is the club record and was also done in 1880/81. 

20 minutes ago, TAMCARSON1 said:

A decent draw in the 4rth round and we could potentially equal that record. We can beat the New Saints.

The next two rounds of the Scottish cup take place before we play TNS, so that is potentially the record breaker. But we obviously need two winnable ties beforehand.

52 minutes ago, microdave said:

The next two rounds of the Scottish cup take place before we play TNS, so that is potentially the record breaker. But we obviously need two winnable ties beforehand.

Wouldn't that also mean we had made the quarter finals of the Scottish? Or would that only put us in the last 16? Either way, what an achievement that would be over both competitions!

Wouldn't that also mean we had made the quarter finals of the Scottish? Or would that only put us in the last 16? Either way, what an achievement that would be over both competitions!

That would indeed put us in the quarter finals.

11 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Yes. 161 appearances into his career. He's came close a couple of times over the last few weeks too.

I'm sat here like a proud Da. He is the absolute man.

All he needed was that monkey off his back IMO. You know what they say about goals- you go 161 games without scoring and then the floodgates open. 

9 hours ago, microdave said:

The last time that happened was during a seven game winning streak in the Scottish cup on our way to the final in 1890/91. Seven is the club record and was also done in 1880/81. 

I see that run included a 9-1 victory v Hibs, 6-0 v Clydebank and 3-0 v Celtic!

With 3 of our better players not allowed to play in this we were always up against it. Sounds like we battled well and could've snuck a replay.

Absolutely, you were well in the game and the better team second half

5 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

All he needed was that monkey off his back IMO. You know what they say about goals- you go 161 games without scoring and then the floodgates open. 

He should've had a second late on too, but remembered that he was Stuart Carswell and ended up stuck in two minds between shooting and trying to turn the guy, and lost the ball.

Highlights up. We had more than enough chances to kill that game but allowed Elgin one too many for my liking. I think that's an incredibly harsh booking for Morrison too, it's not a dive.  Really, really wish big Mango had stuck that one away, picked the ball up on the edge of his own box - Hill pissing himself laughing after it is great to see too :lol:

That's a shocker from the ref with the Morrison decision.
I thought at the time the ref had made a right c**t of it but I was at the other end of the stadium so wanted to wait on the highlights.

We created more than I remember, the likes of Walsh and Roy may be inconsistent and lacking in certain departments but they are most definitely our most creative players going forward (outwith Froxy). If we could get someone onto the end of some of their balls into the box we'd be laughing.

God knows what Carswell is doing for that Elgin chance. A poor pass followed by some standing around which allows the Elgin player to burst through, thankfully the post was in the way.

Dat run from Barr though.
fec1fd991b4e76d7a217570b751f4fb0.gif

Archived