D.A.F.C v G.M.F.C 21/11/17

Some very harsh assessments of our players tonight. Aird was sharp and direct, he was quick to drive at their back line and was unlucky to slip just before getting a shot away. Although I agree his corners were pish.

Shiels is a very handy player to have in the team, he keeps everyone assured and is a great presence to have in the middle of the pitch, he also seems to be one of the few players we have who will open up the play at the first attempt. To say he’s not good enough for us just now is a lot of shite. Take a player like Shiels out of the team just now and f**k me would you notice it. My only criticism of him recently is his lack of urgency in moving forward.

I make that 8 goals in 11 appearances for Andy Ryan. Not a bad return for someone who’s normally coming off the bench. Took his goal well tonight and was unlucky not to have had another couple of clearer chances.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, smpar said:

Shiels is a very handy player to have in the team, he keeps everyone assured and is a great presence to have in the middle of the pitch, he also seems to be one of the few players we have who will open up the play at the first attempt. To say he’s not good enough for us just now is a lot of shite. Take a player like Shiels out of the team just now and f**k me would you notice it. My only criticism of him recently is his lack of urgency in moving forward

Totally agree. Shiels isn't rated because he doesn't run around like an idiot. It's the same with Nicky Clark.

Our fans being thick doesn't make them bad players though.

Surely I can't be the only one now bored to death with the tactical magician that is Allan Johnston? Since about the fourth game of the season other teams have found us out and packed the wings and midfield and he hasn't done a single thing to change the way we have played. Genuinely feeling a bit of apathy each Saturday now cos I already know what's gonna be served up on the pitch from us. 

12 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

Crowd of nearly 5k would have been incredible for Morton at home on a Tuesday night in November.... if there was actually anything near the numbers that were claimed in attendance tonight.

With the new ticketing system who knows. Spent 15 mins in queue behind a bunch of season ticket holders who's cards weren't working and got handed scan tickets.

System must be built on basis for old firm crowed counting, season ticket numbers plus who goes on the night, decent crowd but not 4816 watch out for the VAT man.

As for the game Dunfermline really missed Higginarse who is a thorn in most opponents sides and adds much needed dig.

Best Harkins performance but helped by how slow Wedderburn is but used his bulk well.

What was Oliver up to at the free kick, standing off side when the defence gave him loads of space to be in line with a clear run-in, good to see him scoring earlier.

Fate follows Russel, add that to the Dumbarton mess-up and the boy must wonder when it will all stop. At least Finnie gave him some leeway not sure if it was deliberate hand ball and didn't not wont not to take the line persons call so gave it outside the box some four yards from where it happened.

All in all a good draw for us even if it keeps the Arabs and Saints happy.

A match where neither side could be separated. A match which lacked much quality, IMO. 

We got a lucky break for the opener but I felt we had been playing OK up until then. After the goal, which was poor defending to allow Doyle so much space down the right, we got rocked and we were lucky with Murdoch getting away with a yellow and the free-kick being offside. 

Can't really comment on the handball incident as I was in the TV gantry and I couldn't really see it clearly enough to make a definitive judgement. 

Gaston didn't have much to do with our best chance coming through Aird but he slipped at the vital moment!

Thomson had a good header for the Ton too but in the end I think a draw was fair. 

https://jordanburtfootball.com/2017/11/22/pars-and-morton-share-the-spoils/

I completely agree with Jim Duffy, too. I felt Gary Oliver was great last night. He and Harkins ran the show. If Quitongo was fit, I think we have struggled badly yesterday evening. 

https://jordanburtfootball.com/2017/11/22/duffy-ecstatic-with-terrific-point/

In the first half we really struggled in defence, particularly when the ball was turned over quickly. Doyle and Russell were leaving far too much space behind them when supporting attacks (which was not their fault). Starting with Forbes and Harkins sitting behind Murdoch in a midfield three was never going to be effective. The goal we lost was especially poor; Murdoch was caught wrong side and a more experienced player would have fouled the player to stop the attack, O'Ware's starting position is dreadful and when the ball comes down his channel he gets beaten for pace far too easily, Russell makes an absolute Noel Hunt of the clearance (why he was trying to clear the ball infield is anyone's guess) and then we don't react quickly enough to the ball deflecting off of Sir Richard. 

I will give Duffy a limited amount of credit in that he made some minor tweaks to the shape, placing Murdoch behind Harkins and Forbes rather than in front of them and instructing the two wing back to be more cautious about leaving space behind them. Despite his tweaks, this doesn't come close to mitigating throwing the team into a 3-5-2 when it was quite obvious that we were not ready to deploy it in a competitive game. Once Dunfermline realised they couldn't attack us in the wide areas anymore, they tried to exploit the space between our back three and midfield three and it worked well. Had they had some better decision making in the final third they would have created a few more chances and probably would have (deservedly) won the match. If we're going to persist with 3-5-2 then we need a more energetic midfielder in alongside Murdoch and one of Forbes, Tidser and Harkins. 

Doyle had a decent game despite his obvious technical limitations, Sir Richard was outstanding as ever and I thought Gasparotto looked like a solid addition. Harkins and Forbes as a midfield pairing is criminally slow (even with someone like Murdoch alongside them) and the lack of understanding between Oliver and McHugh is becoming a concern. 

There are obvious limitations to the 3-5-2 that desperately need improved and I think we'll need to explore the loan market if we are going to use it successfully. I wouldn't be adverse to dropping Russell and playing a back four of Lamie, O'Ware, Gasparotto and Doyle against Falkirk. Although Russell has been marginally better than Doyle this season (last night aside), I'd rather wait until January and try and sign a new right back rather than trying to put O'Ware or someone similar out of position for the sake of it. Let's just hope that Doyle's performance last night will be the start of a decent run of form. 

Overall I'm content with a point. Once Dunfermline scored we really didn't look like we would get anything out of the game so it was excellent to get a goal and then manage to hold on.

Surely I can't be the only one now bored to death with the tactical magician that is Allan Johnston? Since about the fourth game of the season other teams have found us out and packed the wings and midfield and he hasn't done a single thing to change the way we have played. Genuinely feeling a bit of apathy each Saturday now cos I already know what's gonna be served up on the pitch from us. 

Nope. Been this way for a long time. In League One it was simply that no one could cope with it. Now, we've still no plan B and the manager has left the squad unbalanced as f**k. We'll struggle to finish top 4 if we don't change things up.

Ahhh big Gav. Still trailing both our wingers for league goals :1eye.

Sick of AJ's tactics to be honest. Can't we try 4-1-3-2 or something with nat defensive mid and shiels in the position where has had a fairly successful career?

I like how we've only won 1 game in 6 in the league and fans are now suddenly realising how light our squad is, worrying we're not creating or taking many changes, lack pace and energy in the midfield, are tactically inflexible and not good enough to win the league.
Some of our fans are absolute fucking zoomers.

FTFY

22 hours ago, BrianWake said:

In the first half we really struggled in defence, particularly when the ball was turned over quickly. Doyle and Russell were leaving far too much space behind them when supporting attacks (which was not their fault). Starting with Forbes and Harkins sitting behind Murdoch in a midfield three was never going to be effective. The goal we lost was especially poor; Murdoch was caught wrong side and a more experienced player would have fouled the player to stop the attack, O'Ware's starting position is dreadful and when the ball comes down his channel he gets beaten for pace far too easily, Russell makes an absolute Noel Hunt of the clearance (why he was trying to clear the ball infield is anyone's guess) and then we don't react quickly enough to the ball deflecting off of Sir Richard. 

I will give Duffy a limited amount of credit in that he made some minor tweaks to the shape, placing Murdoch behind Harkins and Forbes rather than in front of them and instructing the two wing back to be more cautious about leaving space behind them. Despite his tweaks, this doesn't come close to mitigating throwing the team into a 3-5-2 when it was quite obvious that we were not ready to deploy it in a competitive game. Once Dunfermline realised they couldn't attack us in the wide areas anymore, they tried to exploit the space between our back three and midfield three and it worked well. Had they had some better decision making in the final third they would have created a few more chances and probably would have (deservedly) won the match. If we're going to persist with 3-5-2 then we need a more energetic midfielder in alongside Murdoch and one of Forbes, Tidser and Harkins. 

Doyle had a decent game despite his obvious technical limitations, Sir Richard was outstanding as ever and I thought Gasparotto looked like a solid addition. Harkins and Forbes as a midfield pairing is criminally slow (even with someone like Murdoch alongside them) and the lack of understanding between Oliver and McHugh is becoming a concern. 

There are obvious limitations to the 3-5-2 that desperately need improved and I think we'll need to explore the loan market if we are going to use it successfully. I wouldn't be adverse to dropping Russell and playing a back four of Lamie, O'Ware, Gasparotto and Doyle against Falkirk. Although Russell has been marginally better than Doyle this season (last night aside), I'd rather wait until January and try and sign a new right back rather than trying to put O'Ware or someone similar out of position for the sake of it. Let's just hope that Doyle's performance last night will be the start of a decent run of form. 

Overall I'm content with a point. Once Dunfermline scored we really didn't look like we would get anything out of the game so it was excellent to get a goal and then manage to hold on.

The last thing this forum needs is yet another plagiarising sock puppet.

Did you actually think we were going to be good enough to win the league?

Me personally? No. But after making a good start and beating Inverness, St Mirren and Livingston fairly comfortably a good few people were thinking we would be contenders. I think we should be in the play offs but I worry we're going to fall just short.

6 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Me personally? No. But after making a good start and beating Inverness, St Mirren and Livingston fairly comfortably a good few people were thinking we would be contenders. I think we should be in the play offs but I worry we're going to fall just short.

In that case you can't really cite 'not being good enough to win the league' as a negativity. We never were. 

Archived