Montrose v Queens

Northfield 53

41 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I've no idea how to link to it but the two main chances of the game (both for us, Lyle failing to make contact with an open goal in 5 mins and Fergusson knocking it over from 5 yards in the 90th) are included at the 13 min mark on the full round highlights which are in the first post on page 19 of the Scottish Cup thread on this forum.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Fergusson miss isn't actually as bad as first described.  Whilst it's clearly a bad miss it's certainly not Iwelumo-esque, the ball is behind him meaning he is always going to get under the ball.

Given the respective experience and goalscoring prowess of the two I would say Lyle's miss is far worse.  It was mentioned elsewhere he thought he might be offside.  Surely it's better to stick it in and be given offside than to not make an attempt for it at all?

25 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

The Fergusson miss isn't actually as bad as first described.  Whilst it's clearly a bad miss it's certainly not Iwelumo-esque, the ball is behind him meaning he is always going to get under the ball.

Given the respective experience and goalscoring prowess of the two I would say Lyle's miss is far worse.  It was mentioned elsewhere he thought he might be offside.  Surely it's better to stick it in and be given offside than to not make an attempt for it at all?

Yep the Fergusson one looked an absolute sitter at the time, and it was still a very very good chance, but it is a little behind him and the keeper is diving in front of him so he has to lift it, whether voluntarily or otherwise. I still don't know how Lyle fails to make contact with his. It looks like he might initially be offside but when the defender darts to the near post to meet Dobbie he's well onside at that point. I think by then he just doesn't think it's coming and momentarily switches off.

Archived