Rovers 0-2 Alloa

It was pretty clear we were playing to instructions not to get caught on the ball on a difficult pitch. We were direct and long ball which is not our normal game but can,t argue with the result.Four wins in a row has transformed our season and hopefully we can just look up now.Thought big Neil really commanded his area which makes life so much easier for the defence.Another great three points and a wee cup tie next week to look forward to.

2 hours ago, Kobe2010 said:

It was pretty clear we were playing to instructions not to get caught on the ball on a difficult pitch. We were direct and long ball which is not our normal game but can,t argue with the result.Four wins in a row has transformed our season and hopefully we can just look up now.Thought big Neil really commanded his area which makes life so much easier for the defence.Another great three points and a wee cup tie next week to look forward to.

was going to ask if you normally punted the ball as far as you could - never seen a team play like that for a while.  You scored a good goal - no.7 was good. sat in. easy peasy. fluky 2nd ... 'Big' Neil is an understatement ! >  jeso I'd pay big  cash for that  kind of result these days. Amazing how we've went from near the top to the abyss in 4 weeks.  :( 

Funny; we're  now in the position that a lot of folk seemed to think we'd be in at the start of the season. I don't think anyone saw this little run coming. Does Jim get the credit for our change in fortunes, or is it just down to players like Andy Graham returning to the side?

17 minutes ago, teekasule said:

Amazing how we've went from near the top to the abyss in 4 weeks. 

and vice versa for alloa, not a great game and the pitch looked rough !

i never thought i would see it but fleming was excellent , great distribution and so well suited to that position.

we kept rovers goal machine at bay and was a good team effort all round Felt sorry for the rovers keeper  :whistle , capped it all off with a curry at the crown jewels in bank street ...happy days indeed !

48 minutes ago, teekasule said:

was going to ask if you normally punted the ball as far as you could - never seen a team play like that for a while.  You scored a good goal - no.7 was good. sat in. easy peasy. fluky 2nd ... 'Big' Neil is an understatement ! >  jeso I'd pay big  cash for that  kind of result these days. Amazing how we've went from near the top to the abyss in 4 weeks.  :( 

No,thankfully we dont play like that as a rule.Our back four were playing together for the fourth game in a row due to injuries to two main defenders and we have won all four conceding only one goal.In my opinion a big part of our turnaround is down to all the back four being comfortable on the ball.The midfield has been getting plenty passes to feet allowing them to dictate and create more instead of the ball flying over their heads all day.Quite a few Alloa posters have wondered how we would fare at the back if put under a bit more pressure,myself included,but that got answered today.Rovers played the nicer football,Alloa won the game,horses for courses.

6 minutes ago, KierenAAFC said:

Aye, saw him taking the game in with Calum Waters. Good to see them still about.

Jordan I could honestly see coming back on loan. Biggest news today for me was Darryl Meggatt who's had a really serious injury. Sucks when youre self employed. Hope he recovers fast. 

2 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Funny; we're  now in the position that a lot of folk seemed to think we'd be in at the start of the season. I don't think anyone saw this little run coming. Does Jim get the credit for our change in fortunes, or is it just down to players like Andy Graham returning to the side?

I like Jim. Glad we've had the turn up in form but I feel like this is just a recovery to where we should have been from the first quarter. A lot like Gordon Strachan's unbeaten in the last 7 or how many it was. The proof of the pudding will be in the eating. (Top 4 come the end of the season.) Anything less would be a failure.

My prediction is still Ayr #1 Raith #2 Arbroath#3 then ourselves but think that would be an excellent result for the season as a whole and playoffs is just a lottery that you can't judge.

Think jim got his tactics spot on yesterday, i think the plan was to play it long because i don’t feel we’ve been doing that recently, especially on a pitch that wasnt great.

Fleming tremendous again, found his position

Would be great to see jordan back on loan, after we get rid of some of the wages being wasted.

12 hours ago, Kobe2010 said:

Quite a few Alloa posters have wondered how we would fare at the back if put under a bit more pressure,myself included,but that got answered today.

To an extent I think. It was encouraging to see us stand firm under a reasonable amount of pressure and pick up the clean sheet. I did think Rovers were quite wasteful in front of goal at times though.

Started the game well, and got the opener almost right away from an excellent finish by Flannigan. Crossan hit the post/bar not long after which would have put us into a really commanding position. As mentioned up against it for much of the second half but pleasing that we saw it out. For the 2nd goal Rovers keeper had already rode his luck moments before, where Renton capitalised on his error but just couldn't knock the ball past the last man. Good for him to get a goal though- didn't understand the lack of celebration although admittedly goal  wasn't of the vintage variety.

With Ayr and Raith coming next, we'll need to play better than we did yesterday to take points in those games. But great to be in a position where we can try and perhaps mount a challenge to these teams again.

Given the tactics we appear to have employed and that we were under the cosh a bit second half, a bit surprised Renton didn't come on for Malcolm a bit earlier?

I think so, i dont think malcolm did an awful lot 2nd half, could have maybe brought him on for pj instead of putting cook on.

I think Cook came on for PJ because of his better defensive awareness. After the substitution we virtually camped in our box. At that point I was getting concerned as Homer who up till then was playing very deep started to probe for openings. We held out but I don't fancy that approach as a tactic against the likes of Raith or Ayr.

3 hours ago, fruitbowl said:

I think Cook came on for PJ because of his better defensive awareness. After the substitution we virtually camped in our box. At that point I was getting concerned as Homer who up till then was playing very deep started to probe for openings. We held out but I don't fancy that approach as a tactic against the likes of Raith or Ayr.

Yep, spot on. Holmes had a greater influence as the game wore on and we sat deeper. I always thought we looked the more dangerous in final third but there were occasions where we may have been punished. To be fair, we did sit deep against Raith on the opening day with success. But would carry a lot of risk.

On 11/11/2017 at 22:02, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I think Jim has been very fortunate in recent weeks. Taggs at CB, Robbo at RB and Fleming in DM wouldn't have happened but for injuries - the manager stumbled on a winning formula really - and had East Fife not gifted us the win in the first game with that team (having outplayed us in the first half) they probably wouldn't have stayed in those positions. We have been fortunate since then to have had a run of games against rubbish/out of form teams. I remain unconvinced about some of these switches long term. But 12 points from 12 is an excellent return. An average of 14/15 each quarter should secure a play-off spot and if we manage that come May then fair play to Jim.

I think Jim has been very fortunate in recent weeks. Taggs at CB, Robbo at RB and Fleming in DM wouldn't have happened but for injuries - the manager stumbled on a winning formula really - and had East Fife not gifted us the win in the first game with that team (having outplayed us in the first half) they probably wouldn't have stayed in those positions. We have been fortunate since then to have had a run of games against rubbish/out of form teams. I remain unconvinced about some of these switches long term. But 12 points from 12 is an excellent return. An average of 14/15 each quarter should secure a play-off spot and if we manage that come May then fair play to Jim.

Would say fortunate is a little harsh, Fleming was a good move as i wouldn’t say he was forced into moving him back to DM, he could’ve quite easily kept him further up the park. Do agree that if East Fife hadn’t gifted us the win then we may not have done as well as we have in the last few games as confidence has been much higher after that win.

We’re on a run of good form and its important that we keep it going with three tough games coming up in the league.

Archived