Airdrie v Stranraer - match thread

2 hours ago, goodwin said:

The 4-3-3 of sorts was presumably meant to include Furtado attacking from wide but it was a struggle. oddly he did better attacking from the left after he'd been moved to a more central role.  Fry is a cracking player when the ball is played to feet, as is Allen, but  Fry was kicked all over the park and the midfield and wide players (Stewart and  Furtado) provided very little for the small front men

Thought the defence coped very well after a shaky first 20 mins. Maybe the younger players are settling in, if it's permissible to be optimistic here?

We've got to be optimistic regarding the players and manager as the biggest issues are off the park.

Is there enough finishing ability in the team?    Willis has 3 goals in 9 games.  How much do we predict he'll have at the season's end?   Maybe 12-15?    Willis so far has 1 in 3 and though he is a bit of a unit,  does he look prolific?   Last year Ryan scored 23 in 32 games, so was scoring at a higher clip.    My only downside re Willis playing as the CF is that we are using his physical presence to leave him isolated and hit it long to him.

Fry has no goals in 10 games so far.  What will he bag for us?   Nice player but is he creating chances and will he ever get more than 2 or 3?

I'm not sure what Allan's ceiling or floor is and I'm not even sure of his position.   Is he a no. 10 like Fry?   It's unlikely he's a winger or CF tbh.   Very good player technically though,   his finish to set up Willis's goal at Ayr showed much promise.

Conroy has 4 in his 11 games,  he's gonna get a few from penalties but how many will he get over the season?   History tells us he'll get 4 or 5 from open play.

Stewart has 3 in 13 and he does make chances for himself and others.   Could he get 10?   I'd say there's a chance if he stays  fit and plays further forward.

Luke Watt has none in his 10 games so far and doesn't strike me as being prolific from midfield.

And young Hastie has 1 goal in about 7 or 8 starts,  he's another who may get 4 or 5 but I'm not sure he'll bag much more.   He looked electric to start the season but has regressed since the sending off.

Tierney and Cammy Russell both scored a few goals earlier in the season but have been on rations ever since.  Both look like good finishers but if they're not getting a chance.   Brown may come back into the team shortly,  he made the bench on Saturday, but is he good for goals?  He got 4 in 29(+7) last season,  can we realistically tag him for any more than 2 or 3?

Stevie really needs a finisher in the team, but are there enough goals from midfield and wide areas?    The zeros next to Fry and Watt's names are already a warning sign.    We're scoring less than last season (1.38 goals per game compared to 1.69 last season) whilst we're conceding at almost the same clip of 1.86 goals per game (1.83 last season).    

We clearly have issues at both sides of the park.   What can be done on the field to rectify that?   Could going 343 in a Spurs/Chelsea formation help?   Tighten up a bit at the back,  only have Stewart and McDonald as the width,  with Cairns and Watt protecting the defence and McIntosh bolstering McGregor and Brownlie?   Get Conroy and Fry/Allan closer to Willis to get better quality in the final 3rd?   

1 hour ago, touchedbymadness said:

And young Hastie has 1 goal in about 7 or 8 starts,  he's another who may get 4 or 5 but I'm not sure he'll bag much more.   He looked electric to start the season but has regressed since the sending off.

Is he the boy that came on for Allan on Saturday?  Whoever it was seemed to make a difference - as well as allowing Furtado to move in from wide, he injected a bit more energy and directness into the play, even making and winning tackles.  The rest of the team seemed to react to his example.

2 hours ago, stuartcraig said:

Is he the boy that came on for Allan on Saturday?  Whoever it was seemed to make a difference - as well as allowing Furtado to move in from wide, he injected a bit more energy and directness into the play, even making and winning tackles.  The rest of the team seemed to react to his example.

yes he was; he likes to be direct, with mixed results

Wouldn’t let furtado or Allan carry these twos boot bags [emoji815]️286ebc707706d32315faa1dc392636d7.jpg

Archived