Airdrie v Stranraer - match thread

A win's a win

the much maligned mcdonald maintained a foothold in the game for us and for me was MoM. After we scored Watt, Fry and Conroy  eased their way into the game and Furtado's rumbustious style starting having effect. For all their possession Stranraer posed little threat on goal and overall I thought that our defence and goalie did well. Stewart had an awful game by his standards

1 minute ago, goodwin said:

A win's a win

the much maligned mcdonald maintained a foothold in the game for us and for me was MoM. After we scored Watt, Fry and Conroy  eased their way into the game and Furtado's rumbustious style starting having effect. For all their possession Stranraer posed little threat on goal and overall I thought that our defence and goalie did well. Stewart had an awful game by his standards

Furtado became significantly more effective after Allan went off and he moved to a more central attacking role.

Also, don't know if it was a coincidence but the players seemed to find a bit of urgency after the crowd reacted to some particularly half hearted play around the Stranraer 18 yd box.   It seemed to give them a kick up the arse and the first goal came a couple of minutes later.

Maybe it reminded them the crowd was there because it had been pretty muted up until that point.

Furtado became significantly more effective after Allan went off and he moved to a more central attacking role.

Exactly.
Hear folk saying that Furtado should be used in midfield.
Airdrie are more direct with him up top. He wins balls and keeps the ball. He drops to collect and allows others to run on. Defences don’t know how to deal with him. His best position for us by a long way.
I don’t get the Allan thing. Completely ineffective up front, lightweight and in the back pockets of the Stranraer defence until hooked.

I don’t get the Allan thing. Completely ineffective up front, lightweight and in the back pockets of the Stranraer defence until hooked.

Ineffective when the ball is being punted up to him. Given the ball at his feet in and around the area and he can play. If we're going to use him but insist on punts and crosses there needs to be someone alongside him. If we're going with 1 central striker and it's him then they need to play to his strengths otherwise it's pointless.

What was more concerning for me yesterday was the number of times the team switched off having conceded free kicks. Fucking schoolboy stuff.

The 4-3-3 of sorts was presumably meant to include Furtado attacking from wide but it was a struggle. oddly he did better attacking from the left after he'd been moved to a more central role.  Fry is a cracking player when the ball is played to feet, as is Allen, but  Fry was kicked all over the park and the midfield and wide players (Stewart and  Furtado) provided very little for the small front men

Thought the defence coped very well after a shaky first 20 mins. Maybe the younger players are settling in, if it's permissible to be optimistic here?

Archived