Alex Salmond show on Russia Today

Colkitto

Just now, glassnahalf said:

Can I ask what is the criteria for this, honest question!

That's what makes it a bit dubious as it's all very subjective. Only interesting thing for me is that North Korea usually don't finish last. Eritrea usually gets that honour, but how do you differentiate something like that?

1 hour ago, Ad Lib said:

Not all killing is wrong, but deliberate killing of political opponents and journalists purely because they criticise your regime is bad. Glad we’ve cleared that up.

Ok to fight pens and cameras with rockets and bombs if you disagree with their politics in another country though.

Edited by welshbairn

26 minutes ago, glassnahalf said:

Can I ask what is the criteria for this, honest question!

As far as I can tell, they use a mixture of hard data and questionnaires from journalists in each country. Their criteria are:

1 / Pluralism 

Measures the degree to which opinions are represented in the media.

2/ Media independence 

Measures the degree to which the media are able to function independently of sources of political, governmental, business and religious power and influence.

3/ Environment and self-censorship 

Analyses the environment in which news and information providers operate.

4/ Legislative framework 

Measures the impact of the legislative framework governing news and information activities.

5/ Transparency 

Measures the transparency of the institutions and procedures that affect the production of news and information.

6/ Infrastructure 

Measures the quality of the infrastructure that supports the production of news and information.

A seventh indicator based on data gathered about abuses and acts of violence against journalists and media during the period evaluated is also factored into the calculation.

7/ Abuses [indicator scoreExa]

Measures the level of abuses and violence.

Obviously it's all going to be a bit subjective, but it gives you an idea.

14 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

What a seething virgin roaster Ad Lib is

Trouble is he doesn't really believe what he's typed.   

Multiple insults affirm only that he's raging at Alex Salmond but he can't figure out why.   

But we all know.  

3 hours ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

There are worse ways to make a living tbf.

Like hosting a chat show on Russian TV amarite ?

The funny thing is, it isn't Russian TV.  It's free-to-air British TV.  His show has been signed up by the London based TV channel. 

I very much doubt it will be shown in Moscow.  

Edited by Antiochas III

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Ok to fight pens and cameras with rockets and bombs if you disagree with their politics in another country though.

Except that wasn’t even remotely what happened or why it happened. A critical part of a military dictatorship’s propaganda arm was bombed as part of a broader military operation to stop the regime from committing genocide.

It wasn’t about stopping journalists from supporting Milosevic or opposing the west.

Propagandists for dictators do not enjoy a freedom of speech defence. Their speech isn’t free and the regimes they defend are themselves the enemy of such speech. And basic human rights more generally.

35 minutes ago, McQuade said:

There's been dozens of MPs who have appeared on RT , even Rightwingers like Farage , I don't recall any crying about him on it?

There is plenty of complaint about Farage and Galloway. Farage had a lot of press as he was 'knighted' on RT at the start of the year in some bizarre ritual.

I think giving comment is fine but think that Galloway and Salmond both effectively getting a salary from the Russian Government is really badly wrong.

10 hours ago, Ad Lib said:

...A critical part of a military dictatorship’s propaganda arm was bombed as part of a broader military operation to stop the regime from committing genocide...

Milosevic was democratically elected and eventually lost power democratically (albeit not the smoothest handovers of power). There are plenty of valid reasons to criticize him without pretending he was a military dictator. It's unfortunate that the Yugoslav electorate went for nationalists like Milosevic, Tudjman and Izetbegovic rather than federalist reformers like Markovic when communism ended there, but they did and very much reaped what they sowed with that with all the mayhem over the next decade. Genocide is also a little over the top as a description for what was actually really going on (with the obvious exception of the Srebrenica massacre which Milosevic had no direct command and control over as it was done by the Bosnian Serbs), and that terminology tended to be pushed obsessively in the western media because if Auschwitz level stuff was proven to be happening outside states were required by international treaty to intervene.  NATO's targeting of the Serbs was legally very dubious in terms of international law and the ongoing blind eye turned to what the Croatians, Mujahideen types in Bosnia and KLA got up to, which was often just as bad in terms of ethnic cleansing, was all part of a Cold War mindset in which the Serbs were equated with the Russians and hence as the enemy to be defeated rather than as just one of the competing sets of equally repulsive nationalist nutters in an area where the lunatics had taken over the asylum. Bratstvo i Jedinstvo ya bass! 

1 hour ago, harry94 said:

There is plenty of complaint about Farage and Galloway. Farage had a lot of press as he was 'knighted' on RT at the start of the year in some bizarre ritual.

I think giving comment is fine but think that Galloway and Salmond both effectively getting a salary from the Russian Government is really badly wrong.

I had assumed that was on Press TV, but if it was RT then it probably deserves a news award.

Personally, I care more about what is best for Independence than Unionists apparently being "seething".  Despite the faux-outrage on display, I doubt many Unionists will be anything other than quite pleased to see this go ahead.

In terms of Scottish voters, it will be watched by a fairly small number of already converted National reader types but produce no end of damaging headlines in the mainstream press (which P&B will also think is great). 

The Unionist press will be all over this looking for undermining statements about Scotland, dodgy personal opinions about the rest of the world and yer da patter that they can twist into a headline. Salmond will no doubt serve it up to them on a plate.

Have a lot of love for the guy overall but he's not been a particularly useful peripheral figure since handing over the reins. 

Edited by Alan Stubbs

I think after all the build up to this, the show itself will turn out to be pretty beige. We might get some half decent pics or gifs to troll each other on here with.

Salmond will do what he does best, cause Unionist seethe and hysteria and highlight hypocrisy, as already evident by the mere announcement of the show.

I understand people's concerns about it damaging the Independence movement, but I think it will have minimum impact. The debate is pretty polarised, with 35-40 % on either side pretty much committed. The 'don't knows' who will decide the result will vote on the strength of the (mostly financial) arguments, not something Alex Salmond says on a chat show on a channel barely anyone will watch. 

The only problems I can foresee, is that he turns full Sillars or tin foil hat, if Putin does something completely mental or the guests he has on the show are far too controversial.

8 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I personally don't think that he'd go a full Sillars - more concerned that his ego will make him think he is fully in control when RT start trying to pull the strings.

Agree with the first part. Although I think his ego would also make him likely to walk away if he thought he was being used, or misrepresented.

Regarding any 'impact' on the independence movement, I don't think it will have much at all - if any. 

Most people who really like Salmond and/or the SNP won't have much of a problem with it, although there will obviously be some exceptions. Most folk who viscerally dislike Salmond and/or the SNP will have a big problem with it. 

Those that usually vote for the SNP and support independence but aren't entirely comfortable with this, like myself, will not be bothered enough by it to change our voting preferences. 

Those who aren't really engaged or obsessed with (UK party) politics won't take any real notice of it either way. 

It will have approximately no impact on the outcome of any future elections and/or the next independence referendum, whenever that may be.