The "Stupid Questions You Have Been Asked" thread

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Cerberus said:

No wonder people get confused, it just looks like someone's house. The walls aren't even that big.

It's a pretty shite when you compare it to the castles in Europe, which is probably what people are expecting.

If you were planning a trip to see a famous landmark, wouldn't you have at the very least seen a picture of it in a tour guide or travel brochure before arriving, and have a vague idea of what it looked like?

On an early visit to London I successfully negotiated the underground to Westminster. Got out and peered either way and after a few minutes almost, I can't stress strongly enough, almost asked where Big Ben was. It was before mobiles etc. If the fùcking thing hadn't chimed I wouldn't have looked up and seen it.

11 hours ago, Cerberus said:

No wonder people get confused, it just looks like someone's house. The walls aren't even that big.

It's a pretty shite when you compare it to the castles in Europe, which is probably what people are expecting.

Bear in mind, in it's middle age heyday, what is now Princes St Gardens was the nor' Loch, and those sheer inclines means you don't need a big wall on the Western side. All the main defences, batteries and walls are on the Royal Mile side.

Many years ago i Phoned up to order some stuff from my catalogue and as usual after ordering the lady tells me I have some "special offers" on my account today.

1st she asks me if I would like the England football shirt at only £40? "I'm Scottish" comes my reply. 

Next she asks if I would like the England tracksuit at £60? "Still Scottish" I reply.

The 1st was bad enough asking a guy who clearly sounds Scottish and is from Scotland but the fact she didn't listen to my 1st reply shows these people really are on autopilot.

I will stick to online shopping.

2 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

On an early visit to London I successfully negotiated the underground to Westminster. Got out and peered either way and after a few minutes almost, I can't stress strongly enough, almost asked where Big Ben was. It was before mobiles etc. If the fùcking thing hadn't chimed I wouldn't have looked up and seen it.

Was in Barcelona several years ago with my missus, got the underground and got out at the stop for Sagrada Familia. The exit we took meant we came out with our backs to it. My missus asked where it was while I had already stopped and turned around. Never let her live that one down.

13 hours ago, tamthebam said:

A fat yank wifie once asked me in Lothian Road at the Princes Street end  if I knew where Edinburgh Castle was,  

ME: "You see that big old stone building that looks suspiciously like a castle on top of that big rock"

YANK :" Uh-huh"

ME: "Well, what the f*ck do you think that is then..."

I was in Edinburgh once and got stopped on Princes Street by an American couple who asked me to take their photo with Edinburgh Castle.  They asked me if I lived in Edinburgh and I just said yes to avoid having to explain that I didn't and lived in a town, near a completely different city. 

Anyway having answered yes the guy then followed up that question with "So do you live in the castle then?" 

It wasn't a joke,  he asked the question in a completely sincere way. 

Cos if you live in Edinburgh you must live in the castle, right?  I mean you'd have to live in the castle to be protected by its mighty walls from the marauding rebel armies, wolves, bears, witches, body snatchers and those mischievously evil imps and leprechauns. 

"Naw mate, I just live in a house".

Speaking of Americans...

"Oh, you're from Scotland! That's part of England isn't it?"

"I didn't realise you were Scottish, you speak good English."

"Do Scottish people wear kilts everyday? Do you not get cold?"

"Doesn't it rain all the time in Scotland? Do you not get flooded?"

Yeah, for a country with a lot of people of Scottish heritage and whose "founding fathers" featured a number of Scotsmen, there's an awful lot of Americans who don't seem to know anything about Scotland or indeed many other nations apart from their own. 

Sitting having a coffee on a cruise with 2 american women they asked where I was from and I informed them Scotland.  Where did you learn to speak English so well because you are fluent was their reply.  Priceless and yet people wonder why Trummp was elected.

5 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

That's easy done. You don't expect to come out right under the fucking thing. Freaked me out first time.

I've spoken to several Americans who clearly didn't realise that Scotland was part of the UK, and thought I was from somewhere in Northern Europe. One explicitly mixed us up with Switzerland, and asked if I yodelled. Bless. None of them had any malice in their ignorance.

Several expressed surprise that Scotland was part of Great Britain, as they thought that was just another name for England. Can't really blame them for that TBH, as there are plenty of folk in the UK who're happy to refer to Britain when it's pretty clear that they aren't too fussed about the inclusion of the provinces.

You can only feel for Africans who come here and have to field questions about loincloths and famine. They must think we're a bunch of fucking ignorami.

1 hour ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I've spoken to several Americans who clearly didn't realise that Scotland was part of the UK, and thought I was from somewhere in Northern Europe. One explicitly mixed us up with Switzerland, and asked if I yodelled. Bless. None of them had any malice in their ignorance.

Several expressed surprise that Scotland was part of Great Britain, as they thought that was just another name for England. Can't really blame them for that TBH, as there are plenty of folk in the UK who're happy to refer to Britain when it's pretty clear that they aren't too fussed about the inclusion of the provinces.

You can only feel for Africans who come here and have to field questions about loincloths and famine. They must think we're a bunch of fucking ignorami.

Ignoramuses ;)

My favourite stupid question is 5 seconds into this:

The whole ‘Scottish people speaking English’ thing needs to be put into perspective,

If you asked a number of Scottish people what language people spoke in Argentina, Brazil and Mexico what do you think the answers would be?  

BTW these are just random examples.

5 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

Scotland doesn't have an identity in it's own right.
We had the chance to become a sovereign state and be something in the world and the 'whit aboot ma pension' types shat it.

For evermore we'll be part of England or "something to do with Ireland".

What's it got to do with you?

Archived