East SJFA 2 Week Winter Shutdown - NO FRIENDLIES ?

kefc

We have been contacted by one of the clubs pencilled in for our yearly Festive Tournament that East SJFA clubs are not permitted to play any friendlies during the 2 week festive period and no permits will be issued.

As far as we are aware it’s a total shutdown been called by the management committee. Not sure if this is just the East or if it’s all regions.

There may be a valid reason for this that I’m missing but we find this totally bonkers, why can’t clubs play friendlies if they wanted to, the teams that don’t can stay idle, why the restriction? 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, kefc said:

We have been contacted by one of the clubs pencilled in for our yearly Festive Tournament that East SJFA clubs are not permitted to play any friendlies during the 2 week festive period and no permits will be issued.

As far as we are aware it’s a total shutdown been called by the management committee. Not sure if this is just the East or if it’s all regions.

There may be a valid reason for this that I’m missing but we find this totally bonkers, why can’t clubs play friendlies if they wanted to, the teams that don’t can stay idle, why the restriction? 

I started a thread a few weeks ago on this when I found out, West Region as well apparently.  Totally bonkers and without reference to the clubs themselves. We're having two weeks off and some clubs will be play 3 or 4 games a week come April/May. Also, I cannot fathom any reason why friendlies would be barred as well.

Just another example of the backwardness of the Junior game.

But surely if Kelty are the home team it's them who get the work permit, or will the permit only cover Kelty and not the Junior clubs involved

Any time we play a club in a friendly who are not another Junior team we have needed a permit irrespective of whether home or away.
I have clarified it with ER Mgmt committee and we do not have permission.

Have they clarified to clubs why this arbitrary decision has been taken?

9 minutes ago, sponsorsladdie said:

It could end up with clubs playing away from home for 2 games before Xmas, a 2 week break and then winter kicks in and teams out of action for a few more weeks.

How many teams would struggle if they didn’t have a home gate for 4 weeks plus?

Correct, it’s crazy and doesn’t benefit anyone, Supporters, players, clubs.

Maybe the powers that be want a total break with no hassle in sorting refs etc. Shambles where clubs are losing out, there could be weeks of games  sncelked in December January with some teams not having a fixture for weeks, no common sense approach being used at all. No wonder people  get frustrated.

West region got asked if they wanted fixtures over the festive period with some having games cast.

It could end up with clubs playing away from home for 2 games before Xmas, a 2 week break and then winter kicks in and teams out of action for a few more weeks.

Look at the west region fixtures,common occurrence

We have one home game scheduled in the next two months, and we'll lose money on it due to hosting a team from the North Region.

1 hour ago, kefc said:

Correct, it’s crazy and doesn’t benefit anyone, Supporters, players, clubs.

Maybe the powers that be want a total break with no hassle in sorting refs etc. Shambles where clubs are losing out, there could be weeks of games  sncelked in December January with some teams not having a fixture for weeks, no common sense approach being used at all. No wonder people  get frustrated.

West region got asked if they wanted fixtures over the festive period with some having games cast.

The simple thing to do is schedule fixtures for 23rd December, it's just another Saturday, then leave it upto clubs to ask for fixtures on 30th if they want to (the 30th might get decent crowds as people are going stir crazy for a game by then).

If for some bizarre reason they don't want to do that then let clubs play friendlies over that period.  It just smacks of "cannae be ersed" and it benefits nobody. The clubs should have been consulted.

Mind you, the East of Scotland League aren't playing those two Saturdays either, so it looks like the Lowland League will get my money instead.

I’m no preaching or trying to influence people’s opinions on the EOS or Lowland League but it has to be said, why does this sort of negativity seem to follow the guys at the top of the SJFA and it’s regions week in week out it seems?

There doesn’t seem to be much if any griping on how things are run at Lowland League/EOS Level. Fixtures planned in advance, common sense approach for the greater good, spots in national comps, grounhopper day and we have found they always look after their clubs in terms of representation with utter transparency.

From the 3-4 months we have moved the difference has been incredible to say the least. The pyramid ain’t perfect as it stands today but they are doing their best for their clubs that’s for sure.

Total blanket shutdown for Festive Fortnight with no friendlies for the 1st time that I can remember with no reason given for the decision, that’s not good.

Just to clarify, in the West Region it is only on those two dates, the 23rd and 30th December, that friendlies are not allowed if a team didn't request a fixture.

And on permits, you require a permit for every friendly, home and away, except when away to a junior team from your own region. 

Archived