ancientnoise

Red, White, or None?

Red, White, Or None  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Poppy?

When I was wee I remember I stuck some pence into a box and then got a poppy pinned on me. Wore it all day. It had a big long pin. I had no idea why.

Times have changed. 

Red?

White?

None?

It's a load of shite. 

When I was growing up, it was always focussed (rightly) on a fairly dignified remembrance of the horrors and mass slaughter of the First World War. As the OP says, you stuck some money in a box, and tried to put it on your school shirt without stabbing yourself.  It lasted a couple of days and that was it. The expansion of it to include all wars, together with the explosion of attention-seeking welts on Social Media has essentially turned it into a month long clusterfuck of right wing military fetishism and jingoistic hounding of anyone remotely famous not wearing one. The Moeen Ali episode is a shining example of this pish. You've even got wankers with giant plastic poppies stuck to the front of their cars now. 'Sakes.

The last WW1 vet is dead. Get the whole distasteful shambles into the fucking sea. 

Tempranillo for red, Chilean Sauvignon Blanc for white

IMHO of course

Eta also like Montepulciano D'Abruzzo

Eta again LOL whit um a like!!! Just realised I hadnt answered the question! Marginally prefer white as its more refreshing but it depends on mood/what im eating et cetera.

20 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

IMHO of course

Eta again LOL whit um a like!!! Just realised I hadnt answered the question! Marginally prefer white as its more refreshing but it depends on mood/what im eating et cetera.

The accepted wisdom is red for dark meat and white for fish and poultry but I think the sauce is as important. A light, delicate fresh white may be your default for chicken but it's not going to stand up to a Chicken Bhuna.

That said a sharp extra dry Reisling will stand up to just about anything and has the zest and zing to cut through

Years ago it was pretty straightforward, as other posters have said, donate some coins, wear a poppy. That was it. Now however it is virtue signalling at it's finest with folk seemingly desperate to show off how they are wearing a poppy and berating those that don't as well as people chastising others for wearing a red poppy rather than a white one.

Wear whatever colour of poppy you like, or indeed don't wear one if you don't want to, but quit forcing what you think people should or shouldn't do onto other folk and trying to make out that you are somehow better than them.

None. Wearing a pishy wee plastic flower doesn't make you more respectful than anyone else.

A minutes silence is more than enough.

I'm glad some posters are turning this into a wine thread.

I am happy with red or white preferably with a screw top and in a brown paper bag.

IMHO of course

I’ve always been a drinker of red, with a nice Barolo being my favourite.

As I’ve matured, I’ve found myself starting to enjoy white wines also. As you say, they tend to be a lost more refreshing and crisp.

Wine >>>>> Poppies

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

^^^^ likes poppies

Heroin is shite (well it doesn't look fun)

17 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Wine is shite

^^^^  On the Buckie early...