Happy Birthday Celtic

It was 130 years ago today, on November 6, 1887, that the meeting during which Celtic Football Club was formally constituted took place in St Mary’s Church Hall in East Rose Street, Calton.

"A football club will be formed for the maintenance of dinner tables for the children and the unemployed."

It's been quite the journey, from starving immigrants to yuppies. 8)

So P&B, let's all celebrate by sharing our favourite Celtic moments. 

FB_IMG_1509980315134.jpg

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, TheCelt67 said:

It was 130 years ago today, on November 6, 1887, that the meeting during which Celtic Football Club was formally constituted took place in St Mary’s Church Hall in East Rose Street, Calton.

"A football club will be formed for the maintenance of dinner tables for the children and the unemployed."

It's been quite the journey, from starving immigrants to yuppies. 8)

So P&B, let's all celebrate by sharing our favourite Celtic moments. 

FB_IMG_1509980315134.jpg

Well it certainly lived up to its aim of being a club for the unemployed.

On the 6th of November 1887 a football club was formed on the basis of helping the needy catholic poor of the east end. From then on thah club has grown from strength to strength and never forgot its charitable origins and gone on to become the premier footballing club in Scotland. A club that brings joy to so many people's lives including my own, life without Celtic would be chaos. I would like to wish my one true love a very very happy birthday and here's to many more.

God bless.

I think my favourite Celtic moment was not one of our famous footballing achievements or even the plaudits and prizes we have earned for our outstanding performance both on and off the pitch. It was when Neil Lennon faced death threats and intimidation the likes of which no-one should have to face. He stood up to it, and the Celtic support stood beside him. We were all Neil Lennon and he Never Walked Alone*.

article-0-0C13B19000000578-158_634x407.j

*Apart from in Ashton Lane when he got jumped. 

5 minutes ago, deej said:

So the 1888 on the badge etc. is just for a laugh?

I think 1887 was when some papes decided to form Celtic but it wasn't until 1888 that we nicked all of Hibs' players and played a match. 

Archived