Queen’s Park vs Arbroath

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Poor game. We were much better last week and lost. QP well set up to frustrate but offered little. A class strike from Swanks and 2 fabulous stops by the home keeper were the highlights. Rab Douglas didn't make a save! Hampden is the most soulless venue when QP are playing.

Great goal from swankie and a welcome 3 points. 
Well done Rab on the clean sheet, heard before the game Gold did not train al week hence why he wasn’t playing. 

Thought that was pretty comfortable. Queens put loads of decent balls into the box but we dealt with them well. Class from Swankie for the goal, thought Scott Martin was excellent, as was the back 3 and think the rest played well too.

Strange substitutions but think he was just giving guys a run out, we never really looked in any danger with Rab not having a save to make.

Good day and good to be back on track. Think we can be a really good side when Ricky Gomes gets back into the goals.

So how much more of this poor play/poor tactics/poor team selection and substitution howlers must we suffer before Gus's legacy ( which I salute) runs out of steam and there is a change or are we supposed to accept failure without even a hint of improvement for the rest of the season?.

2 hours ago, bobthespider said:

Can anyone explain why Gus persists on playing Donnelly up front on his own when it is obvious to everyone that is not his position and why play duff on right hand side when he can only use his left foot to kick a ball ?
I just don’t understand his team selections at the moment.

Because Gus has lost the plot and his stubborness will cost us. Donnelly and Duff out of position and both showed what they might do if used correctly. The substitution of Iredale was made in a moment of anger and if Gus cannot control that he should walk away. What he may or may not have done in the past is irrelevant. Where and what we are now is all that matters and Gus is all at sea.

Went along to this as live not far from Hampden and wanted to see what the pars would be up against next week.  

Queens were awful, the back line seemed ok, but middle to front absolutely toothless and gutless.  Your number 9 is a waste of a jersey.  Best player on the day was Ross Millen.  That kind of says it all really..........

Arbroath were what I expected from our cup game earlier in the season, comfortably the better team, efficient and effective when it needed to be.

That  all said bet you do us over now next Saturday :lol:

Dick Campbell with the most Dick Campbell post match interview I've seen in his time at Gayfield today. Outstanding. Everything definitely comes in 5's for Dick.

Didn't think much of the game overall, we deserved the 3 points without having to do much for them, everyone did their job and we were very solid at the back and didn't give much away in the middle of the park. I agree with Dick's philosophy that it doesn't matter how you win, how many you win by, what the score was last week etc. what matters is getting the 3 points on the day and we did what we needed to do to get them. I've seen us play far better this season and lose, but after a couple of bad defeats we did exactly what was required today.

16 minutes ago, qpfc said:

Best player I thought was Michael White in goals, made a couple of cracking saves and looked fairly reliable. Would genuinely keep him in the team for next week 

I'm pleased to hear that. I always rated Mikey during his couple of seasons at the Rock. He was a young guy who pretty much always did a decent job when he was called up, and was unfortunate to be behind some really decent 'keepers (David McEwan, Jan Vojáček and Stephen Grindlay) when he was here. I watched him more than a few times in the Juniors, and he nearly always did well.

Hopefully he takes this chance, and finally becomes a No.1 at senior level.

28 minutes ago, qpfc said:

Best player I thought was Michael White in goals, made a couple of cracking saves and looked fairly reliable. Would genuinely keep him in the team for next week 

You know that's actually a fair shout, he did do well.  Certainly got a thumping kick on him, but the majority of his clearances or passes ended up going to an Arbroath player.  Couple of  his saves were excellent, not sure he could do more at the goals.  

Actually got to comfortable today and we got a bit sloppy towards end,  ToB and Little cruised it, thought Hammy struggled a bit again, 

Fair play to big Rab, done everything that was needed, 

1 negative is Doris out for season, hopefully we get someone else in over January 

Can anyone explain why Gus persists on playing Donnelly up front on his own when it is obvious to everyone that is not his position and why play duff on right hand side when he can only use his left foot to kick a ball ?
I just don’t understand his team selections at the moment.

Nope afraid Donnelly up front is inexplicable, McLennan and Orr better options donnelly clearly better playing off the front actually felt sorry for the big guy although he does himself no favours with his body language and workrate
I thought Duff's performance was one of the few positives and hope he gets a run incidentally Arjen Robben's made a pretty decent career in that position...
Also think the big goalie deserves another go 2 great saves a bit of presence about him and kicking was good
btw thought Iredale's substitution was embarrassing if you make a mistake you'll be hooked or sent out on loan seems to be the message
No wonder some of the players are lacking confidence and resort to passing the ball sideways or back [emoji17]

Archived