Super Ayr vs Lewis Vaughan

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Highlights are depressing viewing, our best chance was a classic Spence sclaff to the near post. Does Ayr’s number 16 throw a punch at Vaughan in the build up to the second goal? Around 2 minutes in?

The first goal comes from Scott Robertson just not being a centre half. Shankland drifts off him into space and rather than going tight Robertson sits off him, then gets turned too easily. It’s pish but it’s not as if we can really blame him for it, just not his natural position. Second one is a great finish, I at the time though Jason showed him inside too easy but the boy moves the ball inside then hits it before Thomson even has time to react. Third I missed at the time due to being half way back to the car but viewing it again there it’s a good move.

We can have absolutely no complaints about the score line and in truth it could’ve been much, more. Five wouldn’t have been out of line. We carry too many passengers. McHattie was powderpuff in the tackle and his use of the ball was pish. Thomson has been excellent of late but had a bad night last night. Matthews looks like a different player to last season and even pre-season, no idea what’s happened to him. Bobby Barr hasn’t had a good game in months. It isn’t happening for Buchanan and the boy Zanantta is a fucking joke. Last and most special mention to John Herron though; runs like he’s towing a caravan through treacle in a dream, and gets walked past in the centre of the park like he’s invisible. How on earth did Robertson and Matthews get hooked before him? We have to hope and pray that Vaughan is ok, if he gets injured for any length of time we’ll finish 5th.

Smith needs to shoulder the blame for last night. I’m not sure how many games he gets before a few start turning on him. Failure to get six points from the next two league matches and certainly some eyebrows would be raised.

I’d like to know what our tactic was last night. Maybe it’s just that I’m in no way educated to analyse a game of football but it looks like we give it to a full back, who then looks to clip it in to one of the forwards who drops into the hole from the forward position. That’s fine in theory if that forward is able to drag it in under control and get it wide but it works maybe 1/10. There doesn’t seem to be a plan b because we persevered with it the whole fucking game. Jonny Court at least looked slightly more capable of playing that system, and if that’s what we’re going to be doing going forward then for me he needs to play. He’s not what you’d call deft but he gives defenders something to worry about far more than Spence or Buchanan. I’ll just leave Zanatta out of the equation entirely (hopefully that’s where he stays).

We desperately need Benedictus back at centre half and Robertson in the middle. Everyone has been saying it for months but it’s still totally true. I’d drop Herron regardless but Smith has shown no indication that that’s even an option - him playing the full game last night clearly a sign that he’s the number one man in there. Big change in form required to stay in touching distance with Ayr; they looked like a team who were flying last night and we looked like mid table drifters.

Outwith a couple of games in general  we,ve been pish to average this season not helped by injuries to key players but were only in November,played 12, lost 2 and sitting 2 nd top with a game in hand.

A long way to go and a expect a few twists and turns so no need tp panic

YET

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Highlights are depressing viewing, our best chance was a classic Spence sclaff to the near post. Does Ayr’s number 16 throw a punch at Vaughan in the build up to the second goal? Around 2 minutes in?

The first goal comes from Scott Robertson just not being a centre half. Shankland drifts off him into space and rather than going tight Robertson sits off him, then gets turned too easily. It’s pish but it’s not as if we can really blame him for it, just not his natural position. Second one is a great finish, I at the time though Jason showed him inside too easy but the boy moves the ball inside then hits it before Thomson even has time to react. Third I missed at the time due to being half way back to the car but viewing it again there it’s a good move.

We can have absolutely no complaints about the score line and in truth it could’ve been much, more. Five wouldn’t have been out of line. We carry too many passengers. McHattie was powderpuff in the tackle and his use of the ball was pish. Thomson has been excellent of late but had a bad night last night. Matthews looks like a different player to last season and even pre-season, no idea what’s happened to him. Bobby Barr hasn’t had a good game in months. It isn’t happening for Buchanan and the boy Zanantta is a fucking joke. Last and most special mention to John Herron though; runs like he’s towing a caravan through treacle in a dream, and gets walked past in the centre of the park like he’s invisible. How on earth did Robertson and Matthews get hooked before him? We have to hope and pray that Vaughan is ok, if he gets injured for any length of time we’ll finish 5th.

Smith needs to shoulder the blame for last night. I’m not sure how many games he gets before a few start turning on him. Failure to get six points from the next two league matches and certainly some eyebrows would be raised.

I’d like to know what our tactic was last night. Maybe it’s just that I’m in no way educated to analyse a game of football but it looks like we give it to a full back, who then looks to clip it in to one of the forwards who drops into the hole from the forward position. That’s fine in theory if that forward is able to drag it in under control and get it wide but it works maybe 1/10. There doesn’t seem to be a plan b because we persevered with it the whole fucking game. Jonny Court at least looked slightly more capable of playing that system, and if that’s what we’re going to be doing going forward then for me he needs to play. He’s not what you’d call deft but he gives defenders something to worry about far more than Spence or Buchanan. I’ll just leave Zanatta out of the equation entirely (hopefully that’s where he stays).

We desperately need Benedictus back at centre half and Robertson in the middle. Everyone has been saying it for months but it’s still totally true. I’d drop Herron regardless but Smith has shown no indication that that’s even an option - him playing the full game last night clearly a sign that he’s the number one man in there. Big change in form required to stay in touching distance with Ayr; they looked like a team who were flying last night and we looked like mid table drifters.

Perfectly sums our issues up right there.

I didn’t attend last night, but everything you described has been evident for weeks.  We all left Starks Park 2 weeks ago saying that Ayr would absolutely hammer us if we kept that up. 

When you think Zanatta's dive in the first game was bad, that attempt last night was truly embarrassing.

Good performance - though Docherty was back to his best too which was good to see.
Ferguson should have the right back jersey nailed on too.

One of those games where everyone played well, don't think anyone truly stood out - a great team performance.

When Crawford lost the ball in the middle of the park ad did that wee bit of skill though [emoji7]

When you think Zanatta's dive in the first game was bad, that attempt last night was truly embarrassing.

Good performance - though Docherty was back to his best too which was good to see.
Ferguson should have the right back jersey nailed on too.

One of those games where everyone played well, don't think anyone truly stood out - a great team performance.

When Crawford lost the ball in the middle of the park ad did that wee bit of skill though [emoji7]

Docherty has always been a big game player though. Even last season his best games were against Hibernian imo.

That back four should be the first choice from now on. Raith fans keep going on about Benedictus but he doesn’t get anywhere near that team imo.

As you said when Crawford lost the ball some old guy in front of me shouted at him then when he did the wee turn to steal it back the guy nearly spat his pie out.

Whole night was summed up by an Ayr player tripping over the ball in midfield and ending up on his arse. Our players were so slow to react he had time to get back up, gather the ball and head on his merry way unhindered. 

Also Herron getting tripped up his teammate and wanting a foul.

Well done to Ayr. Got to admire the way they try and play. Always looking to attack and play mostly short quick passes. Can't remember the last time we had a team that doesn't just hoof the ball upfield and hope for the best. 

We've seen some pish players in recent times but Herron, Zanatta and G Smith might top the lot. Barry Smith seems far to loyal to the 5 players he has signed himself. Also it seems Smith is from the Gary Locke school of coaching. 4-4-2 every week, launch high balls to midget strikers and if things aren't going our way just put on more strikers. If form doesn't improve rapidly we should be looking for a new manager.

Thomson Mchattie and Barr are still nowhere near good enough even in this league. Thomson looks past it, Barr doesn't give a f**k and Mchattie is just utter dug shite. Fucking sick of them. 

59 minutes ago, liam_barnett said:

Raith TV version:

I don't like diving in football, still not sure from your footage whether he dived or whether the boys trailing foot caught him, as it is, if he did dive your players have only themselves to blame, the treatment dished out to the big man was pretty poor, he's already had his face rearranged this season yet he's subjected to the same sort of challenges(the Albion boys was at least a hard attempt for the ball) on an almost weekly basis without getting fouls for most of them, I was glad late on in the 1st half when Geggan basically ignored what he was going to do if he won the ball so he could concentrate on leaving one on his opponent who'd no intention of winning the ball, as I said at the match, well done Andy son.

I don't really get where folk are coming from when they say that they didn't think we played that well last night, I thought we were absolutely outstanding, and you could see on the players' faces what it meant to them to get that result last night. I LOVE this team. 

Just now, AyrTroopMajor said:

I don't really get where folk are coming from when they say that they didn't think we played that well last night, I thought we were absolutely outstanding, and you could see on the players' faces what it meant to them to get that result last night. I LOVE this team. 

I thought we turned up in the 1st half and were poor in the 2nd without ever looking like throwing points away, I maybe just wanted to see us absolutely trousering them for the full 90 with plenty of extra fans there, as it is, most will come back for another look anyway.

I thought we turned up in the 1st half and were poor in the 2nd without ever looking like throwing points away, I maybe just wanted to see us absolutely trousering them for the full 90 with plenty of extra fans there, as it is, most will come back for another look anyway.

First half was all about attacking and second half was all about defending.

We excelled in both departments last night and I can’t remember an Ayr team doing that for a while now.

By the way Raith fans, does your gaffer always scream and shout like that for most of the game? I thought McCall was bad for it but Smith was having a meltdown at times.

Archived