Albion Rovers v Forfar

Folks please note the Pie & Pint is available at this game from 1.45 inside the bar at the ground. £10 gets you a pie & drinks. Please note not a normal bar as you can't just pay for a single drink. Also the Albion Rovers Supporters' Trust is having a wear your scarf day.

All fans of both clubs wearing their teams scarf will be given a raffle ticket on entering the ground. 1 adults and 1 kid of each teams fans will win a prize

First half hatrick for the Trouts.

He really should be playing for the Parr's IMHO.

Can we make it a win this time around?
Weir has clearly made an impact on the players, hopefully more than just a point for their efforts this time around.

8 hours ago, roy of the rovers said:

Folks please note the Pie & Pint is available at this game from 1.45 inside the bar at the ground. £10 gets you a pie & drinks. Please note not a normal bar as you can't just pay for a single drink. Also the Albion Rovers Supporters' Trust is having a wear your scarf day.

All fans of both clubs wearing their teams scarf will be given a raffle ticket on entering the ground. 1 adults and 1 kid of each teams fans will win a prize

Sounds good but driving so it's Pie and Bovril for me!

Will wear scarf . Is the prize a weekend in Las Vegas or a half bottle of Buckfast?

1 hour ago, Jupiter Jazz said:

Great result. Weir clearly having a big impact.

Chuffed!

And what a difference Matty Aitken made when he came on. Did more in his first 5 minutes than See  did in all the time he was on. 

Why not swap them out? Aitken gets a run in the 1st team and See with the young Loons.

16 minutes ago, Kwaka Mal said:

And what a difference Matty Aitken made when he came on. Did more in his first 5 minutes than See  did in all the time he was on. 

Why not swap them out? Aitken gets a run in the 1st team and See with the young Loons.

Not disagreeing with Matty's impact, he was fantastic when he came on but that's not really being fair to See. 

Clearly a switch to a more attacking style when Aitken came on, I would guess from instructions from the bench rather than Aitken somehow managing to get all the rest of the team further up the pitch.  See also had a few good flick ons and another half decent claim for a penalty (though I was at the other end from that one).

The tactical switch of playing further up the park also suited Josh's style of play (penalty box striker) with obvious results.

Keeper had another blinder, some cracking saves in each half to keep us in the game, probably our MOTM, with Cox running him close.  Malone helped take the pressure off our 2 centre halfs and Bain stood up well to a constant threat down our right.  Kennedy dealt with anything up the left, really only giving away the free kick at the death.

Cox back to doing what he was doing last season and sticking away 2 goals too plus his cross/shot for the og.  Easton showing that he should have been playing every week and Mackintosh having another good game today.  Duthie put in a decent stint too, but you've got to hand it to Weir, substitutions at the correct time and each actually improving the team when they came on.  Something that never really happened under the last 2 managers.

Agree with most of what you've said LT, apart from See. He's just not strong enough for me when being challanged, and his ball control leaves a lot to be desired in my book. He did win a few flick on headers  but mostly when there was daylight between him and the Albion lads. The couple of runs that Aitken did up the touch line, with 2 defenders nipping away, we would never see from Ouzy. 

McCallum  MOTM for me also. He even received praise from a Rovers fan near me.  A pity about Coxy not being awarded the hat-trick, it would have been his first ever. 

Agree with most of what you've said LT, apart from See. He's just not strong enough for me when being challanged, and his ball control leaves a lot to be desired in my book. He did win a few flick on headers  but mostly when there was daylight between him and the Albion lads. The couple of runs that Aitken did up the touch line, with 2 defenders nipping away, we would never see from Ouzy. 

McCallum  MOTM for me also. He even received praise from a Rovers fan near me.  A pity about Coxy not being awarded the hat-trick, it would have been his first ever. 

Fair do's but I think if Matty had started the game I'm not sure he would have had the same impact as he did swapping with See. Great management in my opinion.

Matty has clearly got a future at the club though. He doesn't shirk a tackle, loves running with the ball and is fast with a bit of strength too. He's only going to get better with game time.

Looks like I'm the first Rovers fan to put my head above the parapet!

Firstly, well done Forfar; that's the sort of result and performance that can turn around a hard season. Of course, banging the ball across the Rovers box is probably the easiest way to a goal in Scottish football at the moment, but you've still got to apply the finishes and wee Cox and friends did that with aplomb.

To us, and the Winter slump has clearly arrived. We actually created quite a bit in the first half but fell out of the second, presumably because the forward-looking guys got fed up having to attempt to regain the initiative after the defence let another soft goal trickled in at the other end. Players out of position yesterday, notwithstanding, it's pretty clear that you can perm any four of our defenders and they wouldn't make a strong collective defence. I'm also not sure that coaching is the answer (we're four months in and nothing has changed), nor that we'll always score more goals than the opposition as the dodgy winter  pitches become more prevalent.

To finish on a positive, I though Craig McLeish should have been our Man of the Match. He didn't impress in his first start at Airdrie last week (understandably, perhaps) but settled well yesterday and gave us a threat down the left hand side. Ross Davidson was one of our better performers when he came on too, and ironically it's Ross who has made way for Craig.

4 hours ago, Aloysius Snuffleupagus said:

Looks like I'm the first Rovers fan to put my head above the parapet!

Firstly, well done Forfar; that's the sort of result and performance that can turn around a hard season. Of course, banging the ball across the Rovers box is probably the easiest way to a goal in Scottish football at the moment, but you've still got to apply the finishes and wee Cox and friends did that with aplomb.

To us, and the Winter slump has clearly arrived. We actually created quite a bit in the first half but fell out of the second, presumably because the forward-looking guys got fed up having to attempt to regain the initiative after the defence let another soft goal trickled in at the other end. Players out of position yesterday, notwithstanding, it's pretty clear that you can perm any four of our defenders and they wouldn't make a strong collective defence. I'm also not sure that coaching is the answer (we're four months in and nothing has changed), nor that we'll always score more goals than the opposition as the dodgy winter  pitches become more prevalent.

To finish on a positive, I though Craig McLeish should have been our Man of the Match. He didn't impress in his first start at Airdrie last week (understandably, perhaps) but settled well yesterday and gave us a threat down the left hand side. Ross Davidson was one of our better performers when he came on too, and ironically it's Ross who has made way for Craig.

Firstly thanks for the sporting and complimentary comments on Forfar, something not seen enough on this forum.

I shouldn't really comment on your defence as I wasn't there yesterday and when we played you up here we basically lay down and died, or so it seemed on the day. However, your comment on coaching them may well be true given your assistant manager. If big Malcs cannot coach a group of defenders into a cohesive unit then I suspect they are a poor bunch but time will tell.

Good luck for the rest of the season (except against us).

Guest bernardblack

So chuffed we've kicked on from that positive result last week with an excellent win.

Take something some next weeks game before a cup game we could (should) win and that'll be a great few weeks!

Archived