Sign in to follow this  
Livilion28

Most underrated player in your team

Would have said Tom Taiwo up until recently but his performances when the rest of the team has been dogshit has meant he now mostly gets the respect he deserves. Has the ability to absolutely ruin a full opposition midfield on his day and you never get anything less than 100%. No one else can say they are being underrated this season. Pass marks were few and far between until Houston left.

10 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

When Baird  first appeared regularly in the Ian Murray team, he looked capable of going reasonably far in the game. I think being a young defender playing regularly in a terrible team for a season and a half (ie up to last January, at which point he was mainly dropped until Davis did his knee) since then has really damaged his confidence.

He's definitely been improving under Ross, albeit with the disclaimer that he still wouldn't have been playing if Davis and McKenzie were fit.

He's a more than decent backup and, as SN1F said, he's played 15 times this season and we're top of the league. 

I hope we get him on a long contract, tbh.

It's worth bearing in mind as well when Ian Murray was manager it was Baird's first full season, I know he had a few games in the top league too,  he really was thrown into the deep end at such a young age. It's easier for guys like McGinn, Mallan, McLean to break into the team and make a good impression because they are midfielders but if Baird makes a mistake it more than likely will cost us a goal. 

Baird, like any other young player needs at least 100 games under there belt before anyone can fairly criticise them, and that's normally the time they get a bigger move when they have cemented themselves in the team.

Edited by sergie's no1 fan

Aaron Muirhead for us. Nothing fancy but he's solid enough and rarely makes major errors. Strong in the tackle, good in the air, the long throws are a weapon and he does what he's asked to do. People are desperate to crucify him but there are far bigger problems in the team than him. He's 6/10 but our fans seem to have him as 3/10.

Ricky Lamie and Andy Murdoch. 

Andy Murdoch is everyone's first name on teamsheet. Certainly not under rated

I don't think anyone particularly fits the bill for us.  In the main I feel our fans generally seem to have a good appreciation of our players when they do well.  I would say we can be over the top with our criticism of the under-performers, sometimes ridiculously so, but that isn't the same as underrating.
Of those suggested, Jacobs clearly isn't in the required category as already pointed out.  If anything he should be classed as a "fans favourite", and rightly so.  Guaranteed 7/10 or above every week.  His lack of passing ability is a frustration, but as SD says if he could pass the ball he'd be playing at a higher level (see Stephen McKenna).
The above applies for Jordan Marshall as well, almost word for word.  Just replace passing with crossing.
I don't think Fordyce or Kerr are especially underrated, it's been pretty widely acknowledged they have both been great additions, and upgrades on last season.  I dread to think what our goals against column would have looked like had Dowie and Higgins been playing in front of an injured goalkeeper.
I tend to agree with SD that the closest I can think of would be Rankin.  He rarely receives praise despite being a solid player.

I don’t think you can say Rankin is underrated though as he came to the team with a pedigree which suggested he should stroll at our level and he hasn’t. I agree he’s playing better now but I’d expected more from him.
From a personal perspective I’ve definitely underrated Jordan Marshall. He’s always had that head down running style which suggested a lower division full back but his contribution to games just seems to have taken off recently. I’m hoping there’s more to come!

11 hours ago, Finch road said:

Andy Murdoch is everyone's first name on teamsheet. Certainly not under rated

Underrated in that a lot of his work goes unnoticed moreso last season when forbes, O'Ware, Oliver were getting the plaudits. Also don't think he gets the credit he deserves from opposition fans.

He's in his testimonial year and we love him but for me Gary fusco as a player is underrated , ok he's clumsy and gangly but he as a football player has been fantastic for our club I don't think he get the plaudits he deserves 

For me Darren Brownlie has been underrated this season.

On 11/3/2017 at 07:04, Mr.Blue said:

Underrated in that a lot of his work goes unnoticed moreso last season when forbes, O'Ware, Oliver were getting the plaudits. Also don't think he gets the credit he deserves from opposition fans.

He's always gotten a lot of praise.

He's definitely been improving under Ross, albeit with the disclaimer that he still wouldn't have been playing if Davis and McKenzie were fit.

I wouldn’t be so sure of that. I think since Magennis and Davis got injured they seem to have become irreplaceable in the eyes of some saints fans. Due to the lack of alternatives I think Magennis has gone straight into the team and stayed there however has not been very good. Granted he needs some time to get up to speed.

I would not be in any rush to throw MacKenzie and Davis back into the team. MacKenzie is overrated because he’s a threat at corners people seem to forget that he’s just as suspect at centre half. Davis is a good player, like Magennis, not as good as he’s been made out to be on here since his injury. I think Davis and Baird at centre half has the makings of a decent pairing, when Davis eventually returns.

I don't think we really have anyone who is necessarily 'underrated' (some would argue we have a few who are overrated). Personally I think Mark Durnan gets more stick than he deserves (or at least he used to). He is a pretty consistent and reliable defender at this level and over the last two seasons has shown that.