Martin Luther - good guy or w****r?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quite funny how much people wilfully condense and misinterpret this quote from the big boy. 

The full quote

"The foundation of irreligious criticism is: Man makes religion, religion does not make man. Religion is, indeed, the self-consciousness and self-esteem of man who has either not yet won through to himself, or has already lost himself again. But man is no abstract being squatting outside the world. Man is the world of man – state, society. This state and this society produce religion, which is an inverted consciousness of the world, because they are an inverted world. Religion is the general theory of this world, its encyclopaedic compendium, its logic in popular form, its spiritual point d’honneur, its enthusiasm, its moral sanction, its solemn complement, and its universal basis of consolation and justification. It is the fantastic realization of the human essence since the human essence has not acquired any true reality. The struggle against religion is, therefore, indirectly the struggle against that world whose spiritual aroma is religion.

Religious suffering is, at one and the same time, the expression of real suffering and a protest against real suffering. Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people.

The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is the demand for their real happiness. To call on them to give up their illusions about their condition is to call on them to give up a condition that requires illusions. The criticism of religion is, therefore, in embryo, the criticism of that vale of tears of which religion is the halo."

He basically was saying that religion made people less likely to confront the oppressiveness of capitalism because it was like opium given to a sick or injured person: it reduced people's immediate suffering and provided them with pleasant illusions.

34 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

The full quote

"The foundation of irreligious criticism is: Man makes religion, religion does not make man. Religion is, indeed, the self-consciousness and self-esteem of man who has either not yet won through to himself, or has already lost himself again. But man is no abstract being squatting outside the world. Man is the world of man – state, society. This state and this society produce religion, which is an inverted consciousness of the world, because they are an inverted world. Religion is the general theory of this world, its encyclopaedic compendium, its logic in popular form, its spiritual point d’honneur, its enthusiasm, its moral sanction, its solemn complement, and its universal basis of consolation and justification. It is the fantastic realization of the human essence since the human essence has not acquired any true reality. The struggle against religion is, therefore, indirectly the struggle against that world whose spiritual aroma is religion.

Religious suffering is, at one and the same time, the expression of real suffering and a protest against real suffering. Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people.

The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is the demand for their real happiness. To call on them to give up their illusions about their condition is to call on them to give up a condition that requires illusions. The criticism of religion is, therefore, in embryo, the criticism of that vale of tears of which religion is the halo."

He basically was saying that religion made people less likely to confront the oppressiveness of capitalism because it was like opium given to a sick or injured person: it reduced people's immediate suffering and provided them with pleasant illusions.

Yes I too have access to Wikipedia :)

7 hours ago, NotThePars said:

The original (Wyclif f**k off) and best.

Wycliffe's followers invented text speak and became known as the LOLards.

Was criticism of the Catholic Church not hereditary - I've heard of a Wycliff Gene...  

inquisiton.jpg.ee9ab2e3627c9600539b3ea170bfbff5.jpg

Torquemada: Repent sinner, for Punnes are an ABOMINATION unto God... 

Guest Moomintroll
Wycliffe's followers invented text speak and became known as the LOLards.
Was criticism of the Catholic Church not hereditary - I've heard of a Wycliff Gene...  
inquisiton.jpg.ee9ab2e3627c9600539b3ea170bfbff5.jpg
Torquemada: Repent sinner, for Punnes are an ABOMINATION unto God... 

I didn't expect that.

14 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Quite funny how much people wilfully condense and misinterpret this quote from the big boy. 

It’s not surprising that folk condense it, neither is the gist of it a misinterpretation.

1 minute ago, NotThePars said:

Aye i'm sure all the bros posting it are aiming at the total dismantling of the capitalist system. emoji23.png

I have no idea what that means, maybe I misinterpreted your post.

Definitely bizarre. Always used to get told that Marx quote by my grandmother who was a pro-Moscow Communist when I was a sprog and my understanding has always been that the opium of the people bit meant that religion in all its forms was a lie pushed on the poor by the rich and powerful to keep them docile and easy to control.  You don't have to want to dismantle capitalism and replace it with Marxist-Leninism under a revolutionary vanguard (I don't as the track record of that sort of politics was less than stellar) to agree with the underlying analysis from Marx on that and to think that people that still want to argue over whether one brand of Christianity is better than another on a football board in 2017 are throwbacks to another era.

Aye i'm sure all the bros posting it are aiming at the total dismantling of the capitalist system. [emoji23]

You can agree with one of Marx’s sentiments without endorsing them all

Likewise you can agree with Luther’s critique of a corrupt, venal and malignant Roman church without endorsing endorsing his antisemitism

Or indeed vice-versa if that’s your bag

You can agree with one of Marx’s sentiments without endorsing them all

Likewise you can agree with Luther’s critique of a corrupt, venal and malignant Roman church without endorsing endorsing his antisemitism

Or indeed vice-versa if that’s your bag

Baffling why anyone would want to endorse any of Luther IMHO.

Archived