Most Disappointing XI

I can’t say I was disappointed by Knight either. His time with us panned out much as I expected.

I can only assume those that were disappointed saw that he was once on Chelsea’s books but missed the 10+ other clubs he played for prior to joining us.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

I can’t say I was disappointed by Knight either. His time with us panned out much as I expected.

I can only assume those that were disappointed saw that he was once on Chelsea’s books but missed the 10+ other clubs he played for prior to joining us.

Aye but at some clubs he was prolific. There was always that hope that somehow we could get him to screw the nut and get him to play at his best. Clearly that never happened though.

Some good suggestions offered up by my fellow Pars fans. Here's my attempt.

GK - Iain Turner. Hard one to choose but Turner came up on loan (pretty sure he was still at Everton, may have moved on to another English club) and had been really highly rated at Stirling Albion then Everton. Fluffed crucial goals against Hibs (a game we lost 3-2) and Aberdeen (where we lost 0-4) in January / February when we went down from the SPL in 2012.

RB - Jason Thomson. Struggled with this position, and Jim McIntyre was a bit hamstrung by his budget, but he was a bit out of his depth in the Premier League with us.

CB - Youssef Rossi. Have to go with the big man here. Injured when we signed him but was assured he'd be worth waiting on as he'd such a proven pedigree. Made his home debut against Rangers; a 0-0 draw where was sensational. Scored a brilliant goal in a fog-bound festive win over Aberdeen but also capable of the ridiculous. Mind him getting sent off in a 2-3 at Tannadice (I think) and he booted Henrik Larsson to concede a penalty in a cup replay at Parkhead. Tremendous player but was batshit bonkers, went AWOL and that was it.

CB - Andre Karnebeek. Not really his own fault but another of Calderwood's heralded Dutchmen who came with a good reputation. Unfortunately, he was injured for the majority of his time at the club.

LB - Jim Paterson. Thought he might have had a bit of needed experience to help us in a dire League One season. It was clear his best days were behind him.

MR - Junior Mendes. I was delighted when we signed him from St Mirren after us and them won promotion in 2000. He was a constant thorn in our side and I remember him putting in a superb performance in a 1-2 Monday night loss to Celtic (the Lambert dive game). Injuries hampered him and he just never produced for us. A shame.

MC - Sergio Duarte. As a young, impressionable fan, signing a Brazilian was unheard of. This prompted thoughts of silky soccer but, unfortunately, Sir Bert Paton somehow found a Brazilian who wasn't that great. Pretty sure he missed the team bus after a Coca Cola semi-final loss to Celtic at Ibrox as well.

MC -Lee Makel. Was always decent for Livingston and thought he'd do a job for us. He's in purely for his ridiculous red card in a Scottish Cup game with Airdrie in 2006, where we promptly chucked a 3-2 lead to lose 4-3 in stoppage time.

ML - Sean Kilgannon. Had come through Middlesbrough's Academy and, again, seemed to be highly thought of. Not the best wide man we've ever had.

ST - Andy Campbell. This chap cost Cardiff City about a million quid. Played in the Premiership for Middlesbrough and I think scored against Man Utd. An utter haddie for us and him playing in the 2006 League Cup final is still infuriating.

ST - Tomas Danilevičius. Signed him on loan from Arsenal, so you're thinking, he's obviously got something. Went on to have a good career in Italy and with his country but I'm sure he missed an open goal in a game with Hibs. Wiki suggests he only played three games for us. Thought it was more but he's in anyway.

ETA - Could easily swap in Steven Hampshire for Danilevičius, or someone like Derek Ferguson for Lee Makel.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, ATLIS said:

Forgot to mention Jacob Esposito as well, was waiting on a work permit after signing and never made an appearance I'm sure :D 

Pretty sure he turned out to be quite shite before his work permit even came through, then signed for Airdrie instead :lol:

We've had a few players sign and never play any competitive games over the past couple years. David Luongo signed the same time as Andreu but think he was injured the whole season; Curtis Jones signed, played 45 minutes of a friendly, scored an OG and left all in the space of a few weeks; Jacob Esposito signed, played for the U20s a couple of times then joined Airdrie; could probably count Calum Elliot signing a pre-contract, talking about being excited to join Livi on TV, then signing for Raith :lol: Looks like Ross Brown is doing the same as Luongo, been injured since we signed him.

On 02/11/2017 at 14:25, Larbert_Par said:

Some good suggestions offered up by my fellow Pars fans. Here's my attempt.

GK - Iain Turner. Hard one to choose but Turner came up on loan (pretty sure he was still at Everton, may have moved on to another English club) and had been really highly rated at Stirling Albion then Everton. Fluffed crucial goals against Hibs (a game we lost 3-2) and Aberdeen (where we lost 0-4) in January / February when we went down from the SPL in 2012.

RB - Jason Thomson. Struggled with this position, and Jim McIntyre was a bit hamstrung by his budget, but he was a bit out of his depth in the Premier League with us.

CB - Youssef Rossi. Have to go with the big man here. Injured when we signed him but was assured he'd be worth waiting on as he'd such a proven pedigree. Made his home debut against Rangers; a 0-0 draw where was sensational. Scored a brilliant goal in a fog-bound festive win over Aberdeen but also capable of the ridiculous. Mind him getting sent off in a 2-3 at Tannadice (I think) and he booted Henrik Larsson to concede a penalty in a cup replay at Parkhead. Tremendous player but was batshit bonkers, went AWOL and that was it.

CB - Andre Karnebeek. Not really his own fault but another of Calderwood's heralded Dutchmen who came with a good reputation. Unfortunately, he was injured for the majority of his time at the club.

LB - Jim Paterson. Thought he might have had a bit of needed experience to help us in a dire League One season. It was clear his best days were behind him.

MR - Junior Mendes. I was delighted when we signed him from St Mirren after us and them won promotion in 2000. He was a constant thorn in our side and I remember him putting in a superb performance in a 1-2 Monday night loss to Celtic (the Lambert dive game). Injuries hampered him and he just never produced for us. A shame.

MC - Sergio Duarte. As a young, impressionable fan, signing a Brazilian was unheard of. This prompted thoughts of silky soccer but, unfortunately, Sir Bert Paton somehow found a Brazilian who wasn't that great. Pretty sure he missed the team bus after a Coca Cola semi-final loss to Celtic at Ibrox as well.

MC -Lee Makel. Was always decent for Livingston and thought he'd do a job for us. He's in purely for his ridiculous red card in a Scottish Cup game with Airdrie in 2006, where we promptly chucked a 3-2 lead to lose 4-3 in stoppage time.

ML - Sean Kilgannon. Had come through Middlesbrough's Academy and, again, seemed to be highly thought of. Not the best wide man we've ever had.

ST - Andy Campbell. This chap cost Cardiff City about a million quid. Played in the Premiership for Middlesbrough and I think scored against Man Utd. An utter haddie for us and him playing in the 2006 League Cup final is still infuriating.

ST - Tomas Danilevičius. Signed him on loan from Arsenal, so you're thinking, he's obviously got something. Went on to have a good career in Italy and with his country but I'm sure he missed an open goal in a game with Hibs. Wiki suggests he only played three games for us. Thought it was more but he's in anyway.

ETA - Could easily swap in Steven Hampshire for Danilevičius, or someone like Derek Ferguson for Lee Makel.

Can't remember Turner at all. What keepers did we play around the time of him? Butler and Ruitenbeek?

MC - Sergio Duarte. As a young, impressionable fan, signing a Brazilian was unheard of. This prompted thoughts of silky soccer but, unfortunately, Sir Bert Paton somehow found a Brazilian who wasn't that great.

Surprised you don't have that legendary striker Edinho in your list. One goal in his loan spell from Bradford.

Can't remember Turner at all. What keepers did we play around the time of him? Butler and Ruitenbeek?

Nah he was with us the season after we won the title against Morton. We started the season with Gallagher, his season ended against Hearts with a bad shoulder injury, we were then left with Chris Smith who was throwing in goals weekly which lead to the loan signing of Turner.

Archived