Brechin City -vs- Dumbarton

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Regardless of the performance, that's a fantastic result for us given the current state of our squad. I'd have bitten your hand off for a scrappy 1-0 before kick off.

Good to hear Hutton played well. How did the Carswell and Hutton combo look?

Carswell + Hutton = Statuesque

Big Hutton, Carswell, Stewart, Roy, Walsh all put a shift in. To be fair they all dug in & got us a well earned 3 points.
Well done Stevie and team

Hutts, Carswell, Stewart and Walshy would be the experienced players you'd have looked at to get us in the game in an attacking sense. Glad they stepped up to it.

Carswell back in the team = Unexpected three points.

He almost scored twice today too. Him and Hutton actually worked, Kyle had by far his best game for us, and Carsy was back to himself.

I'll post a wee bit more later, but until then I'll just sit in the car with a heavy big grin.

Agreed that was fucking awful today . Got what we deserved with fucking about at the back .  Negative from the start. No Lynas for whatever reason meaning no drive on the right.  Our front lot couldn't score in a barrel of fannies. Missed MacLennan to hold things up .  As people have been saying 5 at the back just doesn't work.  Why do we start pushing guys up only after they score with 2 mins left ?   Bloody shocking. 
 I would like to say that the undroppable  Willie Dire was unlucky with the og but in all honesty that sums him up. 
In fairness to Dumbarton they closed everything down but in all honesty it was one of the worst football games I have seen this season. 

Totally agree got what we deserved don't understand the subs takes off Jordan for fin surely he shoukd have taken off watt who I think didn't have a great game. Then takes off Issac why not take off a defender and put Connor on and go for it. Then takes of spark for Lynas why not put on Smith instead of playing for the draw then after loosing a goal then pushes criton up why not do that at 0 0. Been trying to stay positive but after that today I can't think Darren is running out of ideas

On 10/30/2017 at 13:56, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Massive game for both clubs this. Win and we deliver a big blow to Brechin's survival chances, lose and we're drawn  back into the fight to avoid tenth.

I'd bite your hand off for a flukey 1-0 win with an own goal that doesn't cross the line.

Prophetic, utterly prophetic.

Dumbarton came for a draw a left with a win .
Our tactics were horrendous 5 man defence at home

against a team who were weakened by injuries and suspension s . I'll cut Dods slack most weeks and he's entitled to use his squad he see s them at training we don't . But today s all his fault. We fell out of game when Isaac and 60 minutesSinclair went off . Our best chances 3 x 30yarders . Maclennan was having to track back to look for the ball when got on . The own goal was unfortunate I don t mind Willie Dyer at all .I thought Crighton was poor today. Sparky put in a brilliant cross 2nd half shame we didn't only 2 guys in box .Then his next 2 crosses hit the bar staff in the City Club.
Buckie is now a massive match on and off the field . A cup run could save our season as I fear that's us relegated . As for Dumbarton they defended well marshalled by Dougie Hill . I think they d actually settled for a point

Make no mistake, that was an absolutely massive result for us. It will give us a nice boost at a difficult time, and will be a massive run, jump and kick in the stones for Darren Dods and his team.

I thought we deserved the win over the 90. Scott Gal made a low save from an effort from the edge of the box in the first half, and Liam Watt cracked one off the crossbar in the second, but that aside Brechin looked seriously poor. How many times did they get in a decent position for a cross, and then fire the ball directly out of play?

Speaking of Scott Gal I'm delighted he got a clean sheet. He's very much a confidence player imo, and the symbolic side of that alone should be a boost. Our other much-maligned players did reasonably well too. Dowie had a few typically shaky moments, but defended pretty solidly, and I heard him speaking like a captain a few times "Come on Walsh wee man, need to be better, lift it" "Ally don't be afraid to go at them". Liked that.

Hutton was very good. He swept about the midfield winning challenges and very rarely lost possession. Alongside him Carsy looked as good as ever. He even came close to scoring what would be his first senior goal in 159 games, only to be denied from the edge of the area by an excellent Graeme Smith save. He's such a good, quicker passer of the ball and acted like a metronome in the heart of midfield.

Finalising the maligned list is SeaGal, who had a good first-half, and then a fairly poor second. There are times where he looks really clever and confident, and others where he looks miles out his depth. Weird player, but more effective on the wing than Stewart.

Aside from them I though Dougie Hill was excellent. Again. He won near enough everything in the air, flew into challenges and didn't Isaac Layne or Connor McLennan get the better of him at any point. Andy Graham's boots have been filled by him in the uninspiring and old but courageous, hard and lovable role.

Wardrop and Boomer both looked better going forward than defending, as per, but when they did get forward they were amongst our main threats. Boomer had a great game, and was rewarded with the assist for the goal. He fired a few belting deliveries into the area - only to see them passed up. I love how much passion he has too, the goal clearly meant an awful lot.

That leaves just Roy, Stewart, Walsh and Morrison to discuss. Roy's a weird one. Again he did some really positive things going forward, but he passed up quite a few chances in the first half, and his decision making isn't great. I'd stick with him though, he can be a threat.

Stewart was Stewart. A serious grafter, who gave his all for the team. He was very unfortunate to have a goal disallowed after Paul McLean misjudged a high ball, and had another chalked off a few minutes previous for offside. I like him more by the week though and, with The Prince out for the foreseeable, he will be a major player for us.

Walsh looked our main threat creatively, however he has an uncanny net of being let down by his finishing. Too many times balls were fired straight into Smith's gloves, or sent rolling harmlessly wide. Frustrating, as he could've had a couple today.

Then there's Morrison...I mean he runs about a bit, but I honestly don't have a clue what he brings. We looked worse with him up top and Stewart out wide, and he didn't really do anything. He's poor in the air. He's not great on the ground. He's not physical. He's not full of clever wee flicks and the like. I just don't really get it.

Result aside I loved that today. Glebe Park is the best ground in the country, and sums up everything I love about football. You get close, can have a chat with opposition fans and it isn't lifeless and sterile. When we do go down I'll be delighted to get to visit places with that sort of character weekly.

That's a brilliant result that I wasn't expecting. Hopefully some of the casualties can get back to full fitness before we play Dunfermline in three weeks. This wee break for the cups really couldn't have come at a better time for us. From what I've read on here, Brechin haven't really had any luck this season and I do feel for them tonight with the loss of a last minute og. Maybe that luck will change and you go on a wee run and we can leave Falkirk and Inverness in the bottom two. All in all, I'm delighted but imo folk setting off fireworks in celebration is a tad over the top!

Make no mistake, that was an absolutely massive result for us. It will give us a nice boost at a difficult time, and will be a massive run, jump and kick in the stones for Darren Dods and his team.
I thought we deserved the win over the 90. Scott Gal made a low save from an effort from the edge of the box in the first half, and Liam Watt cracked one off the crossbar in the second, but that aside Brechin looked seriously poor. How many times did they get in a decent position for a cross, and then fire the ball directly out of play?
Speaking of Scott Gal I'm delighted he got a clean sheet. He's very much a confidence player imo, and the symbolic side of that alone should be a boost. Our other much-maligned players did reasonably well too. Dowie had a few typically shaky moments, but defended pretty solidly, and I heard him speaking like a captain a few times "Come on Walsh wee man, need to be better, lift it" "Ally don't be afraid to go at them". Liked that.
Hutton was very good. He swept about the midfield winning challenges and very rarely lost possession. Alongside him Carsy looked as good as ever. He even came close to scoring what would be his first senior goal in 159 games, only to be denied from the edge of the area by an excellent Graeme Smith save. He's such a good, quicker passer of the ball and acted like a metronome in the heart of midfield.
Finalising the maligned list is SeaGal, who had a good first-half, and then a fairly poor second. There are times where he looks really clever and confident, and others where he looks miles out his depth. Weird player, but more effective on the wing than Stewart.
Aside from them I though Dougie Hill was excellent. Again. He won near enough everything in the air, flew into challenges and didn't Isaac Layne or Connor McLennan get the better of him at any point. Andy Graham's boots have been filled by him in the uninspiring and old but courageous, hard and lovable role.
Wardrop and Boomer both looked better going forward than defending, as per, but when they did get forward they were amongst our main threats. Boomer had a great game, and was rewarded with the assist for the goal. He fired a few belting deliveries into the area - only to see them passed up. I love how much passion he has too, the goal clearly meant an awful lot.
That leaves just Roy, Stewart, Walsh and Morrison to discuss. Roy's a weird one. Again he did some really positive things going forward, but he passed up quite a few chances in the first half, and his decision making isn't great. I'd stick with him though, he can be a threat.
Stewart was Stewart. A serious grafter, who gave his all for the team. He was very unfortunate to have a goal disallowed after Paul McLean misjudged a high ball, and had another chalked off a few minutes previous for offside. I like him more by the week though and, with The Prince out for the foreseeable, he will be a major player for us.
Walsh looked our main threat creatively, however he has an uncanny net of being let down by his finishing. Too many times balls were fired straight into Smith's gloves, or sent rolling harmlessly wide. Frustrating, as he could've had a couple today.
Then there's Morrison...I mean he runs about a bit, but I honestly don't have a clue what he brings. We looked worse with him up top and Stewart out wide, and he didn't really do anything. He's poor in the air. He's not great on the ground. He's not physical. He's not full of clever wee flicks and the like. I just don't really get it.
Result aside I loved that today. Glebe Park is the best ground in the country, and sums up everything I love about football. You get close, can have a chat with opposition fans and it isn't lifeless and sterile. When we do go down I'll be delighted to get to visit places with that sort of character weekly.

Is it possible that it's Barr that's been making Hutton look poor rather than the other way around as I think you have previously suggested

Is it possible that it's Barr that's been making Hutton look poor rather than the other way around as I think you have previously suggested

Quite possibly. Although he's also been partnered with Wilson and Carswell (from the top of my head) and looked poor with them too. Barr in central mid alongside him won't have helped though.

What a pleasant day out and thank you to Brechin for use of facilities etc. Other part time teams in league officials could learn a lesson on how to treat guests.

overall I thought we just about edged it and deserved win.

i thought Hutton was clear mom and a few others did fine. Worth mentioning Scott gall who although not having much to do was faultless . Good to see carsewell back in form.

Concern that we didn’t create enough or really look like scoring but we’ll take it. 

I’ve said before the coaches are bereft of any tactical awareness. Goalie awful,Lynas dropped?? Dyer is, Dale is guaranteed to be so poor it’s sore, Watty looks a stone overweight and Isaac well cmon.Dumbarton were 5/6 first choices down and we still couldn’t threaten their goal. Not accepting excuses we were crap.Dropping players who have done well does nothing for confidence and playing players week in week out no matter what says it all. HELP!!!!!!!

What a kick in the stones that was, I don't think we deserved to lose the game but when you are at the bottom of the league you get no luck, I think Dumbarton were slightly the better team, but there wasn't much in it!

Just show how people see games different I thought watt was our best player, and I thought lynas cost us the goal, he has been good but what is he doing diving in? He does dive in a lot! Absolute crazy just knock it out for a corner! 

Back 3 again we're good as was buzz,

wing backs both have played better but neither has a terrible game, 

dale was dale and sinclare was ok

issac brutal again Conner much better 

orsi tried his best against big hill and dowie but they strolled it we really miss hill he leads by example in games not the most vocal but you could see he fired his team up defusing arguments and constantly asking boys to dig in , can we have him back? 

Your right we all seem to think different guys were poor today.
We lacked someone to grab the game by the bas. I don t mind him rotating things as I think we re well enough covered maybe apart from up front .
And a wee mention for Fusco who's had a wee run and got better every game . He took 3 guys out with a pass 2nd half .

Again that was bloody awful,Dodds with his useless tactics,today was the day to get our first win with Dumbarton struggling for a team yet he again fucks it up.I wouldn't even wait until we see what happens at the Buckie game,get that useless Dodds out now.

Archived